Bring back 5mans

I don’t run dungeons at all anymore because of the mythic+ mentality to get through it as fast as possible. Dungeons have lost all joy for me…and I was a dungeon fiend right up until WoD. Since then, it’s only been when it’s part of a required quest line and not for fun. It’s really sad to me that one of my absolute favorite aspects of the game has changed so dramatically that I just don’t find any enjoyment in running them anymore.

88 Likes

5 man challenging content exists in the game

if you aren’t doing that, why would anyone believe you would run this mythical other version of 5 man content? you aren’t doing what’s available right now and it’s very similar.

if you want those hard dungeons back, get a key and try to make the timer and you’ll find out real fast how tough they are.

12 Likes

But that’s exactly the point of the OP’s comments…the timers are not fun for them. Beating a clock is not fun for them. And the difficulty of going fast is far less enjoyable than the difficulty of having to strategize a dungeon. I completely agree with the OP.

120 Likes

That’d be an interesting thought. Take everything that worked in the past. Improve upon it and trim away the painful bits.

4 Likes

you can’t have challenging 5 man content without a timer

the dungeons the OP mentions are examples of this

and you can just ignore the timer; people playing well will meet it regarddless

if you don’t think strategy is used in mythic + you’re just wrong and there’s no way around that. that’s complete inexperience with the content speaking.

14 Likes

I strongly agree, but I don’t want another dungeon difficulty that would further bloat ilvls and mess with that kind of stuff. I do think regular mythic dungeons are too easy but bumping up their difficulty would also have a kind of impact on M+.

Definitely feels like BC heroics were a lot more challenging than mythics are, but the problem in the current state of the game is how easily many gear-levels are available and as a result meaningless. I do miss doing stuff like the old heroics and feeling rewarded for doing them, I hate M+ because of the timers and the D3 style affixes which I honestly feel are out of place in WoW.

24 Likes

I don’t think you can do m+ at lvl 20

2 Likes

if they got rid of the timer based loot, yes!

4 Likes

Then you arent mythic enough

1 Like

You just invalidated everything else you say.

You missed the point entirely.

58 Likes

You absolutely can…it’s how they were until WoD. The timer doesn’t bring the difficulty I like. The dungeon mechanics bring the difficulty I prefer. Sadly, people even running a normal or heroics act like there’s a timer and play like they’ve got far better things to do than run a dungeon. Dungeons used to be hard. Look at the blowback from the Cata dungeons on release for proof of that. People cried for them to be nerfed. No timers needed.

38 Likes

nah it’s accurate

people without experience in the content will disagree but

lack of experience and all

we have this thing called bloodlust and CC in WoW, and without a timer we would just see those used for every pull

like the old heroics, where CC rendered every pull toothless.

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s the point I was making. You clearly didn’t play when heroics were challenging.

42 Likes

well they never were before timers were involved

is the point im making.

2 Likes

Original Scholo will always be one of my favorite dungeons. I remember spending hours in there until I basically out leveled it. I didn’t like the remake of it as it lost it’s epic experience.

22 Likes

Except they were. You are free to fabricate your own reality if you like, but it doesn’t change the truth.

They made them relevant by making them challenging and having them drop something like Badges of Justice that you could use at vendors to fill in pieces you needed.

Now the challenge isn’t the content, it’s just finding the key level that’s too much of a gear check for you. That isn’t a challenge, it’s another form of gating. You either have the healing and damage to do it or you don’t.

52 Likes

Idk, they are technically 5 mans but it’s not fun for some people. I think what the OP means is that the sense of adventure and RPG elements in 5 man’s got replaced by a timer.

46 Likes

That’s an invalid point. As I mentioned…look at the Cata dungeons. Grim Batol was a nightmare until it got nerfed. The End Time dungeons were brutal too.

Before that though, the old school dungeons were often hour+ long adventures in pain. Instead of making them challenging these days, they just threw more trash mobs in and added a timer. I’m not inspired by a timer. I’m more interested in discovering the right way to move through a room without wiping.

46 Likes

I wish they could relax the timer. Especially in BFA it feels like one mistake and it’s over.

Maybe they could add an extra five or so minutes on to each timer and if you completed it in that bonus time it wouldn’t downgrade or upgrade but just change to a new dungeon.

The problem is that the really good groups plan their strategy before the dungeon even starts, which requires a lot of knowledge of the dungeon and classes. For other groups who are planning as they go, there just isn’t enough time to try anything different to make it work for your group.

However, if we look to the future the new megadungeon teased for patch 8.2, the mechagnome dungeon, might be up your alley Allolria. It’s supposed to be like Karazhan was when reintroduced originally in Legion, before they split it for Mythic+.

2 Likes

Sadly, even if the timers were removed the “gogogo” mentality will still exist quite heavily. The sense of working through a dungeon as a group is lost unless you have a group of people that commits to not spoiling the game for themselves with all the video guides.

15 Likes