Buff Mages?

One of the most iconic and historic WoW pure DPS classes needs help.

Buff Mages thx.

15 Likes

What is a “pure” dps? And yes they vould use some help, bu not the worst by any stretch of the imagination.

pure dps = all 3 specs are dps specs. WoW 101 my friend. Needs a lot more than a little help.

9 Likes

Dps is dps is dps. What is the point of calling it a “pure” dps?

2 Likes

As opposed to a Druid being a hybrid. So… Yeah.

9 Likes

Frost needs cleaned up a bit. Arcane needs a rework. And i dont know anything about fire so i cant really help there.

They did, in a way, by moving and removing portals. Now people will again need Mages to port them to places instead of taking the hour long winding flightpaths the developers feel make the world “feel bigger”.

4 Likes

This mage is really buff.

12 Likes

They actually are one of the worst. Sure there can be an argument for it but Mage is one of the worst right now. Arcane has been fighting for dead last all expansion in the raids so far. Although it is middle of the pack for Mythic for some reason, but then again it doesn’t have a lot of parses compared to Frost. But Fire has also been towards the bottom as well and frost has been middle of the pack to lower middle. While Hunter, Lock and Rogue have 2 specs higher than all 3 mage specs and they have 1 spec in upper and lock has 2 specs in the top 4 (shocker) at least in mythic BoD (heroic they still have both up there though).

For CoS heroic, arcane is dead last (dead last in normal too) and fire is 5 spots up from Arcane (3 up in Normal) and Frost upper middle of the pack. Lock, Druid Rogue all have at least 2 specs higher than 1 mage spec.

2 Likes

Pure dps = a class with only dps specs.
hybrid = a class that is a mix between tanking, dps and healing

Pure dps classes: Rogue, Mage, Warlock, Hunter
Hybrid classes: Everything else

Dunno how this is a hard concept to figure out.

11 Likes

Personally I have been ok in the runs that I’ve been in. As Frost, good CD usage and stacking on bosses is important and I excel at that. However on longer fights, such as 1:20 to 2 minute fights or 4:30 to 5 minute fights, I struggle with a lot of sluggish casts before personal CDs are up again. The huge burst to 30 or 40k on the pull helps but it pulls back quickly and I usually end up 400 or 500 DPS below my SIM at like 20.5k or whatever.

Problem is with similar gear, warlocks just sim higher, it’s math. So a warlock with a similar skill on a similar fight would just be better.

Tried playing arcane in a mythic plus. I felt absolutely worthless.

1 Like

It’s a relic of a long ago past people can’t let go of.

3 Likes

It’s literally just a term to categorize a class with only DPS specs. I’m not saying “buff mages because we are pure DPS”. Christ!

3 Likes

According to what, your butt?

Gee, maybe because it’s actually not that bad?

Fire dominated in Uldir, consistently top 5, and was easily one of the best specs for Ghuun, Mythrax, and Fetid (you know, the hard ones)

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/22#dataset=95&metric=bossdps Doesn’t look dead last to me.

Lock, druid, and rogue have dps specs above everyone except spriest and ele. That’s kind of the raid design.

Because it’s silly to think it has any ties to balancing or anything of the sort. It’s essentially old information that doesn’t need to be brought up.

Eh, classes that can’t switch to a support role face a minor adversity in the early gearing process due to slightly longer queue times. Honestly, it’s not really a thing anymore.

According to logs and stats

except mage kinda is bad. like pretty bad

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/21/#difficulty=4

Dunno why you filter it to make it look good but it actually is dead last.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/22

95th percentile is never representative of the populace. thats why 75th is default.

but it does, because pure dps specs really should have more chance at being top dps.

for instance priests right now are the best class overall in the game because shadwo is OP, holy is OP and disc is pretty damn good too… meanwhile mage is bottom of the barrel.

5 Likes

This is going to be great.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/21/#difficulty=4&dataset=95
Or better yet,
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/21/#difficulty=4&dataset=95&metric=bossdps

Mine are better than yours. And so are the players in mine.

Because the adds don’t matter and are largely pad? A prot warrior is r10 in the world for the second boss. Including add damage is pretty stupid.

95th is actual good players playing the spec optimally. 75% is pretty bad by comparison. If you want to talk about what a spec can actually do with current tuning, look at the spec being played properly. Not by average joes progging heroic.

…no?

None of the healers are op. Actually, all of them are in very good spots right now. There is no “op” healer.

Well, except for the specs that are actually bottom, yeah.

In fairness to Shadow, that spec was bad for like 9 years. Shadow can be good, but the Mage specs should be higher.

Also as a few people said, arcane needs a total rework. I would like to see a spec where it’s not balanced around mana management and back to how it was in WOTLK. Arcane was really fun to play then, and since they changed it, it’s a drag.

As far as ranking in 8.1.5, what I’m seeing is Frost at 16th, Fire at 20th and Arcane at 21st overall.

Top 5 are: Demo lock, Ele Shaman, Balance Druid, MM Hunter, Enhance Shaman.

Rogue looks to be really suffering too, top spec for them is outlaw at 14th right now. The other two are 18th and 23rd. Yikes. They are doing a terrible job at balancing through tiers this xpac.

3 Likes

I know Arcane needs some help. For one thing, Arcane Explosion and 4 stack Arcane Barrage for AOE simply does not cut it. Arcane is a strong single-target DPS, but it’s also a boring one. Spam Arcane Blast. That’s it.

Baking Mirror Image or Rune of Power into the baseline skillset, rather than choosing between them, would help a lot, since right now no one takes Mirror Image, but it’s a great survival skill. Bake both in and add talents to improve them. Maybe the effect of Rune of Power follows the caster, allowing them to cast while moving. Maybe have Mirror Images restore some of your MP proportional to damage they deal.

It would probably help a lot to add a ranged AOE to the rotation. Maybe get some inspiration from Kael’thas and make a Gravity Well or something. That or make Arcane Explosion targeted either on a specific location or an enemy.

But what we really need is a way of gaining Arcane Charges that isn’t just Arcane Blast/Arcane Explosion. One or two skills into an actual rotation would be a huge help there.