Can the Old Gods ever be done well?

I prefer my Old Gods rare.

Give them to us RAW AND WRINGLIN’

I don’t mind Argus being a single patch because the Legion has been the main villains for

WC1 (via proxy: The old Horde)
WC2: Tides of Darkness (via proxy: Gul’dan)
WC3: Reign of Chaos
WC3: TFT (via proxy: Illidan)
TBC
WoD
Legion

And you had wrath which the main villain was a creation of the Legion. If Legion ended with ToS and Kil’jaeden escaping again, it would get boring having them showing up for another time.

N’zoth has only really been majorly involved in 1 expansion (cata) and he didn’t even show up in it. N’zoth was being built up as Warcrafts secondary antagonist and he dies in an expansion where he is the secondary antagonist. A MINION OF N’ZOTH WAS THE MAIN VILLAIN OF AN EXPANSION!!!

Although it is my headcanon that Madness of Deathwing was actually N’zoth taking direct control over Neltharion, mainly due to the lore paragraph in the dungeon journal saying that Neltharion is now gone and all that is left is the Old God corruption made manifest.

He is the weakest old god while the players have been boosted to super saiyan god super saiyan levels.

That’s precisely why I feel like they deserved better. They’ve been the Main Antagonists of the Warcraft Franchise as a whole since the very beginning.

Ideally, Legion would’ve ended with the ToS, yes, but following the same way as it did. Kil’jaeden dies, and Illidan uses the thingie to bring Argus to us, making it very clear what comes next… “World of Warcraft: Dreadlords of Argus”

1 Like

3 Legion focused expansions in a row, no thank you. There is a reason why you hardly saw any Legion bases on the Broken Isles (Orc fatigue from MoP and WoD!)

Also it wouldn’t make much sense as Sargeras now as a very large portal to Azeroth. When you enter ABT, he is already surrounding Azeroth.

With all the buildup of N’Zoth in Cataclysm and a few parts in Legion he honestly should have had his own expansion. Ny’alotha would have been cooler if it were it’s own questing hub instead of just a raid.

However, I’m trying not to be too disappointed about because I’m viewing it as Blizzard taking wow a step back in the right direction. PvE material, fighting old gods and legion, is much better stuff than faction war story. And even though it’s not all as grand as I would have liked, I am looking forward to seeing Ny’Alotha ingame finally.

1 Like

WoD had one (1) Legion-focused zone and raid, while the rest was entirely Orc-focused.

It’d require some changes here and there to work… like say, a real Army of the Light instead of 50 Draenei on a failing ship

The Legion acted as the secondary antagonists until patch 6.1, where Gul’dan takes over the Iron Horde.

And like i said before, it wouldn’t make much sense for Argus to be its own expansion considering that the gateway connecting Argus and Azeroth is large enough for Sargeras to reach our little baby titan. When you enter ABT, you can already see Sargeras (as a giant space cloud) surround Azeroth. And we assault ABT shortly after we do SotT lorewise.

How would an actual army of the light stop a titan?

If it wasn’t for the very weakened Pantheon (mainly Eonar) we would’ve lost to Argus.

I dunno, thousands or hundreds of thousands of spaceships?

What was stopping Sargeras from just cleaving Azeroth in half after we killed his general and were dismantling the throne of the Legion anyway? Dramatic timing?

1 Like

C’Thun was done the best because Blizzard was still a humble company at the time.

2 Likes

tech speaking we havent actually beaten an old god yet we beat up a small part of an old god while the rest was locked in a prison we only encountered the small very tiny part of them? its also very left open that by doing so we actually let them free as they dont actually die kinda like the demons unless its under specific circumstances blizz have left it super vague and this more than likely being they have no idea what to do with them but its does give an option for them to return more powerful

Primarily his preference for claiming and corrupting Azeroth into another fel titan. The Scepter of Sargeras Artifact backstory showed that he’d become obsessed with doing so rather than just killing her outright.

Which arguably makes sense; the universe is a big place and the Pantheon didn’t necessarily discover every possible slumbering titan in the entirety of creation. As far as Sargeras knew, any successfully void-corrupted titan in some remote, uncharted corner of reality could prove to be nigh unstoppable, so he’d have wanted the most powerful titan ever discovered to be corrupted into his new Fel Pantheon just in case that eventuality ever came to pass.

Sargeras wanted to add Azeroth to his dark Pantheon. You can’t do that if you slice her in half.

Hence why Sargeras stabbing Azeroth at the end of ABT was a last ditch effort and not the plan from the get go.

Well, if he took long enough that we managed to solve the whole Lu’ra problem, recruit the Kro’kul, fix the Army of the Light, take down Antorus, and all the other stuff we did in Argus, I don’t see why it couldn’t be stretched to a whole expansion with a few more stuff to slow him down even further.

2 Likes

I think the Old Gods can be done right, if they don’t toss in the copout of OlD GoD CorRuPtIoN. It was the fear of the unknown that really sold their place in the cosmic equation, not just tentacles and eyeballs.

If beings from beyond the starry veil or beneath the deep sea were to enter the world, it would be cool. I would even be happy that the answer to these cosmic threats wasn’t to kill the BBEG, but to seal the wound in the world before the veil is thin enough to be breached and the ancient evil to cross over into the other side of the world.

1 Like

Did you ignore the part where I said he was already starting to encircle Azeroth when we actually make our attempt to attack the burning throne? You can see him as the orange space cloud when you zone into the raid. And when we actually assault the burning throne itself, he is fully around Azeroth, which you can see more clearly when you get to the seat of the pantheon.

Well where was he before? In between the portal opening and us finally doing three-raids-in-one? We didn’t clean up Argus in a single day, did we?

The whole point of our assault on Argus was to defeat the Legion before the Legion could bolster their forces from the other worlds they are assaulting to defend the Burning Throne. Hence why we defeat Portal Keeper Hasabel, cutting the Legion off from getting reinforcements via their portal networks. We also had to rush things as we learn from Argus himself that Sargeras already has Aggramar in his dark pantheon, and he has four other titan souls already in the process of being converted. So it was a race against time from the moment Illidan used the Keystone.

Who knows where Sargeras was from the portal opening to when we assault the burning throne, or how long it took. In game time gating is not lore.

Also what do you mean three raids in one?

That’s like saying “throw a bear and an ant into the ring and let them fight!” but to make it a little more fair we’ll use a koala bear and a fire ant. Like…c’mon. It’s still ridiculous.

1 Like