Buy Orders for AH - Design Proposal

I know this topic has been discussed before.
But… in view of the current auction situation, I think there is even a need to seriously consider adding an auction system to World of Warcraft. The current auction turns out to be inefficient for the large number of offers that are published per day. I see a great need to add a purchase order system.

I have made a few very minor modifications to give you an idea of how I imagine this system could be implemented.

https//i.ibb.co/BZXxnKm/ah-bo-01.png
https//i.ibb.co/cxz4Sy9/ah-bo-02.png

But first of all, they should also consider adding an internal Market Value system, of which you have already been able to in the following topic:

2 Likes

There is a similar system for crafted items in Dragonflight. Something similar could be adopted for mats.

Buy orders would work in gatherers’ favour as they would be the ones trying to outbid other crafters, rather than gatherers trying to undercut each other.

2 Likes

can not wait till the forums are flooded with hey blizzard fix this pricing its not right
all you doing is making us buy tokens.

but you have 1-3 days to finish the orders which is good

1 Like

It is correct, the crafting orders are on the right track, but I feel that it is necessary to do things right and implement Buy orders together with that system.

Copy EVE’s.

all we need.

don’t Elon Musk the wheel to add corners.

1 Like

EVe online, albion online, new world online, etc… many modern games have buy order systems.

So there is zero chance of us giving the AH 2 weeks to settle before trying to “fix” things?

We have already given the auction 2 decades without implementing Buy orders.

Strong argument before the region wide change.

Now it should probably cool for a little bit. Has it even gone 48 hours without massive bugs?

I actually support buy orders. I also support putting everything in the AH, not just commodities. But give it a few weeks to settle.

1 Like

Not only do you have to add buy orders, I also recommend that a market value be made public. I already made a topic talking about that matter, there is a huge difference between the players who use tools like TSM to know the price of the items
The vast majority of players don’t use these tools and only care about selling fast, without worrying that they might be using items below market value.

I concur, but given that only commodities are regional I think it should be limited to that until all items are in the regional pool. I discussed in another post that they could simply adopt the existing algorithm for periodic price adjustments to the WoW Token (which is also a regional thing).

I don’t recommend doing that.
The DEMAND for an object must be defined by the BUYERS through Buy Orders.
And the Market Value, is defined by the SELLERS at the time they managed to sell their merchandise through the current WoW auction

I too want to voice my support for a “Buy Order” type system and I really hope we can get some more dialog between the community and Blizzard about this aspect of the game that has had very little transparency around it for over a decade. I’d love to see some real discussion about what this would look like and how it can be designed.

In regards to waiting for things to settle – I am confident that things will settle a bit and won’t be anywhere near as bad as today. That being said, when you have a region as wide as the East Coast of the US to Oceania, there’s very real physical constraints around “I want to buy X but by the time the request gets to Blizzard’s servers X is gone.” My view is that the current system, as designed, literally cannot solve what is a physical real world problem due to the delay between A and B.

And it’s exactly why the stock market exchanges are designed with both “market orders” and “limit orders,” because otherwise they’d have exactly the same problem. The funny thing is that I’d wager the AH market would rival the Nasdaq in terms of total number of transactions per day.

I appreciate your support for the idea, I wish there was a way to contact someone from the Council. Now I want to do a much more technical post on how various auction house optimization problems could be solved using javascript, json and sql

eve online launched before wow, i dont know if it had its market system on launch or not, if it did it was 2 decades ahead of wow, before wow even launched. Old school runescape allows players to do rudimentary buy orders, not as complex a system as eve but i can still say “i want 10000 iron bars and i will pay 250gp each” and that will sit in the system untill they sell at that price to me

What you say is correct.
The truth is that WoW if you want to move forward to improve the auction house, it is necessary to complement it with purchase orders as you have mentioned. It’s not something that difficult (I’ve done a similar system for Ragnarok Online) and I think Blizzard could do it, it’s just maybe… it needs a little more will.

That’s very likely how the WoW Token pricing works… it adjusts based on demand imbalance between buyers and sellers. I say “very likely” because Blizzard is not transparent about how the price is periodically adjusted. If they were to implement such for commodities, I would very much like for them to disclose the algorithm for periodic pricing.

Yes, whichever way you look at it.
It is necessary to add a purchase order system with such a high number of producers.
Indeed, without a purchase order system, it is impossible to know the demand for an object. It would also be necessary for blizzard to make public how many items are sold per day. We cannot depend on Addons to know those values.

It seems to me an excellent idea, it should be implemented for a real change, much needed

1 Like