Buff Mages?

Maybe its just the types of fights popping up? There seem to be a lot of dot/cleave happy fights with tons of movement these days.

1 Like

WTB Cataclysm fire mage, or fire rework with more ā€œburningā€. Throwing fireballs is boring, I want the fires burning hotter, dots dots dots, increasing damage.

3 Likes

lol Cata fire mage was freaking insane. I remember on Halfus I did like 35% of my 25 man heroic raiding guildā€™s damage on our heroic kills because of the million whelps and all the dot spreading. That was so broken.

1 Like

Anybody have the dps spread % from first to last on Patchwork and hectic add cleave fights? At work so I cant really investigate it atm. And im not talking sims im talking real world fights.

I think itā€™s a mix of both, but in terms of real world, Demo lock is first at 29.1k and Ret is last at 19.5k.

Thatā€™s at ilvl 415

Seeing as no patchwork or HaC fights exists in game, no

Thereā€™s a boss in Tol Dagor would like a word with you!

againā€¦95th percentileā€¦ people literally set up parse runs for this. itā€™s not an accurate measurement by any standard.

Except they are part of the fight? why are you excluding a portion of the fight? lolā€¦ you realize the adds have mechanics and need to die right? and that damage does matter to them because they are ā€¦ oh i dunnoā€¦ part of the actual boss fight?

do youā€¦ do you exclude everything except for the pure ST damage on the boss?

so the adds on championsā€¦ the dps to them doesnā€™t matter?

the adds on grongā€¦ we can just let them live the entire fight right because dps to them doesn matter?

adds on jadefireā€¦ those donā€™t matter either rightā€¦ the tigers wont wipe you if you dont dps them.

or the two adds in oppulenceā€¦ we can just skip past those right.

oh and the raptors that fixate on conclaveā€¦ dps to those doesnt matter.

rastakan doesnā€™t matter either. these adds and their mechanics donā€™t need to be dpsed.

youā€™re just wrong man.

95fth percentile is a lolparse of players that are typically cheesing avoiding mechanics because they out gear things. thee parse typically have either done the fight so many times, or out gear it so much and itā€™s an outlier.

75% includes most high parsing players in normal situations. not parse fights.

Alsoā€¦ try this.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/21#class=Mage&spec=Arcane

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/21#class=Priest&spec=Shadow

notice how on every fight top shadow parses beat arcameā€™s top parses by anthwere from 8k to 25k dpsā€¦ thatā€™s a big disparity especially after the bfa stat squish.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/21#class=Mage&spec=Fire

fire even worseā€¦ and these are the best of the best playing as optimally as possible as you so put.

6 Likes

I would love for them to rework casting so it can be done while moving. Give every caster the boots from Legion darnit! >.<

Yes it does. Since utility is such a joke now, Mages offer little besides a food table and int buff. If their DPS is below hybrid, they will be benched while hybrid classes with utility greater than theirs will take their place. This is why pure DPS specs need to have an advantage in terms of DPS.

If a mages job can be done by a Shaman, Priest or Druid and be better, then there is no need for a Mage.

3 Likes

I will make a counter argument here, just for the sake if it.

All this utility that hybrid specs, as you put it, bring requires the use of globals and therefore less chances for dps to be put out. Why should a hybrid spec be punished for bringing utility that is slightly different than that of the mage? Mage utility is mostly passive and shaman utility, for exame, is mostly active.

1 Like

The difference between a DPS and hybrid Spec isnā€™t utility.

Yes, itā€™s rooted in some classes having both a DPS spec alongside a Tank/Healer Spec, but itā€™s more profound.

Only Hybrid specs can directly affect other players on the team. Druids can become temporary healers or tanks if needed, and even if just playing DPS, they can throw out heals and shields. Shadow priests are also able to help with heals and sheilds on other team members.

Thus, when both can do the same DPS, but the other can can help out the team more, while still having the additional utility we generally expect: CCs, Interrupts, etc., then it makes little sense to bring the pure DPS.

A mage will never be able to tank or heal for you, nor even assist in those domains. It is currently brough for three aspects:

-The Int buff
-The Slow from Frost
-When execution phase from Fire is vital

Only one of these even has to do with DPS, and reflects a nice environment.

3 Likes

Give all three specs deep freeze back, while weā€™re at it.

I miss my pyroblast shatter combos.

Yep. Mage is trash dps all specs atm. I gave up on mine until they get the 200% buff to all spells to bring them into line with all the other caster classes.

Spoken like a hybrid

1 Like

It has been said in another thread over on the mage forums (where this thread probably belongs) that the class suffers largely from raid encounter design. Not saying the mages couldnā€™t use some love, but that class design is not the only issue.

1 Like

Have you ever tried tanking out of tank spec? Because I have and you know what? I was promptly squished by the boss. And heals are utter garbage as well if you arent in heal spec. Can we do these things? Yes. Should we? Usually not outside of stupid niche situations.

For the record, i already agreed with your conclusion. Yes mages need a bump or two up or a complete redesign. Your reasoning behind ā€œpure dpsā€ needing a numericle advantage is nothing but a steaming pile of tauren poo. DPS should be better balanced, but no one dps should be better because simply because your utility isnt usefull in a particular part of the game.

If you want better utility then so be it, ask for it. If you want to be the best dps because your utility isnt useful in the content you play, then maybe you are playing the wrong character for the content. Mage int buff is huge. And your personal survivabilty is on another level from most classes along with your instant movement abilities which reduce downtime by quite a bit.

2 Likes

Yes we do twice as much dps as everyone else combined just by spamming one button but we should still do twice that! I was killed once pvping when 10 people ganged up on me ;(. Playing mage is suffering

I cried reading this. Buff mages and nerf warriors

+Cookie for noticing.

I know right, but itā€™s a fun concept, just needs tuning, was all about the dots. Most fun spec Iā€™ve ever played. The pleasure of putting up 3 dots, a strong combustion being one of them, and then using fire blast to spread them all, so satisfying.

1 Like

Mage does not need buffs for world questing, world pvp, and regular dungeons. I enjoy my mage and am doing quite well, but then my wow experience doesnā€™t revolve around raids and mythics.