Buff Mages?

No. They don’t. Get your head out of the sand.“parse runs” are guilds that work to get their people r1s, like AFK R from Korea. You can get a 99% just by playing very well.

And it’s heroic. And the adds die stupidly quick. They’re being intentionally left alive to pad. And it skews the data.

In this case, yes. Depends on the boss. Many adds are not actually important to bosses dying.

No, rofl what? Of course not.

Stack, aoe stun, cleave them down, they die passively while cleaving both bosses+bombs.

They’re counted in boss damage, moron.

One burns down, the other is passively taken out by ranged. The damage to them doesn’t matter, the kicks do. Damage meter doesn’t show interrupts mate.

RoP, stack on boss, cleave them down. They should be half dead from dots by the time they even hit the RoP.

The adds on rasta don’t matter though? They die in the same general timeframe either way, especially since damage done to rasta in p1 transfers to them, and in p3 you actually don’t want them dead. If they get sent to the dead realm, you’re probably going to wipe.

1. Percentile. Is not. Cheesing. Jesus Christ. 95 percentile is literally just playing at a good level. You can consistently hit 99 without ever “cheesing”. Just by playing optimally.

What world are you from, Jesus.

No, it does not. What? 75% is pretty bad play. Mistakes, constant errors, unoptimized gear, everything. There are no good players at the 75%/

Shadow beats everyone from add pad. Again. Almost like, arcane is a st spec with very good boss damage, while shadow can pad with SA on all the adds for infinity because they do not matter.

A freaking immunity?

Show me one example of a “hybrid dps” being brought for their utility in recent raids.

Couple things.

First, I refer to the ability to assist with tanking or healing, and it gets converted into doing the tanking or healing as an off-spec.

Second, it’s usefulness in niche situations is kinda the whole the point, and is on par with a DPS having an execution phase to help it kill things.

Third, hybrid specs isn’t about utility and it isn’t about movement. It’s about you being able to click on the raid frames of your team members to provide an extra heal or protection. During tough moments in raids, hybrid classes are often assigned to help - at least in my experience. [quote=“Anchor-runetotem, post:38, topic:157505”]
If you want better utility then so be it, ask for it. If you want to be the best dps because your utility isnt useful in the content you play, then maybe you are playing the wrong character for the content.
[/quote]

Playing the wrong character for the content . . .

So you endorse making people re-roll to whatever is FOTM, bring the class, ignore the player?

You could also argue that Mages serve a particular DPS niche while hybrid specs serve a 50-50 system of half DPS + half support. For some classes and specs, perhaps DPS shouldn’t be the most important thing. Like maybe tanks shouldn’t be on par with DPS and instead have tools more related to mitigation. [quote=“Anchor-runetotem, post:38, topic:157505”]
Mage int buff is huge.
[/quote]

You are glorifying a button pressed once an hour that could be done by an AI or replaced with a potion.

We have no inherent heal, no pet to taunt things off us, and wear cloth. We can sheep, like others can banish and hibernate. We can freeze things in place, like druids can do with entangling roots. Blink isn’t very impressive considering everyone is given something to help with their movement.

Basically, Mages are worse in every department right now pretty much, and are being saved by the INT buff.

But I’ve actually seen people demand it be removed, so they can’t stop feeling they need to take a mage!

1 Like

Fire mages have needed help for almost 5 years.

It’s been like since forum complain about it. And reading the post they still do. And people say blizz doesn’t listen. You can see blizz really trying to keep mages dps down. Blizz prefer not to nerf dps. You’ll see they did more buff than nerf. And mages keep getting these mini buff. Like they are trying to keep mages just close enough to other classes.

Funny really. Mages are now buffing class. Raid just need the one to buff healer. While lorewise mages are ultimate nuker.

1 Like

A crap tank is a dead tank. No one has ever asked me to pop into bear for a sec and do anything. Why? Cause i will get smushed. Same for healing. Its a crap heal and takes away from dps considerably to do it.

If hybrids did 50% the dps of pures then there would be no reason to bring the hybrid unless the entire game was designed around needing a crap healer or tank somewhere in the fight or hybrids bring amazing utility, which they dont.

10% int across more or less half you raid is huge and a viable reason to bring the mage. Not to mention spell steal on conclave. Ice block for mechanic cheese. And cone of cold for blockade is freaking amazing. And blink means you can stay in the fight for one or two globals while the rest of the party has to move, half of which cant cast while doing it.

You have shield, blink, ice block, and invis which all make mages slippery as heck.

You are arguing that the mage now has the same utility as the hybrid specs which negates a large part of your argument. And once again blink is very impressive because it is more or less instant travel.

More or less mage dps is below average. Which i already agreed with. To call their utility worse than any other class is just plain wrong.

And to wrap it all up, if you are playing at a level where every last bit of dps matters then yes, i am telling you to switch to a dps spec that performs. If you are not, then there isnt much need. I play my druid as tank and boomkin. Tank isnt in the greatest shape right now but i enjoy it anyway and vontinue to play it. Am i pushing stupid hi keys with it? No way. I will take something more suitable for the job.

I do kind of struggle a bit as a mage right now, particularly on heroic CoS progression. I dunno if it’s what I’m doing wrong, or if it’s a genuine failing of the class, but my DPS does feel lower than most everyone else in the raid.

Nonetheless though I still enjoy the class for all its utility (chrono shift is fun as hell in PvP :D).

I’m not sure why you are acting like you are. It’s not really very controversial to see why folks think mage, overall, is not performing well. That doesn’t mean everyone who plays it is bad, it doesn’t mean it’s impossible to do well on the spec. This is nothing new or particularly difficult to understand.

Your attitude is terrible by the way. You’ve now resorted to name calling to go along with your general unpleasantness. When people say the wow community is toxic, they’re referring to players like you.

10 Likes

It’s a phrase people use to demand more damage because at the character select screen they chose not to play a class that has multiple roles, because they don’t want the responsibility. Basically, it’s a nonsensical way of asking for buffs.

I’m all for buff mages.
Most mages I see are so scrawny.

1 Like

When I use to play back between 2007 - 2011 I only played Fire Mage. Since I came back I have only played Arcane and she does a crap ton of damage. Problem is that it’s like a 2 - 3 button rotation if you call it that. Press button 1 till button 2 becomes free cast and apply shield when down. Rather boring.

If this was supposed to strike a chord, my feelings are devastated.

But it’s not doing that bad though? Middle of the pack isn’t something to complain about. Spriests aren’t going to go on forever like this, it’s an almost identical situation to Legion.

Every time a spec or class falls out of the meta everyone screams that it never receives love or does well, ignoring all the points in time where it has. Of the 24 dps specs in the game, mage is not in the position to play the victim.

And I acted “so mean” in response to someone who clearly does not understand what they are saying. And it irks me. You shall endure.

I’ll admit that part of the appeal to Arcane to me is its simplicity. I can focus more on the environment and the fight itself rather than what buttons I have to push in what order.

This is actually inaccurate. A pure DPS is a DPS spec within a class that doesn’t have a healer spec. For example, Warriors and DKs would be considered pures.

A hybrid DPS is a DPS spec within a class that does have a healer spec. For example, Paladins and Shamans would be considered hybrids.

I had so many top 5s dps ranking in the world as Cata fire. A little rng but fun as hell. Also took some skill.

I Just hit 60 with a mage, currently leveling for the KT Heritage Armor. Fire is my favorite so far because it consistently does a lot more damage than Arcane or Frost.
I am playing and keeping all three specs updated as I go. Will be interesting to see how things play out on the road to 120.

It’s dead last from 30th to 80th percentile, or 50th to 95th percentile if you look at the 403-405 ilvl range, which is reasonable for Heroic.

You’re being very nitpicky by focusing on specifically 95th percentile “all item levels”.

3 Likes

I’m nitpicky for including all good players? You realize how small the 403-405 range is right? Your data pool is tiny.

All item levels, meaning that it’s only looking at overall throughput. You won’t see some low ilvl people in the 95%.

Anything below 95 is pretty poor play, most of the time.

Only the 2nd example. Yes, it’s a tiny pool right now. First example still valid.

If you only consider 5% of active raiders (who log, which automatically makes the average higher since lower end raiders are less likely to log) to have relevant data, there’s no point in talking to you.

1 Like

If we’re talking about balance, in terms of how specs are tuned, then yes, you should look to a spec being played optimally.

A spec being played poorly does not denote the spec needing a buff or a nerf. It’s the player who is doing poorly.

If a spec is played optimally, and still has low output, then it needs a buff,

90th percentile is not poor, sorry. Neither is 80th. Or 75th. Most very high end parses are high end because the overall group killed the boss faster, thereby giving DPS less time to fall off from burst. I’m not sure balance should be done around sub 3 minute boss kills. Then there’s the cheese parses, but that’s probably a bigger percentage of 99th rather than 95th [but still a factor].

2 Likes