Can we get account wide ignore?

But “yuh huh!”

3 Likes

They can choose not to make a third iteration of a thread that is going to go nowhere.

if someone wants to make a new thread and it doesn’t breach the code of conduct, they are free to make that thread - they should not be precluded from making a thread simply because you don’t want them to…

Nobody is precluding them from making a thread. We are asking that we be able to ignore them and their associated accounts because we believe that they’re either spamming content we don’t want to see, sock puppetting or engaging in troll behavior on an alt.

11 Likes

Or getting around ignores via swapping to an alt to continue talking the other person that has no interest in talking to them after ignoring.

8 Likes

you have an ignore function that you can use today, though.

so let’s look at an example of this, using today’s forum features, ok?

1. someone makes a thread regarding high elves
  2. you have already determined that you don’t want to read threads about high elves
  3. you can see the name of the poster without even entering the thread
  4. you can click the thread, click on the poster, choose view profile, then click ignore and choose forever.
    4 (a). alternatively, should you want to not enter the thread at all, you can go into your preferences > users and type their name into the box, which will ignore them.

i don’t see what needs to be fixed here, it seems like the system would allow you to fully ignore a high elf thread.

Except there’s ways to bypass that via alt switching as I and others have pointed out.

3 Likes

ok well first of all, the blue post in customer service have expressly stated that sockpuppetting is not very common, so that issue doesn’t seem to be very wide-spread.

second of all, you can just repeat steps 3 and 4 in order to ignore the new thread, regardless of who writes it.

if a new person, on a completely different account, writes a new high elf thread, then you would still have to manually ignore that poster and account-wide ignores will not assist here.

I would like to point out that one thing you seem to ignore across some of the threads we have interacted on.

There are some people who we do not want to interact with at all given some of the things they have said. We should be able to ignore their entire account instead of potentially having to deal with them again if they are posting on a different character.

Yes, we could just ignore that character, and then ignore another character, and another one, or we could simply be able to block the person behind the characters which is actually the root of the problem. I don’t see how that is a bad thing.

15 Likes

Do you know how to just not read or react? That works for me.

They’ve moved from “Compromise” to “You already have what you need.” In other words, straight denialism.

We do not have a responsibility to have to view a single account’s posts using multiple characters, particularly once they cross lines using just one of them. Neither does anyone have a right to be seen by everyone regardless.

10 Likes

i never said that they do - which is why i reiterated that the current ignore system will allow you to hide their posts.

And multiple people have clearly spelled out why it’s flawed as it stands. Your answer? Compromise and make it so that we have to opt our accounts in, and can only be ignored on an account level if we choose to let others do so.

In other words, de-fanging a potential solution under the guise of actual improvement.

Let me be excruciatingly clear: Were YOU to make a post making bigoted statements - example only, this is NOT an accusation - I and others should have the ability to ignore you at the account level and not risk coming across you on another character.

8 Likes

ok so let’s just take a step back and look at the issues you are concerned about.

you believe that if one person writes something that you don’t want to see, then you ignore that person and someone else makes a similar post later on, you assume that it must be the same person.

but the blue posts in customer service have said that sock puppetting isn’t very common.

so, the likely answer is that the new person making a similar thread is simply a completely different person that is on a different account and thus account wide ignores wouldn’t function to hide that new post either way.

Ah, now I see where we’re at… “Sit down and deal with it.” Gee thanks. I’ll keep that in mind once someone comes back and says that a particular group is predators.

5 Likes

If you are making bigoted statements, then your ability to post should be restricted anyway.

6 Likes

I guess to put this another way. What do we gain by not having an account wide ignore option? How does not having that option benefit us?

15 Likes

Isn’t always, sadly… sometimes the post is nuked and that’s it.

2 Likes

yes, we already have a safeguard against people saying things like this, the moderators will action any accounts that say something that is against the forums code of conduct.

no, i didn’t say that. i was just reiterating that account wide ignores would not assist in hiding posts if the new posts are written by a completely different person.

and the poster above noted that we do have moderators and a report function, so we can use those tools to report any posts that are against the CoC and a moderator will take care of it.

In effect, saying “keep the status quo” without saying “keep the status quo.”

1 Like