Bots will reign forever and we can't blame Blizzard

You must be the type of person that thinks you deserve to get paid more than the value you bring to the table…

Blizzard used to pay people to do that… ActivisionBlizz… not so much. You are paying them to do work that they are supposed to provide to you as a part of the Terms of Service. When you give Burger King your money do you go prep your meal or do you expect Bergtau to do it for you since that is his job?

2 Likes

There are some sure fire way to kill bots, but people would cry about it. Because let’s face it, a good portion of the people who play this game are doing it because they want to feel powerful and to do that, it includes having an economic advantage. Whether from buying gold or simply botting.

Please, in great detail, define the value a minimum wage worker brings to the table. Hint: businesses need these workers more than society needs those businesses.

1 Like

I don’t care who you choose to blame. I only care about what the problem is, and how it can be solved.

The only solutions are:

1. The population of the game shrinks until there are no longer sufficient cheaters to support the bots, or
  2. Blizzard steps in and works to stop the bots and the cheaters.

Until one of those two things happen, the cheating will continue.

All it would take is 1 GM to hop between the 15 AVs currently open and they would prob find over 50 bots to ban. Stop making excuses for Blizzard, they profit from every single bot that exists.

2 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/herbalism-bots-plaguing-bfa/6981/28

Or demand is spiking, you need to remember that it’s a two sided equation, and with raiding dropping off, and the game becoming largely dead, gold is being locked up. Someone who is suffering FOMO over not having enough gold going into BC, would find themselves unable to reliably get gold via the AH, and grinding gold is very slow.

Thomas Sowell Milton Freedman read them.

Would you give a minimum DPS Hunter the first DFT? No you would not.
That’s a good analogy you might be able to grasp.

blizzard should deputize players like private servers do. let em have referral powers or temp ban powers.

They could have militias on every server volunteering to shut down bots.

There’s plenty of responsible people who would do the job for free if blizzard put in the work to set it up.

They’re called brownshirts.

1 Like

how many bots have been banned this week?

we’re up to 7621 bots

how many bots have been banned this week?

we got 37 more, that makes 7658

thousands every week

They cleaned up Germany didnt they?

Friedman was a hack who is pretty widely critiqued by modern economists without a political motive.

Theres no scenario where you give un-vetted, unpaid players control over your customer base. It’s just not going to happen because there’s so much room for abuse.

As the adage goes… you get what you pay for…

the thing is, blizzard actually isnt banning any. these bots stay in brd, scholomance, and dire maul north all day, farming the instance, most likely being run by script. youtube some classic wow botting videos on youtube for your own research and you will see how they do it. they have addons that like, display on the screen the distance the pickpocketable targets are, and you can watch the dude initialize and run his pickpocket bot in brd.

it could very easily be programmed into blizzard’s game to auto ban any player who stays in the same instance for 48 hours straight without going afk. knowing that that kind of gameplay is physically impossible by humans. but no, blizzard wont even do that. blizzard profits from the bots and posts that they dont.

If you watch its rare that any of them stay on that long actually. I imagine because of the 30/day timer they’re forced to swap between accounts/servers.

And we’ve been through this but I don’t think Blizzard really profits from bots to the point that they’re actively enabling them or even deliberately looking the other way. I just think they’re so prolific and advanced that Blizzard is just outgunned. Yea arguably they could increase monitoring but to do it effectively would be a pretty big undertaking

they dont even have to measure their profits or losses from it, because thats not what they are doing. the only observable fact of the matter is that there are tons of mushmouth named rogues with no guild in brd farming gold all day. brd pickpocketing isnt even good gold per hour. if you are perfectly efficient you can make like 20 gold per hour maybe. the reason they choose brd is because they can sneak to the bar vendor to sell and never have to leave the instance, allowing them to bot in an entirely closed loop system that cannot be disturbed and can take full advantage of the botting program

It’s a pretty big leap from “illegal things happen” to “the system profit’s from illegal things.”

They’d still need to reset

I honestly haven’t gone down the bot rabbit hole before even just for my own personal edification. I did just check a couple forums to learn about that Brd bot, and the most common thread is from people discussing how they got banned and how to try to avoid getting banned in the future. I don’t think you can argue Blizzard doesn’t ban, even aggressively, but from reading the back and forth on just these forums these guys are putting a lot of time and thought into beating their system. And its a big industry which means big $$$

And it’s interesting to see “abandon ship” messages like this. Clearly we’re not aware of what Blizzard is doing to fight bots behind the scene , but the “botting community” definitely seems to be.

@everyone Transfer your characters. A banwave is coming. Today a new detection was added in Warden targeting (botname.) I’m still monitoring stuff but from the looks of it, (botname) is being detected. I have disabled (botname) usage and subscriptions. In 10min I will shutdown all WoWs.

would that be like a poor millionaire? sorry, i understand casuals have bald necks

i’m sure after thousands of bots get banned they have a data set to formulate adjustments - blizz makes adjustments - rinse and repeat

Nope.

You can pickpocket the same mobs over and over. Just takes a while for them to get money back in their pockets.