Can someone explain why engineering is so good?

So i’ve kept hearing engineering is so good and every time i ask in chat why it’s so good people just keep saying because it is. Can someone please tell me why it’s so good? Can someone please explain why it’s so good in pvp and why it’s so good in pve? How it benefits each individualy or give me a link to something that explains that?

Because it has a lot of utility which is better than just pure damage.

You have the frag belt which gives you an extra stun.
You have rocket boots which go super fast.
You have parachute cloak which lets you float from high places.
You have rocket gloves which lets you shoot people every minute.

That’s better than the +60 str you might get from all the blacksmithing bonuses.

1 Like

Haste gloves for snapshotting or just flat dps increase
saronite bombs/sappers are extra damage off the gcd, literally free dps boost
rocket boots for mobility, avoiding mechanics, repositioning, mass aoe pulling
access to dalaran AH (only engis)
Jeeves

3 Likes

All of this OP

The snap shotting of the gloves or even just the fact it’s a burst of dps increase vs flat stat is the main reason.

The value of the same stat total (Eng is same stat total as any other proff when looking at glove tinker) being given durring your cds and lining up every time as only a 1 min cd on the Eng effext is quite a bit more than a constant boost.

A effect that is scaled by your dps cds always when active or every other time when active will always be better than a effect of the same stat power level wise but is only scaled for a vary small tots of its total effect by your dps cds.

Eg 300 stat for 20 secs on 60 secs cds vs 100 star perm is the same total stats

But for a 2 min 20 percent cd class with 20 sec duration cds thar 300 is in effect 110 stats rather than the just 103.3 from the perm boost due to the better scaling with your dps cd.

This is due to 300 x1.2 (dps cd boost) x 20 secs is 7200 than worth 0 outside that 20 secs it’s than worth 6000 (300x20 secs) durring the use without the 2 min cd for a total of 13200 avg over 2 min is a avg of 110 stat.

Vs the perm is worth 100x1.2(dps cd) for 20 secs so 2400 than 100 for 100 secs so 10000 a total of 12400 avg over 2 min as 103.3

Thai gets even better as you pile more cds on top which is what dps classes do like blood lust or haste procs.

Snap shotting allowing you to keep the full effect on some spells perm is gravy on top.

This alone already makes Eng top than you add all the extra Eng has on top there is nothing that comes close for dps classes.

Tanks and healers it’s more of a grey zone for but the utility is still to good to pass up making Eng always one of the top 3 options so almost never not worth getting.

What do you mean by snap shotting?

stuff like DK gargoyle or dots snapshot your stats at the time of cast and as long as those things are active they tick and do dmg at those values even if you yourself no longer have those stats

Snap shorting is locking in stats on a spell.

For example shadow preist can renew shadowword pain on a target with mind flay.

So long as mind flay renews it sw pain never looks at current toons buffs and maintains all buffs from time of the hard cast of shadow word pain.

This allows you to lock in a higher spell power level by only casting shadow word pain at that higher level than only using mind flay to renew.

This lets you for example lock in the Eng glove cd and trinkets for the entire fight on shadow word pain for higher gains. In the case of my above exmaple of Eng being worth 300 stat you would be able to have 100 percent uptime on that 300 stat vs 100 from any other, on that one spell giving for that one spell a 3x return from Eng vs any other proff.

There is many other examples of this.

This makes for some classes like shadow priest rather than Eng being the norm 5-10 percent better when looking at only glove enchant it can be a massive 50 percent or more better than the next best.

1 Like

oh neat. i’ve been doing snap shotting for awhile without even knowing what it was. LOL. Also thank you everyone for all your replies. you’ve really helped me decide on changing my professions with after looking at what engineers get in woltk. so TY everyone for actually answering my question with an actual response instead of what i’ve been getting in the game which was “it’s just good man”.

You’re a gnome, you should be lecturing us why engineering is good instead of asking us.

also the gnomish lightning generator trinket

1 Like

Engineering’s pretty good

it makes alot of money for starters

The rocket gloves have pretty long range too. I forget what it is but in PVP you can keep people in combat with them, you can pull with them as a tank, etc.

I love the rocket gloves

Because you can use it in pvp but that is soon to change…

Vast majority of people saying engineering is BIS, won’t be able to explain why. They’re just parroting some streamer, the same way they parrot any other factoid they picked up.

What engineering actually gives you:

On use haste enchant for gloves:

340 for 12 seconds every minutes. This works out to be 68 haste to gloves, if you use it perfectly.

That’s good of course, but you’re also giving up your glove enchant. So things like 20 hit, 20 expertise, 28 spell power.

They have a fairly unique boot enchant that gives 28 crit rating, and an on use movement burst. This IS strong, especially on fights where you need to move quickly, but it’s another case of trade off.

Boot enchant means you miss out on things like 12hit/crit.

It has other utility things that are good, especially in PvP. But from a PvE perspective, I think they are overrated. In a perfect scenario where you get to turret, and where your class highly values haste, they are probably very strong. But I am biased, I hate on use bonuses, they’re too easily turned into wasted garbage by a badly timed mechanic that makes you move, or makes the boss immune, or otherwise pushes you out of turreting.

My spec of choice is moonkin, and spell power has a higher weight than haste. Hit to cap, spellpower, crit, haste. Engineering has nice utility that would be fun, but I think I’ll get more mileage out of the spell power proc from tailoring, and the raw spell power from mixology.

The haste buff alone is why most people will have picked engineer. Since this can be stacked with normal class CDs/trinks, it is far better than any normal glove enchant. But this is only the starting point for engineer. It then gets an exclusive belt enchant which is a free bomb every CD. The parachute/rocket will be more situational but can be put on alternate items for switching out.

Wowhead stated it also consumed your potion use via combat/healing/etc in 3.1 and beyond as well. If so… that’s a pretty big trade off just to get back to a boss quicker.

If a trinket procs, yes, the later versions using the gloves locked trinkets for 12sec and vice versa, to prevent burst. Unless they undo this change, the only time gloves will line is up if trinkets have a natural PPM and simply sync.

This is a common mistake. You’re not just weighing it against other glove enchants, of which there are several very good ones, but ALSO against unique bonuses from other professions.

It’s pretty well balanced in reality, tends to be roughly 68 of a stat. For engineering, it’s haste. But also in the form of an on use, which is only 68 average if you use it perfectly.

As one stated, simply Utility.

Look at most, if not all other professions, they do mainly one thing. They harvest or craft a wearable item or a consume / enchant, etc.

Make gear…you wear it.
Make a health pot / elixir, you pop it and done.

Engin…bombs to stun, gadgets to go invis, cc people, teleport, repair, breathe underwater, swim faster, sappers, stuff I dont even know about anymore in wrath probably.

And unlike some professions that might be better used by a certain class or not, Engin’s utility can be used by all.