Can we get clarification regarding renown catch up?

So, there have been a lot of topics on the forums lately about the catch up mechanic and how it works. I have seen several people say that they opened a ticket after getting stuck at a particular renown level and being told by GMs that the catch up is only in place til the previous week’s cap. However, that does not seem to be accurate.

First, there is a Blizzard support article that directly states that players can earn renown through catch up mechanics until the current renown cap.

Second, myself and many others got stuck last week at renown 19, not 18 (which would have been the previous week’s cap).

I was hoping that the weekly reset would trigger the catch up mechanic again (the last time I got renown was Friday when I turned in the daily calling and went from 18-19, so none of my activities over the weekend earned renown at all- admittedly I mostly did pvp and a few heroics and the callings, no mythic+ this week or raids). I’m working right now so can’t do a whole lot yet but so far I have picked up the calling for today- no renown reward for that (haven’t finished/turned it in yet though so who knows) and 1 heroic, nothing there either.

Theoretically I could do the 2 weeklies but I am trying to hold off on those in case they mess with the catch up mechanic.

I know it’s random and everything but the fact that GMs are telling some people that it’s only meant to catch you up to the previous week’s cap is problematic when a support article says otherwise. The main issue with that is a lot of people (myself included) do the weeklies without thinking much about when we’re turning them in, so if the catch up is capped at the previous week’s cap, and we do this week’s weekly quest prior to that number, then we are stuck with no way of progressing.

Personally I think it’s just bugged but at the very least it would be great to know if the catch up mechanic caps at last week’s cap or this week’s so that I know not to turn in the 2 weeklies until I max my renown catch up (if it ever drops…)

An issue was discovered where some characters weren’t be given the proper catch up rewards. That should be hotfixed as of yesterday. If there are any other issues I’d recommend posting in the Bug Report forum so our QA team can take a look.

3 Likes

In addition to Vrakthris’ post, also realize that the #1 priority is the current week’s weekly quests. This week’s cap is 24. So, if you start the week at 20, you may get three calling quests with a Renown reward. But the first one you turn in, the Renown will disappear from the others.

The system knows when you get to the point where the current week’s activities will cap you. It doesn’t really matter the order. In the above example (at Renown 20), if you turn in Anima and Maw souls this week to get to 22, then you’ll have the final chapter campaign Renown (would be 23), you’ll still only get one Renown from Callings.

Also, be aware that if someone is behind in their campaign, it will count that too. If you’re three chapters behind, catch-up mechanics will factor in those three completions.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you!! Good to know, I will just do some different stuff for a bit and see how it goes.

1 Like

Yeah, the issue I had last week was that I switched covenants on Thursday morning, and by Friday I had done the 2 weeklies + gotten a lot of catch up, so I turned in Friday’s calling which put me to 19 renown but I needed 20 to open the next campaign chapter, so I’ve been stuck since then. But hopefully the hotfix and weekly reset will have resolved it now and I can finally get on track. Thank you for the feedback!

So im my case, I was 22 in Venthy, swapped to Necro and Im now sitting at 11.

I have done my weekly quests but not handed them in yet, should I hold off on handing in and go do dungeons/pvp etc, or whatever else I need to do to get renown?

Cheers

Still having issues. I’m at renown 19. I did not change covenants. This is an alt that I decided to turn into my main character. I have not received any Renown emblems since hitting renown 19 last week. I haven’t touched up the weekly quests this week, hoping that it would correct itself but the Calling quests are not offering any renown rewards. No drops from dungeons. I’m currently making sure I finish all my calling quests to see if that helps, but this is very disheartening, as I feel stuck behind the rest of my guild.