Can we have more privacy in forums to feel more safe?

Right, and you still do not know the true risk and dangers of anonymous posting. Would you like me to give you an example, of a real case, caused from anonymous chat rooms and forums?

In 2020, Australian comedian Magda Szubanski experienced coordinated online abuse after appearing in a commercial encouraging people to wear masks to help contain the spread of COVID-19 – much of the abuse came from anonymous users.

https://www.esafety.gov.au/industry/tech-trends-and-challenges/anonymity

8 Likes

I linked a similar article in the first thread they made.

Won’t do a bit of good.

7 Likes

It is anonymous for users not blizzard. Lol. Suggestion would work to get more privacy for users in a paid game.

So your goal then is to create an anon forum where there is no character permanance at all, not even the throw away chars we have no. You know it will create massive amounts of disruption and abuse based on other websites that use the anon model. You are ok with creating tons more work for mods to have to deal with the anon mess.

You think that is an argument that is going to sway Blizzard? Every admin out there knows the basic account models and what sort of behavior occurs with each. Suggesting a model well known for abuse and that would increase moderation workload, is not a winning business suggestion.

Especially when the problem you want to solve is privacy - which you admit you already have. Your real life info is safe and nobody bothers you in game. You can even make infinite characters with the current system to switch to if you don’t want someone remembering you posted the opposite opinion the week before.

Blizzard and its partners (such as marketing and analytics providers) shall have the right to monitor and/or record your communications when you use the Platform, and you acknowledge and agree that when you use the Platform, you have no expectation that your communications will be private. Blizzard shall have the right to disclose your communications for any reason, including: (a) to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request; (b) to enforce the terms of this Agreement or any other Blizzard policy; (c) to protect Blizzard’s legal rights and remedies; (d) to protect the health or safety of anyone that Blizzard believes may be threatened; or (e) to report a crime or other offensive behavior.

you have no expectation that your communications will be private

Blizzard’s Ownership

• All Accounts, including the name of the Account and any Battle Tags associated with an Account
  • All data and communications generated by, or occurring through, the Platform;
  • Characters: The names, likenesses, inventories, and catch phrases of Game characters;
  • Items: Virtual goods, such as digital cards, currency, potions, weapons, armor, wearable items, skins, sprays, pets, mounts, etc.;
10 Likes

Oh what are you requesting for? :thinking:

How about this, “Why don’t you prove that anonymous posting will protect privacy with actual facts and to what is actually private?”

4 Likes

If we get anon posting like that I’m writing lewd fan fiction and sticking it around here.

3 Likes

Now saying that outloud, it does make OP “This is an MMO i want to RP on the forums” argument weird in retrospect because… I’m pretty sure RP also keeps tracks of history, right? And RP is there to also give some uniqueness to the character in question?

1 Like

Can you provide facts based on WoW forum history that it would be bad for the forums?

Were you around for the “T virus” incident?

6 Likes

The nuclear option, eh? :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I can, how about the person who created a throw away account to make a thread of a real-life threat towards another user, practically, towards a MVP, for one recent example.

8 Likes

Oh if I have the means might as well.

1 Like

Why do I get the notion the “Chewbacca defense” is in play…

5 Likes

We have authorities for such incidents if it did actually happened.

Which mvp?

Does… does that matter??

Why do you need to know? Don’t you respect that user’s privacy?

4 Likes

Somehow i suspect that it was a blood elf? From my personal experience in this topic.

So, what you want is to make it also harder for those authorities?

I mean, hey, this is also a risk, and yes, can also happen here within the World of Warcraft forums or let alone, World of Warcraft entirely too.

Sexual predators and scammers also commonly use anonymous, fake, imposter and impersonator accounts to lure victims and gain their trust. For example, a sexual predator may use an avatar in a game to pretend they are the same age and gender as a child so they can become a fake friend and groom them for sexual interaction, which is online child sexual abuse. In catfishing cases, scammers often create a fake profile and pretend to have a personal history and characteristics that are attractive to the victim, so they are more likely to engage online and not be suspicious while in the relationship.

https://www.esafety.gov.au/industry/tech-trends-and-challenges/anonymity

In fact, I think there has been a few cases where people in the WoW community had to deal with situations like these. I think even Blizzard had to deal with this sort of stuff too.

Does it matter who? The thing that matters that it did happen, and can happen. The World of Warcraft forums aren’t exactly 100% full proof of real world problems that takes place on other parts of the World Wide Web.

4 Likes

I remember back in MoP someone wrote a lewd fanfic with me and Garrosh and just flat posted it on the forums

Sadly the hard drive I saved it on died, but if someone else has it for w/e reason, id love a copy

4 Likes

Okay, that’s funny…

2 Likes