Can Blizzard invest in some better

Can activision - blizzard invest in some better servers or whatever the issue is? I have personally never witnessed the extent of the failures of patch day as I have this xpac. Every week its always bad, every week l have to spend like 10+ minutes just waiting to leave my covenant or be unable to use portals.

o.O

I’m going to assume you weren’t around when the Burning Crusade dropped. There were a number of issues back then. So many so, that people were granted gamet time due to the game being completely down for extended periods of time.

As for their servers, they run on some of the most advanced tech around.

I know people love to try and pretend (due to ignorance) that Blizz doesn’t invest in servers or employees for that matter, but those people would be patently wrong.

Lastly, Activision has nothing to do with Blizzard’s day-to-day running of the company.

12 Likes

No. “Activision - Blizzard” is simply a larger holding company, and the day-to-day decisions of how to spend money do not rest with them.

Evaluating new technology is always an endeavor for every company. Over the course of this game, the physical servers have been upgraded many times.

Your personal experiences do not drive large-scale company-wide decisions. Contact Tech Support if you are having issues.

When you expect perfection, you are always going to be disappointed. That said, patch day was much worse in vanilla. It has nothing to do with what expansion we are in. If there are any extenuating circumstances that are affecting patch day, you may want to look at the current pandemic, and the challenges that lie therein.

5 Likes

Nope wasn’t around in bc, joined in mid wrath. Don’t recall any patch day where servers weren’t down but it might as well be if it meant they wouldn’t have the issues with moving from zone to zone.

It isn’t the hardware, Hook. All I can address is that all portions of the realm don’t necessarily ‘wake up’ at the same time. As you’ve observed, it can sometimes take 5-10 min for everything to be firing on all cylinders. This actually isn’t necessarily a new phenomenon. Mail and the AH have historically taken a bit longer as well. I know this has been being looked into, but the surest way to avoid it is just waiting about 10 min after realms return to log in. Not a great answer - I know, but it does usually work.

6 Likes

So does this mean that 30min into it people can’t take flight paths, can’t get to orbos and can’t really do anything?

I mean if this is a issue of just them coming online and not being ready, then why not start them up and not let people login till they are “warmed up.”

1 Like

Because, generally, everything is fine when you log in after maint. I am often in “gameplay” mode during maint, so I log in before it’s done (when allowed), watch the servers go from grey to green, log in and go.

As players we need to have a bit of flexibility. Blizzard actually requires we do, which is why they tell us up-front (before we pay) that servers might be unreliable at times, down for maint, down for extended maint, broken, etc.

They tell us this, that we need to go with the flow, and we all say, “yes.”

Despite the “Blizzard flicks the switch in the basement,” jokes surrounding maintenance, we are talking about hugely complicated hardware and software that takes teams of people to maintain.

Even rockets we launch towards the moon or Mars sometimes fail and explode on the launchpad … and I can’t think of anything else more technically involved that the human race does. Maybe the LHC, and the LHC definitely has bugs and issues all the time.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsta.2014.0044

Just sayin’.

2 Likes

40 minutes after the login servers and realms are available and there are still some significant issues. I think there’s probably some understandable frustration out there.

I’ve been in Bastion watching people fall through the sky for a while.

3 Likes

At 40 min, you’d be correct, Crepe - and I do hope anyone experiencing that posts in Tech so it can be followed up further. You should really never fall from the sky.

When a zone isn’t ‘awake’ yet it should just refuse to transport you, which is why portals sometimes won’t work. Although if in midflight on a bird, that could get tricky. They did considerable work on that portion the first week after release and while we still sometimes see reports of it, it isn’t nearly as common as it was initially.

2 Likes

Personally l don’t see why they don’t just get the servers up entirely instead of all the issues. I might complain if its all day but if they keep the servers offline or make players unable to connect to them for about 10-25 minutes then I would be having less of an issue with it.

I’ve fallen in ardenwield, it was interesting.

Sadly, there are people that complain that maintenance even exists, or if maintenance goes over the allotted time for even a minute. There is no easy fix for people’s expectations.

While Blizz could keep the servers down until they’re all “warmed up”, there is no guarantee that would work. One or two might be cranky and take longer. People will then complain it took longer. And the realms that can come up will have people complaining they could have gotten on them 20 minutes early.

Patience, padawan. Patience.

Lately, the only issue…more non issue is that looting a mob seems to take longer. Compared to classic looting, it’s fast, but for retail there is a delay and it’s been going on for weeks.

I “fall” or rather load under the map every time I’m returning from a BG in Maldraxxus when using a flight point. The space worm flies from under the map back to the Oribos gate then continues on its regular trajectory.

2 Likes

:skull_and_crossbones:
That’s Pirate to you! Well not a char I’ve played since legion but yeah. :rofl:

They do. The vast majority of the time.

The behavior people are experiencing right now isn’t the norm.

I do wish someone maintained a calendar noting the issues, if any, each maintenance day. A lot of bias and hyperbole surrounds these days, when the fact remains that the servers are incredibly reliable when you compare issue-free up-time to problem-laden down-time.

1 Like

What you see as a realm isn’t just one server. It’s a bunch of independent (but connected) ones, that all have to get started, get their databases connected, etc. When a realm shows online, that just means the realm server is online. All of the world servers that handle other things have not necessary gone online yet.

1 Like

FYI, If this is a new issue for anyone here, the NE part of the country is having some outage issues.

If a recurring issue, then obviously disregard my post.

1 Like

Also, remember that when maintenance ends, there’s a massive rush of players trying to log in. To be fully honest, if you want to have a hand in helping…don’t login the second realms go live. Take an hour, watch a movie, anything to not contribute to the bottleneck.

I promise you, the game will still be there.

1 Like

How long ago was BC now? Should we not expect any improvements in a decade?

1 Like

Good thing that we have indeed had plenty of improvements over the years. People just tend to forget about them all when they’re upset about something happening now.

We’ve had server upgrades, greatly reduced down-times for weekly maintenance and I don’t remember the last time the servers were actually down for a whole day…in fact, it might have been back when BC launched.

3 Likes

Yes :frowning: Starting last night/early this morning I think. It is driving me nuts. Edit - just looked it up. Wow…pretty major issues.

And with new tech comes new issues. I don’t think there will ever be software that is bug free or that online environments will be perfectly problem free.

I still have issues with utilities that have been around for decades - my internet has been out 3 times in the past 24 hours. Power goes out from time to time. That is likely to happen no matter how they improve the tech.

Warlords of Draenor launch.

We got 3 or 5 days of game time that was so glitchy.

4 Likes