Brian Birmingham leaves Blizzard. Rip Classic

I mean BB is not only a self admitted feminist but hes also in political activist mindframes. Hes a very likely candidate for the adjustment.

6 Likes

Ive managed for a long time in this kind of environment and i can tell you it really sucks. Sure some people deserve to be graded low. At one point I was managing a small team of excellent performers who all hit their deadlines. All of them had families, mortgages, other bills etc etc. I had to give excellent performers 3% and some of their peers 10%. I quit managing shortly after.

Its absolutely not worth it. I hated the conversations. I hated letting people down. I hated having to apologize to wonderful employees who tried their hearts out because of corporate garbage.

W Brian. Well done. Thank you for everything youve done at Blizzard. You will be tremendous wherever you go. <3

4 Likes

I’m sure the community of players running around HFP spitting on people who boosted had nothing to do with it and was entirely a woke conspiracy. removal of spit was done to yourselves by yourselves for being toxic in a video game.

1 Like

If you think these changes came from ANYwhere other than the top + PR team + legal team, you’re delusional.

4 Likes

That’s disingenuous. The outrage was warranted. Many played Classic for 2 years expecting a proper classic TBC, but instead we got The Boosting Crusade. All these people crying for RDF and saying Wrath has been ruined don’t even understand that Blizzards greed ruined the integrity of Classic a year before they even logged in.

2 Likes

Bro… that came from WAYYYYYYY up the ladder.

It was 100% save bobby’s job. Everyone was on full pause and become woke ASAP.

He had no choice. You need to get a career and away from your min wage job to understand how the real world works dude.

1 Like

Not to mention the incredibly greedy Cloning service that destroyed any possibility for Classic Era’s long-term health.

2 Likes

Yea, what was it, 10-15 per character? like why? (rhetorical, we know why)

That still pisses me off after telling us we could keep our Classic and still play TBC with friends than shoehorning in a charge last minute.

1 Like

Someone buying a boost doesn’t mean they deserve to be camped with /spit while playing and treated poorly. I wouldn’t call my statement disingenuous at all really. Players chose to be toxic to other players and spam an insulting emote for no reason other than to be toxic to others and it was taken away due to that.

/spit has been nothing but a tool used to be a dick or insult another player since I started playing in TBC

1 Like

A) they could have just included /spit in the profanity filter and people who didn’t like it could just turn it off. Plus the amount of hate for boosted characters was vastly over blown in the first place, most people didn’t care at all.

B) it was included with a number of other changes that were obviously just to give the image of “see we’re nice now”

5 Likes

The /spit stands apart to me as it was in relation to more in game interactions and players punishing other players for essentially a minor difference in opinion. However, you wont see me defending the pictures of fruit though.

Thats not the purpose of the profanity filter, the filter isn’t an excuse to use language not allowed in the ToS.

I wish this was the overall on my server when boosts came out and outland opened. most of the groups i saw were flat out banning boosted characters from ramps runs(regardless of gear, since HFP got you out of most of the communal early), and as much as I wish I was lying there were actually groups of players just walking around spitting on any character with even on piece of communal showing. It may have been overblown on some realms but in general it was still happening enough that it was a problem for many.

The charge was for sure a problem. I agree 100%.

I think originally it was like $35, then after massive outrage it went to like… $15? Then towards the end it was $5.

I think it was a cool concept. Nice to ship your classic toon to Era. But the charge to do that… hell no.

2 Likes

/spit and talking trash was fun. The day sensitive people stop playing multiplayer video games is when they become fun again.

8 Likes

Adding boosts and store mounts to Classic is def way more than a minor issue it goes against the entire principal that’s why we were ganking and /spitting. I wonder if the boosts/mounts offset the massive amount of Vanilla players who unsubbed and went to Turtle WoW over The Boostint Crusade debacle

Oh no, someone emoted me in a video game!! Need to get some therapy.

Grow up. Who cares? Blizz catering to snowflakes sends a bad message.

10 Likes

Probably the same as those who left due to player actions like being spit on for essentially no reasons other than ambiguous nostalgia and other players being on a high horse.

oh hey reductionist logic.
Nobody should need therapy from someone spitting on them in a game. However there was never in anyway a legitimate reason or need to brigade against other players playing differently or boosting.

Though I will say good job at ignoring the legit cases of online abuse resulting in therapy being needed because people on the internet with anonymity refuse to conduct themselves in even a semi mature manner. When given the freedom of being online, why do you default to aggressive and rude instead of being an adult and interacting politely within reason?

6 Likes

honestly the bigger issue was that people had weakauras. So they werent even doing it just auto going off. Of course new players had absolutely no idea but they are getting spammed with dozens of spits.

They should have disabled the weakaura… instead they did the cheap option which was fully remove it.

2 Likes

Yep.

I have had issues with his dev calls. thats pixel crap, in the end like all pixels for any game it means nothing. Gaming nihilism lol.

Respect given for taking care of his real people though. lots given even.

1 Like

Interesting tweet from Brian. Basically confirmed that leadership forced WotLK and Classic to be released early

I guess this is why TBC Classic had such a short shelf life and WotLK felt rushed.

4 Likes