Bring Your Friends and Take Wing with the Dragonflight Expansion Trial

A free trial you say? is it unlimited? I hear there is another critically acclaimed MMO-RPG that also has a free trial, but unlimited :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s worded in a way that isn’t clear. The only toon that someone with a sub wouldn’t have access to are those who played one or more of the DF trials, created an evoker, and didn’t buy the xpac. I’m guessing those are the players they are referring to. They didn’t word things very well.

2 Likes

I love my friends and won’t lie to them.

2 Likes

Why would any of my friends want to glide on dragons when they much rather fly in style on regular flying mounts.

8 Likes

One suggestion to keep people interested blizz:

STOP MAKING FULL NAME CHANGES ON ITEMS.

here’s an example:

Concertrated Primal Focus(and other variant) - we all got used to this, so we are familiar with it. But instead you decided to go and change it up entirely, adding new names and tons of new crests and renaming gear type.

All you had to do was name the new stuff “Concertrated Primal Crest” and we would have been fine or “Primal Crest”. Instead you added a new system that is so convoluted it requires multiple posts to remotely start to understand.

4 Likes

No clueless company.
They quit because you made all these stupid changes…

Oh lets create a race with wings and then say they cant fly due to 'dumb blizzard reasons" …
Dragons dont glide btw… sigh

7 Likes

I remember when movies would come out - it would be 6 months to a year after they left theaters before they were released on home video. Now you wait one or 2 months, and you can watch it on your couch while it is still earning money at the movies.

Point is, the market has changed, and so has the playerbase. Unless you are constantly advertising your game - even if your game is WoW - people forget about you.

WoW is no longer the international success that it once was where everyone who owns a computer knows what it is and really wants it. Now it’s more like Yahoo! and Yahoo mail - still there, but really only used by people who for whatever reason still haven’t switched to an alternative homepage/email.

I would expect this to happen with every major patch/season from this point forward - Much like they do with other games who have seasonal releases like Call of Duty. It doesn’t smell of desperation when CoD does it, why do you think it smells of desperation when WoW does it?

1 Like

Yeah the playerbase changing is the point. Two awful expansions broke them and DF is floundering in popularity despite being, from what I hear, a pretty decent expansion.

But to be fair I don’t disagree that the market has changed and from a developer’s persepctive the product is limitless so any sale they can get is free income and doing sales/promos does make sense…if you need to drum up that business.

Because WoW has never had to do it before. You don’t offer up constant promos and sales if your business is booming and they have come hard out of the gate since DF launched. I also don’t pay attention to COD but they are two different games with different monetization models so it’s not an entirely relevant comparison.

And to be clear ocassional sales or promos is fine, especially to drum up business on old items. Free revenue for a limitless item that is currently not selling, but they have been slashing the price of the actual expansion so soon after the fact that it shows the struggle the expansion has had to bring in profit.

3 Likes

CoD is one of the HIGHEST grossing video game franchises of all time - and they offer free weeks and sales every season. CoD is the definition of a booming business. Just because something hasn’t been done before, doesn’t mean that doing so now is bad business or a sign of desperation.

It is when the parent company of CoD also owns Blizzard, and is likely sharing the same marketing team. Why change a marketing strategy if it is working? Why not apply that strategy to your other games?

I am sorry, where are you getting this information from? Just because sales are lower than SL (as of December) doesn’t mean DF is operating at a loss or is struggling to bring in a profit.

Sure, but the PR of BFA and SL reception on top of all the other actual culture issues inside of Blizzard certainly helps my argument.

I’m not basing my beliefs on any one piece of information but everything I have heard and seen for years in the Blizzard/WoW news cycles.

It never ceases to amaze me how many mental gymnastics people want to hop through to rationalize their argument.

“Uh excuse me sir but just because they have less sales doesn’t mean they made less profit”

Like come on. I love that you’re trying to throw in the caveat of December as well like maybe it’s changed and maybe it’s better now.

Same place as all your counter arguments for how successful and profitable they are because they are copying COD. If you don’t want to debate don’t come to the forums.

A) I didn’t say, or imply. it was operating at a loss, that’s almost entirely impossible. They have profit margins they aim for and if they are aiming for 20% but only hitting 10% then it’d be entirely fair to argue DF is struggling to bring in a profit.

B) failure to being in sales from a previous expansion and a massive MAU drop across the board makes me assume their profits are down. You’re right I don’t have concrete proof, but you also have no way to prove DF is successful. We are both conjecturing here and my observation is simply that based on their actions they are making a bigger effort to bring in revenue.

You could be right that this model is used going forward and used indefinitely, but for now it’s a fresh and noticeable change in direction, at leaat to me, that reeks of desperation.

4 Likes

I never said they were profitable? I said a new marketing strategy is not a sign of desperation.

No - If they are aiming for a 20% profit margin and are making 0.1% - that is struggling to bring in a profit.

What you have is opposite of proof. The MAU from Dec 2021 was 371 million for Blizzard, it was 395 million for Dec 2022.

I mean you are wrong. Confidently wrong - but still wrong.

I was farming wod dungeons. Holy moly.

Free trials are not a new marketing strategy. In any case, the target demographic needs to buy a sub or gametime before they can participate, so I think they’re trying to exclude people who bailed on the last free trial.

1 Like

Did I say they were? I said that the seasonal offering of free trials and sales on the game was a new marketing strategy. Do keep up.

LOL, however you want to re-interpret it to make yourself feel like it’s not a matter of desperation to promote a “free trial” that isn’t actually free and next to nobody will qualify for. You are sounding delusional.

1 Like

I feel like when a lot of you get so bitter with a video game you really need to go spend your free time with something else.

2 Likes

Kui and Plater did updates and the it’s been working again so check for updates.

You sound bitter. Did you experience the last free trial? I’m guessing not.

They aren’t wrong. I’m critical of Blizz as much as the next person, but the absolute irony in this thread of people bashing on Blizzard while paying a subscription to Blizzard is next level demented. (can’t wait for the “I bought a six month sub” people to respond)

4 Likes

No need for addon, this fixed it for me and my friends.
Just copy/paste into chat window, then reload ui.

/run SetCVar(“nameplatePlayerMaxDistance”, 60)

It’s hilarious how powerful the sunk cost fallacy is and watching it effect so many that still have active subscriptions.

2 Likes