Botting getting very sophisticated

So theres a group of 4 mages 1 priest that I was watching. It was interesting because his toons wouldn’t move together. 1 by 1 after they would call back to undercity they would go to the repair vendor, then fly to eastern, then run not together along the same path to zone into strat. An hour later, same thing, over and over. Sent tells to each one and reported, no reply of course.

4 Likes

A level 43 watching the pathing of toons in EPL is very sus.

Whether they’re bot or player, they are under no obligation to reply to you. Sounds very entitled as well. Believe me I’ve been on the receiving end of people sending me whispers to test if I’m a bot or not. Shrug

3 Likes

This is not my main toon, I thought that would be obvious by what I said. The characters all take the same path, from flypoint, to the zone in, and run about 15 seconds or so behind each other, so its not multiboxing. Whether they are a bot they have no obligation to reply to me, seriously?

3 Likes

I don’t even have to reply to you.

6 Likes

Is there something wrong with players checking to see that you are a real player?

8 Likes

And what exactly makes you think they were bots? Everything they did is completely normal. If anything, it sounds like they could be controlled by one player, which isn’t proof of botting btw.

Botting has become a witch hunt and it has muddied the water, making it harder for actual bots to get punished.

5 Likes

It’s annoying getting random whispers from random people who don’t want anything to do with me.

If it’s someone spamming “ hey we’re about to start a BRD” then that’s acceptable in my books. But someone who is probing me is obnoxious.

Again, whether or not I reply proves nothing. A bot can be setup to reply too, or the person behind the bot could type in a reply on a keyboard.

5 Likes

Do you even read the posts or just reply with the same rhetoric everytime? They were doing things not possible for a multiboxer, or a non bot character to do. Running in the same path, 15 seconds or so behind each other, from the horde flypoint to strat.

1 Like

Yeah that could be annoying, but would you rather have occasional whispers that take a moment to respond too or many many annoying bots out in the world.

4 Likes

A whisper does nothing for the bot situation. It’s literally nothing.

I used to get them all the stinkin time when I would do laps for lotus. I’ve been reported so many times too, I didn’t get banned, but I also didn’t bot.

1 Like

The problem is that no reply to a whisper isn’t evidence they’re not a real player. I rarely reply to whispers from strangers

4 Likes

And this is proof of botting? Walking on a path?

You’re welcomed to report, but make sure you have serious cause to believe someone is botting before doing so. Otherwise, Blizzard has to sift through thousands of reports before they get to the real botters.

2 Likes

True, but its one mechanism a player can use to potentially detect a bot and report the bot. If you are not a bot then really you don’t have a lot to worry about.

4 Likes

It’s really not.

1 Like

I was going to type out a long post explaining EPL and regular players have to avoid mobs and such but I doubt you have been to the zone and you will just say something about how it only looks like that on my screen or something. I don’t think sending tells is an indication of botting but I did ask my guild to see if they would reply and the bot did not for about 20+ tells on all his botting characters. The only way to report someone when they are not in front of you is to send them a tell too, so that is another reason to do it.

Well honestly. It won’t make a difference anyway. Reporting does near nothing as is. Bots will be bots. Delete a bot, another will take its place.

2 Likes

To be quite honest, I don’t think I would respond to someone that has sent me 20 tells either. Like I said, if you feel you have just cause to assume somone is a bot, feel free to report them. But be aware that Blizzard has to look into and investigate EVERY single report. So just a “hunch” is probably inadequate.

2 Likes

Agreed there, but the fact that they would risk 5 accounts of 60 characters means

1. They have no fear whatsoever of getting banned
  2. It is extremely fast for them to bot toons to 60

Both should be looked at.

Hahaha. Harassment at its finest.

Yeah, you’re likely dealing with bots, but if you’re not… that’s just harassing someone. Again, sending whispers to someone does nothing to prove one way or the other. If it did, I would have been banned 8+ months ago during my lotus spree.

1 Like

Like I said, it is the only way to report someone if they aren’t in front of you. You think it is harassment to report people you are sure are botting?