Bring back PvP Templates for casual BGs

Title, If see another BG with 30% of my team having less than half my HP combined I’m gonna scream. The PvE team obviously thinks us literally doubling our power every tier is the best course of action, and casual BGs can’t continue to operate at their current state.

33 Likes

This much is true. But templates were badly balanced. Some specs got exactly what they needed and were gods for the entire expansion. Some specs got none of what they needed and were trash.

No doubt most of the highly geared players who enjoy being able to get free stuff from faceroll randoms against typical random players will fight tooth and nail to keep their guaranteed advantage.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if this is for people who want templates, or the current system, but this was true in both systems. But last expansion I never was able to actually solo 3 people at the same time.

Every BG there are so many people that can’t even touch me, this isn’t fun for either side. I hate getting healers that aren’t going to out heal the warriors or DKs, I feel bad for people who just get stomped to the ground in seconds.

Templates solved both these problems. They operate fine in casual BGs where everyone deserves a fighting chance.

8 Likes

For non-rated pvp, sure. Go nuts with templates.

6 Likes

Or, hear me out on this, they should just stop making endgame player power make a fresh 120 look like a level 30

18 Likes

Not templates, but everyone’s active gear scaled to a certain level. This would keep everyone on roughly the same level of power but would give players room to adjust their secondary stats to better suit their spec or their preferred style of play.

I would suggest making brawls an every week event and use them to implement this revised version of templates. This would serve multiple purposes.

First, new or returning players and freshly leveled alts would have a place to PVP where they feel competitive instead of useless and a burden to their team mates.

Second, you would likely see a high number of players without Essences and Corruptions, giving you months worth of data on where classes actually stand once we lose our rental powers. This would be valuable information that would help to make informed decisions on class design as work on Shadowlands continues.

And finally, it could help to shed some light on which version of PVP the majority of players prefer and which one proves to be healthier for the game as a whole. In the end, it might just be better to keep them both.

4 Likes

You do realize this is why we have scaling

With that said Templates ruined PvP and Scaling does too. Remove Scaling for BFA and just have gear be gear.

3 Likes

Put templates where the sun doesn’t shine.

Templates were horribly implemented and did more bad than good.

2 Likes

What’s different from now and then?

Plenty of busted specs this xpac.

It’s not a matter of templates, it’s because they suck at balance.

8 Likes

Templates had no flexibility. You got what Blizzard thought you needed and that was it. Zero opportunity to tweak or fine tune your spec.

Imagine going to a shoe store and all they have are size 8 shoes. That’s what templates were like. It’s not even a “one size fits all”.

1 Like

Templates were a good idea implemented wrong. Giving the ability to stack a stat would have made a huge difference.

7 Likes

I think some specs had PvP talents that let them increase their Haste, but yeah, secondary stats customization was an area Blizzard could have improved on.

In the later seasons of Legion, most specs were competitive in PvP. Even if you didn’t like your spec’s stat allocation, your spec was viable and you could push rating with it, unlike BFA where warlocks (and non-warlocks) reroll to destro.

6 Likes

But with behind the scenes damage scaling we don’t even know what each stat does in pvp.

I can literally 1v3 most of the time because unless you’re 460+ you aren’t dealing more damage than I’m healing. That was never possible in Legion by any class no matter the gear. You can’t compare “Yeah PvP kinda sucks because my class got crit instead of mastery.” to “Yeah I got one shot by the hunter when he aimed shot the person next to me.”

This isn’t a balance issue, this is a scaling issue. Heck, a customizable template system where you can choose which 3 stats you want more of would be fine. The HP/Damage gap needs to be fixed.

Remember I’m only asking for Random BG and Epic BG queues, RBG and Arenas can stay how the current system is.

5 Likes

I’m in the ‘let gear be gear’ camp. Reduce the power difference, holy smokes!

6 Likes

We know there is a template of sorts in the game though.

For example cdew hit a 80k health player for 175k and the didn’t die.

What if everyone had a set amount of health in pvp and gear changed the template for modifiers such as damage and damage reduction.

Because we know our health bars are fake and nobody actually knows how the “scaling” system works.

What if it’s all smoke and mirrors.

1 Like

Builds and class/spec/trait/stat knowledge is important.
A correctly built ilvl 435? character can be more effective than a sloppy ilvl 460, from my experience.
It would be interesting to build a perfect ilvl 425-435 character to document this, scaling is a thing.
The means of obtaining our gear in BFA (PVE) may not be the most desired by PVP centric players but it sure is accessible.
BFA Mythic 0 might very well be similar to Heroics in Wrath, difficulty wise…

1 Like

This would be fine, but Blizzard has the last 3 expansions allowed classes to scale exponentially. People in not current tier of gear are not viable teammates. Adding a minimum ilvl is not the answer, which means we need to bring everyone to a bare minimum power for unrated PvP to be viable. I can’t decide my teammates, and gear is a huge limiting factor on your potential. Gear can be Gear for rated PvP because you have full control of your team at that point.

2 Likes

I wonder if they actually kept templates this whole time.

The stats we see are pve based (health/damage we do)

But there is a hidden set of health and damage not in the combat log.

We suddenly got lag with larger scale pvp with this new system, what if it’s lagging because it’s doing twice as much work.

Then things like 2nd stats add to the template by a %.

Keep in mind that pvp balances are seperate and done as % like they did in legion.

3 Likes

This system I do not see changing.
New Season in BFA is like an Expansion of upgrades.
Players are expected to keep up.
Characters who have completed and continue the various 8.3 chore quests seem to be pretty viable, entry Level Template?