Button Bloat from the Perspective of a Middling Player

Nerfing the boss is Blizzard’s way of saying they overturned. If someone can clear before the nerf, then it isn’t overturned, it’s just that hard. It also soils the achievement of the folks who pulled it off in the first place.

Nerfing is a terrible solution unless it’s truly that impossible of a fight.

Or you can use weakauras to be more efficient.

How are you 2900 io and don’t know how weakauras work?

Bearing in mind that I still agree with your overall statement in this thread:
The point you make regarding FFXIV isn’t accurate when comparing apples to apples (endgame wise). While the GCD of normal spells is 2.5s, the amount of weaving you do and order of spells/abilities to be good makes it as complex as WoW in content that isn’t trivial (extremes/savage and upward).

1 Like

People that can’t clear heroic should not be clearing mythic late tier.

Mythic is hard because it’s for people that want a challenge.

The game is fine as is. I did a pug normal last night on my mage. The amount of people that don’t know mechanics this late into the tier is embarrassingly bad. These people should never get a free pass at mythic

That the kind of stuff I’m talking about. Some classes have gotten to a ridiculous place with all the setups.

1 Like

I think mmo’s like gw2 does it fine. Most classes in that game have 25-30 abilities buts its all consolidated into 12-15 keys.

As for macros yes people who are playing a hybrid class absolutely should be using hurt/harm macros. These removed around 10-15 keybinds from my monk.

I’d like to drop Outlaw rogue here. Way too many buttons.

2 Likes

I was really hoping there would be an old school combat path when they first announced talent trees. What a missed opportunity.

2 Likes

You were literally asking for nerfs on the post I quoted, now is a mistake when they actually do it?

The boss was killable, for probably the top 300-400 guilds, before any major nerf.

Bosses get nerfed anyway by gear. If Blizzard made each tier say 100 ilvls and never nerfed bosses. Would that be better? (I think so.)

And to prevent RWF from having all 100 ilvls, can be gated by crests.

Not this time around. Not to the extent they should be at least.

You really do have issues with reading comprehension don’t you. Do you just scan through posts for sentence fragments that delight your inner troll and ignore the rest?

The entire paragraph before your quote provides context as to why I was talking about this, and it has nothing to do with me not using Weak Auras. I was talking about the accessibility of the game to newer players and the fact that Weak Auras are only required because of sub-optimal visual design within the game itself.

I do use WeakAuras. Usually ones that I create myself. But this does not change my opinion that you should not have to use Weak Auras to produce competitive/productive damage output… which you absolutely do at high levels of content.

I will give a specific example. Not for you Snozex, because I know you are just a troll who either doesn’t care what other people say and just wants a fight, but for the other people who are making more productive contributions to the conversation.

Look at the Season 2 and Season 4 set bonus for Fury Warriors:

“(4) Set Bonus: Rampage causes your next Bloodthirst to have a 10% increased critical strike chance, deal 25% increased damage and generate 2 additional Rage. Stacking up to 10 times.”

The principle behind this bonus is that if you cast Rampage a certain number of times, you are guaranteed a critical strike on your next Bloodthirst.

The math contained within the set bonus is simple: 10% stacking 10 times = 100%.

But this is not how the bonus actually works, because it is dependent on your actual critical strike rate, which is effected by both your gear and auras (including temporary and ephemeral auras).

So you need a Weak Aura to maximize the benefits of this set bonus.

But there are two ways this could have been solved within the game that would not have required a Weak Aura:

1. Make the Bloodthirst button glow when you reach 100% critical strike.

2. Change the bonus to something like “Rampage causes your next Bloodthirst to deal 25% increased damage and generate 2 additional Rage. This effect stacks up to 8 times, after which Bloodthirst is guaranteed a critical strike”.

Neither of these methods fundamentally changes the set bonus, but both would have allowed the set bonus to be used effectively without the use of a Weak Aura.

This is the point I was trying to make: I am not opposed to the concept of addons or Weak Auras, but I do think that many addons and Weak Auras exist simply to work around problems that could have been solved (fairly simply) in the game design itself.

5 Likes

Nah I just have an issue with people that flex 6/9 heroic and then claim they are above average.

People new to the game aren’t pushing high end content like mythic or high end mplus where weakauras are needed.

You don’t need weakaura for heroic and under.

Calling me a troll because you aren’t as good as you think you are and can’t refute points is pretty cringe.

No need a sit doesn’t change the point that that optimization isn’t needed for the majority of people in the majority of their content.

They aren’t going to change it because everyone likes the freedom of addons to create their custom setups.

Just look at the ui changes added for DF. Half the population hated them and the other half didn’t.

Blizzard needs people that can go through every spec and look at abilities and ask the fundamental question: “does this ability provide any real benefit to everyday gameplay.”

Outlaw is a great example: Roll the Bones and Slice and Dice. Both abilities are great on paper, they provide various buffs that will overall increase outgoing damage. Do they add anything to actual gameplay though? Absolutely not. They are maintenance buffs that only are used because a player needs them to get the most out of their damage. They add nothing to overall gameplay, they only exist to exist.

You can look through logs all day long and you start noticing a pattern where the vast majority of classes are spending 60-70% of their actions on 3-4 abilities. If the number is that high for such a small number of abilities, people really need to go through and start baking some of these other actions into other abilities OR they need to be completely revamped to provide a more significant impact to gameplay.

5 Likes

There is nothing wrong with the game being improved by addons, we figured out +15 years ago when some of us were just kids, I have faith that new players can download a few WA and configure their UI in 2024.

I think you are projecting. The title of my post includes the words “from the perspective of a middling player” and my claim to be “above average” was surrounded in ample context that I do not believe myself to be of above average skill.

The full quote was:

With such a broad player base, my performance is undoubtedly above average, but only in the most dry and technical sense.”

But just incase it wasn’t clear that I was making reference to the fact that the vast majority of people who play the game to not participate in higher end content at all, the VERY NEXT SENTENCE in my post said:

“I consider myself to be a player of thoroughly average skill, whose performance is slightly boosted by the amount of time I put in to the game and the company I keep.”

I was not “flexing” that I have completed 6/9 heroic. I was providing context to the level of content that I have completed. The raid boss kill count is not an indicator of skill this late in the season. But it is useful context for the level of engagement I have with the game (I am 6/9 heroic because I don’t care enough about raiding to get 9/9 heroic - raiding is a purely social experience for me).

As to your other comments in your latest post, I feel engaging with you meaningfully is pointless (79 of the 249 replies in this thread are you being vitriolic and negative towards other people), but I will attempt to.

You are absolutely correct: new players (and the vast majority of WoW players) are not pushing or even engaging with higher end content. You are also correct that this means they do not need Weak Auras… until they do.

And that last part is the point I am trying to make. There is a point in this game where you have to turn to Weak Auras (or addons that deliver similar capabilities) to meaningfully progress. This is a barrier to new players going past a certain point in the game, and given so many Weak Auras would be unnecessary if more thought was put in to game design concepts like visualization of rotations, this is a problem worthy of discussion.

3 Likes

If we could figured it out in 2007, new players in 2024 can manage it.

You are definitely above average when it comes to accomplishments.
You also can clearly analyze the issues and present them in a concise manner, even if I partly disagree with you, and that’s what really makes you above average in my books.

Finally, Snozex is judging skill from clears.
I could buy a 7/9 (at least) mythic run for gold and get it in my profile, does that make me skilled?

The average player is also not clearing normal and getting to 3k io.

An objective measure of player skill in game doe not exist, but the closest would be how far one could go in BfA’s Horrific Visions solo, or how many waves of endless proving grounds can they last, if they are willing to try, using the same gear/talents/class/spec.

5 Likes

You guys like to pretend to e average player is brain dead, is not that hard to make a decent UI or to do your rotation. WoW is not really that hard of a game, doing your rotation decently is also the easiest part.

This has been my attitude for a while, but it is a distorted view. There are a significant number of players who either can’t figure it out, or simply don’t want to figure it out as they see it as an unnecessary barrier.

My adjusted view is that addons and Weak Auras should still be something to enhance the game, but that there should be more focus on getting the fundamentals right so that people can get 80% or even 90% of the way there without Weak Auras or Addons.

4 Likes