Can we talk about the book?

Someone made me aware the Exploring Kalimdor book released recently, and I’m going to post their bullet points below.

“If you want a basic rundown:
-Zekhan is racist towards Goblins
-Zekhan couldn’t read or write until Lore’themar taught him, and doesn’t understand the basic concept of erosion.
-Zekhan believes the Night Elves should just get over the Burning of Teldrassil and doesn’t understand why they’re still so mad.
-Gazlowe is as abusive and cruel as Gallywix to his workers.
-Rexxar willingly beat up workers to force them into submission.
-There were no survivors at Camp Taurajo.”

I’m really enjoying the doubling down on this trainwreck of a story. Has anyone read it and care to share their thoughts?

16 Likes

I don’t see how listing negative traits about certain characters makes it a trainwreck. Would you prefer it if they were all benevolent paragons of goodness?

7 Likes

Sorry, I don’t want to put words in my friend’s mouth. All they did was list some of the bullet points of the story, which is what I quoted. It’s my opinion that Warcraft’s story in general has become an enormous train wreck, and I’m enjoying watching it.

We can call Zekhan being an idiot savage that doesn’t know how to read until the kind and benevolent pale elf teaches him good writing if you really want though :wink:

I’d prefer it if they weren’t caricatures of the Horde as uncivilized savages :rofl: Oh, and if Blizzard’s solution to any and every problem wasn’t “Retcon it” :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

…Wait what

Didn’t we literally interact with Taurajo survivors in Horde questing?

9 Likes

Not anymore!

2 Likes

Yikes.

Then why does he even exist? If they’re equally abusive, Gazlowe having principles about Sylvanas’ actions would make no sense. Gosh this writing is stupid.

I long for the day when Blizzard’s writers learn that random retcons are stupid. I’m personally going to just refuse to acknowledge this plotline because there were survivors, and an entire damn questline in the Barrens was centered around the nuanced reason of why there were.

10 Likes

Did someone come along and suffocate the NPCs with a pillow after us, whispering no survivors?

11 Likes

If this was actually canon I would totally be on board.

Whoa whoa whoa, Danuser can’t take all the credit. This was written by someone different.

2 Likes

I corrected that and made a broader statement that is true

1 Like

to be fair, there were only 7 tauren at the camp to begin with.

1 Like

My in-universe best guess is that Zekhan is about as good at observing his surroundings as Harry Potter, and even worse at just believing whatever someone tells him without questioning it.

Because unreliable narrator is the only way to make sense of some of it.

2 Likes

You edited while I was looking up the author :stuck_out_tongue: I’m going to leave it just so everyone knows that really it’s the narrative team in general.

1 Like

I love how Rexxar went from challenging the tyranny of the Stonemaul clan’s chieftain to becoming a tyrannical chieftain himself. Excellent character development as usual Blizzard, thank you!

8 Likes

dang bro they made zekhan based af

1 Like

Reading that, I get the feeling that the Blizzard employee who wrote this is inserting his own thoughts into this, lmao. At least it shows in the lore.

7 Likes

Is there anything these writers are not going to destroy ??

3 Likes

I’m sure you already know the answer to that :rofl:

3 Likes

This part is… really bad. I’d explain why, but this is GD.

He says that perhaps the Horde should never be forgiven. He said he couldn’t understand why the Night Elves were throwing their lives away to fight the Horde. (The Kaldorei never signed the armistice.)

1 Like

So you actually read the book? Is it really as bad as the articles I’ve found about it say?

I didn’t get it, but I know people who got it, and the read the whole thing on the first day, and they’re mad. A bunch of pages and a summary were posted on the story forums, and that’s where I got my info. The book basically keeps the status quo. There’s no reason Tiragarde Keep should still be around.

3 Likes