Calia Menethil's daughter

Finally finished listening to the Before the Storm Audiobook over the holiday, and the question of Calia Menethil’s daughter keeps digging at my head.

I read that there’s a theory that the footman she’s talking about marrying is Bolvar Fordragon, which would mean that their daughter of course would be Taelia.

But if that is so, then I’m confused as to why Calia never would have gone out to find out if her daughter had survived somehow? Bolvar was in Stormwind for several years, advising young Anduin while Varian was missing - a fact that I’m sure wasn’t exactly a secret.

If Bolvar was her secret love, and she had essentially resigned herself to not staking a claim to the throne of Lordaeron, then why not go to him and find out what happened to their daughter?

I’m guessing that the footman she refers to may be someone else… and if so, who?

1 Like

maybe one of the captains arthas had? *shrug *

Bolvar is referred to by Taelia as a Stormwind knight. So he wouldn’t be a Lordaeron footman.

2 Likes

The better question is how that timing is supposed to work at all. Bolvar at most would be available for what four years before WoW proper actually starts?

Edit: Heck, looking at the most likely timeline Calia’s daughter would be around 10 years old even if she was born in the first year after Lordaeron’s fall.

When Arthas came back to Lordaeron with the two Captains, they were already as servants of the Scourge though… so Calia would not have been with either of them trying to flee the Scourge when they attacked Southshore.

It’s a silly theory. The whole point of Calia’s story is that she spent several years living the quiet, isolated life of a common person. Marrying her to another one of the most important humans alive completely destroys the entire theme.

Not saying Blizzard wouldn’t do it, it’s just a stupid idea.

6 Likes

if her daughter is still alive… how old she should be right now? 16?

i don’t think that is taelia because bolvar was not a lordaeron footman.

Around 16-17, depending on the timing of the secret marriage and baby being born, both of which would have occurred before the Scourging of Lordaeron.

Calia’s husband can’t be Bolvar, and her daughter can’t be Taelia.

-Calia’s family died when Southshore was plagued. Bolvar died before that, and Taelia was sent to Kul Tiras long before that.
-Calia married a Lordaeron footman. Bolvar was a Stormwind knight, and he was that even back when Taelia was sent to Kul Tiras during the Third War, the same time Calia got married.
-Calia doesn’t know if her husband is still alive or not. There’s no way she wouldn’t know Bolvar died at the Wrathgate considering how important he was.

It simply doesn’t mesh with what we know about Calia’s family.

2 Likes

The book only states that she was separated from her family during the plaguing of Southshore. I didn’t see anything in there that they died? I think she’s just assuming they died.

It wouldn’t be difficult for Blizzard to come back and say that Sylvannas had some knowledge that Calia was in Southshore, so she decided to just blight the whole city and kill two birds with one stone - and since the Horde was on the offensive anyway, it wouldn’t arouse any suspicions from within the Horde as to what her intentions were.

There were definitely survivors from the Plaguing - some went to Fenris Keep.

1 Like

If he really is a footman, then presumably, he’s some nobody.

If Caila’s family was definitely part of those survivors, then the terrible reality is that they are no longer human, but are in fact Worgen. The heir to Lordaeron, a small child, is a Worgen, and we can thank Darius Crowley and Ivar Bloodfang for that. In the Fenris Keep wowpedia page, it says “The worgen leaders Darius Crowley, Ivar Bloodfang, and some of their forces were found inside trying to convince the humans to drink their blood in order to prevent the refugees from becoming part of the Forsaken. The refugees decided on the lesser of the two evils and drank Darius’ blood, becoming Worgen”

If this part of the lore is ever built upon, we will see the Worgen ruling over Lordaeron, which i see as ironic justice, since we have just taken it from the Forsaken…

2 Likes

I’ll also mention the more distressing part of this, which is this excerpt from the same wowpedia page as mentioned above:

By the time of the Blood War, the Forsaken forces led by Deathstalker Hayward captured Fenris Keep. Alliance champions were sent to annihilate the undead to secure Lordamere Lake with the Bloodfang worgen eventually taking the control of the isle. This forced the Horde to create a distraction along the Misty Shore to lure the worgen out of position, allowing Horde refugees to escape Tirisfal Glades across the water.

I’m in the middle of trying to find out what happened to the Worgen residing in Fenris Keep during it’s capture by Hayward, as upon inspection of the Isle there are no Worgen in sight. No specific names, no notable NPCs, just “Hillsbrad refugee” humans wandering around for the Horde to kill in some sadistic quest. So the current fate of our Southshore Worgen refugees is still unknown…

1 Like

This is REALLY intresting and I don’t know why but kind of chilling too. I thought the Southshore attack was still during the third war or shortly afterwards. But if the child is alive and a Worgen that would be a great story line.

That is intresting. I do know that Ivar Bloodfang and his pack are with the Army of the Black Moon in Darkshore.

3 Likes

If Cailia’s housband was Bolvar, then Taelia would the the daughter of two extremely unique cases of “Undeath”.
Interesting.

3 Likes

It would make sense to keep Taelia away from the Alliance/Horde conflict if she is secretly the legitimate heir to the throne in Lordaeron. Anyone with a legitimate claim to the throne of poses a threat to Sylvannas’ position, and there would be no better place to hide her than under the protection of House Proudmoore in Kul Tiras - who were very close friends with House Terenas and a powerful nation in it’s own right.

The Kul Tirans isolated themselves from the Alliance/Horde conflict, further removing Taelia from danger and potential to be discovered - while Calia secluded herself from world events as well until she was re-introduced to Anduin by Alonsus Faol.

Just thinking about it, what other reason would Bolvar have to have his daughter be living so far away from Stormwind? It’s not like Stormwind isn’t heavily protected and he was in a position of high power - being the Regent Lord and all. Surely he’d want to have his daughter close to keep an eye on her… unless there’s something about her that he needed to keep under wraps?

I think the writers may have taken a bit of inspiration from GoT.

The reason I felt like it was not Bolvar is because Caelia to her husband as ‘one of the footmen’. Whereas Bolvar was a knight of Stormwind. Only thing that still, while possible, sticks as odd to me.

And the child would be a by-blow

it was thrall cause he has a thing for blonde humans. she was in outland and they didnt show them in the cinematic for that reason. sylvanas was attacking thrall cause he was going to put his son on the throne of lordaeron