Can we ask for more privacy features in forums to feel more secure?

reporting someone doesn’t do much when they can just make new accounts, though.

i want to feel safe and secure when i play WoW in-game.

1 Like

You can take your pants off your head now. People can’t contact you through your battle tag without your approval. That has already been explained enough that even a child can understand, the likelihood of being contacted in-game for you is near-zero with or without battletags.

I will mail you 1 million gold if you can successfully message me via bnet. My btag is Mal#1700.

3 Likes

Then don’t run your mouth on the forums.

I feel like I’m talking to Steve Eurkle… “Did I do that?”

2 Likes

Fun fact: you can already be contacted in game and added without your consent. All you need is the character name and server. You’ll never know they added you to their friends list.

With battletags, however, you have to approve the friend request and if someone sends it multiple times, you can block them and they can’t request you again.

Battletags are clearly better if you’re worried about being contacted in game :slight_smile:

4 Likes

sending a friend request is a form of contact, though.

1 Like

BattleTags are functionally equivalent to Reddit user names, which you claim to be anonymous.

can you send a friend request to someone using their reddit username to a game that all reddit users share?

1 Like

Place any hateful whispers on ignore and if someone creates a new account purely to contact you, do not partake in the banter with them. Simply place them onto your ignore list and be gone with them.

It would be in your best interest to create a gm ticket explaining that someone is attempting to harass you via bypassing the ignore function.

Also, make sure to set your censor messages button to everyone. This will tell you that a person has whispered you and if you would just like to report it without even reading it.

1 Like

but why should i have to put myself through that process if we can just avoid the whole thing by not having battle tags on the forums?

1 Like

Damn, I was hoping to get that gold :pleading_face:

But nope. “No player named Mal#1700 is currently playing.” Can’t whisper your btag unless we’re friends!

This science experiment was brought to you by Vongola#1794 and associates.

5 Likes

Ah I was typing up a response as you typed that.

I was referring to your in character person not battle tag. Battle tag you simply decline the friends request.

They cannot send you any messages unless you accept.

2 Likes

You can avoid everything by not posting on the forums. You are willingly subjecting yourself to ridicule for your bad takes and nonsensical argument. People have just been nice because they know you will report them for taking your bait.

3 Likes

but they can just send more friend requests, though.

RIP.

(In the event that one of my friends reads this, the offer was specifically for purposes of proving the claim for what it is: nonsense)

1 Like

I attempted to send you a game via the “start chat” button accessable on the battle tag application.

The search bar only searches my friends that I have added and it appears I can not message you unless you add me to friends.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1229850112608702516/1236907556316774410/image.png?ex=6639b76e&is=663865ee&hm=3b781acb4c1b19fc77f2e0833aebc3f5f92fc0da49310954687f24efecb5110f&

Actually if you block the player, they cannot send you more requests.

If you have someone harassing you that badly, it is best to open a GM ticket regarding ongoing harassment.

5 Likes

This is you, correct?

Therefore if I compare something from Reddit to something from Blizzard, that is something that I’m allowed to do without you shifting the goalposts around on me with some silly “gotcha” nonsense.

4 Likes

but we can just avoid this whole process by keeping battle tags off of the wow forums.

do the wow forums require everyone to buy a monthly subscription before they can post? yes.

can anyone view the content on the wow forums without logging into an account and not purchasing any subscription? yes.

so anyone on the internet can come onto the wow forums and find everyone’s btags and send them friend requests.

1 Like

Your logic is “peculiar”, you are not Spock.

2 Likes

Remember: you have to embrace doublethink to properly understand what Madelke is saying.

The exact same thing is true when it benefits Madelke’s argument, and false when it doesn’t.

5 Likes

And you just decline them.

What’s to keep someone from seeing your character name, online, and sending you an in game whisper or mail?

2 Likes