Can Void elves make more?

It’s been a while since I did the recruitment scenario, but I believe there were combat-oriented classes on the chunks of rocks in the distance. Hunters, Rogues, Warriors.

No, I paid a lot of attention to that, and WoWpedia confirms: there were only “void mages” and “void warlocks” blood elves there.

A lot of things imply they are increasing their numbers:

• The presence of rangers, warriors, other martial classes and even civilians in Telogrus.
  • The visiting blood and high elves may be a hint of more void elves being recruited.
  • Their numbers seen in the Lordaeron battle and War Campaign seem very high considering the tiny group that followed Umbric originally.

But nowhere the creation of more void elves is stated, shown or confirmed, nor do we have any source on how they could be doing that.

The cube artifact that transformed them seems lost after the scenario and the islands where it was located are off-limits due to a void storm consuming them. And we know of no other way to create void elves, so any other method is just conjecture at this point.

At this point, Blizzard could both confirm or deny that there are new velves, and neither answer would clash with what we have now.

2 Likes

I’ve always chalked this up to game-scale. There are always enough of a race to do whatever the plot demands, even a race as diminutive in numbers as the Void Elves.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree.

As I edited in my answer after you replied: At this point, Blizzard could both confirm or deny that there are new velves, and neither answer would clash with what we have now.

1 Like

Personally I’d rather there weren’t more Void Elves being created. It implies that there are even more Blood Elves who’d rather defect to the Alliance than we originally thought, and Blood Elf lore has taken enough of a hit as is.

Recruiting from High Elves makes a lot of Umbric’s statements about having to earn the trust of the Alliance pretty odd, since if the Void Elves were High Elves to begin with, that trust would already be established. There might be unease, but still, the Void Elves would’ve been viewed as loyal allies afflicted with a terrible condition, rather than twice-treasonous people toying with powers best left alone.

2 Likes

I agree. I think this alone require a good story to explain, and I suspect we will get a story (good or bad) about it, which is why no explanation was given so far.

But I can also see Blizzard doing the lazy way of storytelling and not giving any special explanation.

The presence of Locus Walker in the Telgorus Rift surrounded by acolytes tells me that the process could be replicated in some fashion to make more Void Elves.

But there hasn’t been official word from Blizzard, so it’s all speculation and headcanon.

2 Likes

Personally I’m open to the idea that the Void Elves, like demons, can reform a new body after being killed, that their souls will return to the Telogrus Rift. It’d certainly make seeing Void Elves amongst the Suicide forces in 8.1 make more sense, and it’d give them a certain edge they could further bring to the table. As long as it’s balanced by a long period of absence taken to reform, I think it’d be the logical way to go about addressing their population issue.

2 Likes

Personally, I hate that idea. I really dislike the thought of them being immortals.

1 Like

To be fair, there are so few of them and being able to reconstitute a physical form in the Telogrus Rift doesn’t mean they won’t go insane from the Whispers, so it feels like a decent way to make the, “Benefits,” of being a Void Elf clearer, without being over-powered. Not only that, but you’d have potential antagonists who would NEVER GO AWAY.

At least until their souls are destroyed.

To me, robbing them of their mortality removes all the stakes for them because ultimately they are lying to themselves and Azeroth, their non-transformed kin and everything else ultimately won’t matter to them anymore. They are condemned to become insane immortal abominations and the mortal affairs are just a waste of time.

I would really hate it in a playable race. And, in my mind, it would make the void elves a trick from Blizzard: these are not elves, they are just abominations of the void pretending to be elves. They will never get to form their own people, and they’ll never have to care about mortal affairs.

1 Like

Well you see. When a mommy void elf and a daddy void elf love each other very much, or at least for a few minutes…

1 Like

Ok, ok. We got it.

5 Likes

I somehow missed this amazing reply.

Yes, I agree. We don’t know what happens when void elves mate (or mate with a high/blood elf or even a human), or even if they are fertile. But it wouldn’t be good for a child to have the void whispering in its mind and influencing its body, that’s for sure.

I too hope they flesh out the void elves more. They are in desperate need of story development.

I’m trying again to reach the devs and get an answer, via Twitter.

Maybe if more people like it and reply to it, we may get their attention?

The tweet is here: https://twitter.com/DeicideUH/status/1071055150284984321

1 Like

I still like the idea of void elves biting blood elves to turn them :upside_down_face:
do eeet! bite those blood elves!

1 Like

Should void elves also sparkle in sunlight?

1 Like

the have a dark sparkle, like purple glitter. And it’s under a black light. I always bite belves on my velf and then in Thalassian tell them they’ll turn into a void elf on the next witching moon.

1 Like

I am late to the party, but having finally unlocked VEs, myself, and had a good look around the Telegonus Rift, I’d say that while the accident that produced the VEs, which we see in the recruitment mission, was a unique incident, there are clearly new students - high elf and blood elf pilgrims - come to study in Telegonus.

I think that it is implied that more Void Elves are coming into being, voluntarily, through measured, deliberate and careful steps.

Just as Elves can still become Satyrs, long after Sargeras and Xavius ceased to be on terms, I think that the Elvish propensity for meddling in cosmic forces way too big for them is in full swing, and the total number of Void Elves is increasing beyond the small number of followers caught up in Master Umbric’s original whoopsie.

1 Like

Implied, yes. Confirmed, no.

It’s been almost 14 months since void elves were introduced, and we still don’t have a clear answer.

1 Like