Build for shadowlands

hey everyone. so I built my computer over five years ago… and it’s really starting to drag playing wow and overwatch. basically these two games are the games I play most, so it’s the main focus of computer needs other than regular day to day stuff.

hubs helped me build this last one. and he’s trying to help me again, but you guys were a wealth of knowledge last time going in about what I want and how I want it to perform.

I don’t have a lot of funds. I have to literally buy this piece by piece as I get paid.

what we have so far is :

MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen 2ND and 3rd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 D-Sub DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450-A Pro Max) (B450APROMAX)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler - YD270XBGAFBOX

MUSETEX Phantom Black ATX Mid-Tower Desktop Computer Gaming Case USB 3.0 Ports Tempered Glass Windows with 120mm LED RGB Fans Pre-Installed ((907W6) 6FANS RGB)

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDRR6 192-bit HDMI/DP Ray Tracing Turing Architecture VR Ready Graphics Card (RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2400C16), Vengeance LPX Black, 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Power Supply 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold Certified with Addressable RGB Light - Vairous Color Mode, GAMEMAX RGB750-Rainbow

Samsung 860 QVO 1TB Solid State Drive (MZ-76Q1T0) V-NAND, SATA 6Gb/s, Quality and Value Optimized SSD

Sceptre E248W-19203R 24" Ultra Thin 75Hz 1080p LED Monitor 2X HDMI VGA Build-in Speakers, Metallic Black 2018 & AmazonBasics High-Speed 4K HDMI Cable, 6 Feet, 1-Pack

now we haven’t bought any of this yet, we are just mock building at the moment.

would this run shadowlands okay? better than okay? right now when I get into wow bfa, screens freeze up and I lag pretty hard. our fps on our internet is 200mbp (what he says from a speed test) so we don’t have slow net.

overwatch just freaking freezes completely and I end up in some random corner stuck there.

I want to play, but I don’t want to worry about game performance, but I also don’t have a lot of money to spend this time.

help? advice?

Whats your total budget and framerate goal?

Also what are you currently using

total budget is likely about 1500, and honestly that’s pushing it… framerate, I’m not sure… I don’t understand the frame rate stuff too much to be honest.

That’s okay. If you aren’t sensitive to framerate, then 60fps target is the general standard for most users.

Can you tell us what you are currently using?

The reason is that within the next few months, new CPUs from AMD and GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia are releasing, which may either offer better options or reduce prices on current hardware.

It’s possible we can give some solutions for upgrade on your current hardware that would tide you over until then.

If its too old, we can get you into a $1000-1200 build that would be competent for pretty much everything.

1 Like

okay this is what I can find on what’s on my computer now… not sure if that’s everything, but I just want to say I appreciate the help.

also… my ssd’s are acting up, so I definitely need new ones… one has me locked out and the other is nearly full

Intel Core I5 4690k

ASRock Z97 Extreme4 motherboard

16GB DDR3

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

Samsung SSD 850EVO 250GB
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500G SCSI

okay that was me, it wouldn’t let me post until someone else had. :confused:

That’s not a bad build you currently have. You really shouldn’t be lagging based on your hardware if your settings are around a 7. Your network may the reason for your lag or some software.

Are you buying parts in the USA? If so I would go with the Ryzen 3600 CPU and drop your PSU to a 550-650w.

3 Likes

I’d say your current system is relatively competent still for WoW - I don’t see anything glaring from your system that would explain really bad FPS.

I think troubleshooting might be a bit more reasonable at this point than a full system build, especially if you are trying to stay economical.

The 4690k is still competent in WoW. It’s only 4/4, but with an overclock it should be able to provide good performance. In newer games, it will lag behind, but games should still definitely be playable, and certainly with a GTX 970 and anything up until the lower mid-range of current GPUs.

Your motherboard is still a good match for an overclock on the 4690k.

16GB of memory, which is likely 1600/1866/2133 is more than adequate.

The GPU, while being a bit old, is still decent enough. You should be able to play WoW and probably shadowlands with it as long as you tune settings appropriately at 1080p.

I’d say try a good CMOS reset, isolate your SSD issue, and replace the SSD if that’s indeed the issue.

If that works, then you are only buying an SSD (which you can use again later) and then hopefully, get enough performance to hold you over until Shadowlands launches, and then reassess the hardware situation at that time.

I can help you or others can try to help with the troubleshooting if you want.

If you just want a new system now, or a recommendation for one right now, this is what I’d go with:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6zNm9G

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($158.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.00 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F14 PWM 77.3 CFM 140 mm Fan ($10.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F14 PWM 77.3 CFM 140 mm Fan ($10.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer XF240H 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($169.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1166.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-24 20:08 EDT-0400

1 Like

thank you both, I wouldn’t mind just upgrading my computer, but I’m still a novice at it, and I’m afraid of not getting the right parts that will fit and end up having to get a new system anyway because I got the wrong parts and wasted the money trying to just upgrade.

I know I need new ssd’s. not sure how many ports I have left… I can look at that though… and honestly I’m not sure what the rest of what you said really was.

yes I’m buying in the usa, wondering if I could just get away with an upgraded processor (i7?) and an upgraded video card? and if so… what?

he says there’s pins and slots and things we have to make sure to match soo… there’s the part that makes my eye twitch. lol

I think a fresh reinstall of windows could improve your performance enough where you don’t have to spend much money.

Also see if your system is functioning correctly first.

Could be as simple as a fan dying that a replacement can bring your system back to life.

1 Like

Start by downloading hwinfo64, running sensors only, and reporting back results while playing/experiencing slowdown

It will be many pages but you can export it to plain text.

Also, how full are your SSDs? They don’t like to be near capacity.

1 Like

Like Salranas stated, a fresh install of windows won’t hurt and you can always buy a bigger SSD if you need more room. You can check ebay for any i7-4770 or 4790 as long as they are not asking for a kings ransom. Either one of those CPUs would easily handle something like the Nvidia GTX1660

2 Likes

Not a bad idea - I’d troubleshoot it first to make sure the RAM or motherboard isn’t failing, so you don’t start digging yourself into a used parts hole.

If either the 4770 or 4790 are over $100, it becomes a less compelling option because as you close on to $200, new options become more worthwhile.

1 Like

one is nearly full, it’s the only one i have that I can access right now… so I know that’s not good. the other one is half full, but I can’t access it… it wants me to be administrator, and I am… but it won’t give me access.

Did you pull that inaccessible SSD from another PC as a main windows drive?

umm?..?? I bought it new for this computer? it was supposed to be my main drive for windows and the like while the games were supposed to go on the other… but now it’s all on one?

Do you have anything important on it

windows, all my pictures, files, everything is on it? and how do i export the info from that hwinfo64? I have it running, but I can’t figure out how to export it? there’s a bit of red numbers coming from the cpu portion.

Ok, I’m on the road but I will be back in a second to take a look. I forgot the menu for export.

That said, red is usually bad, LOL

1 Like

lol kk thank you again, he is looking at it and thinks something is wrong with the cpu or it’s fan. it’s too hot he says… (i dust it often lol)

1 Like