Bots bots and more bots

SO MANY BOTS. just did Alterac valley and Isle of Conquest. OVER 20 ALLIANCE ROGUE bots and same problem on HORDE side. Sitting there trying to report everyone thats using a bot takes way too much time. IS blizzard going to some how be able to BLOCK the BOT it self ???

Blizzard deals with bots on the daily. THere isn’t a magic bullet in this regard - if there was, there won’t be any issues of such nowadays. All you can do is report and let the hacks team handle it.

8 Likes

Report them for being AFK in battlegrounds. Blizzard has been waging a nonstop battle against bots.

They do not instantly ban them, They tend to watch them for a while and learn how they work and how to detect them and break the bot they are using. Then they hit them with a ban wave.

So do your part and report them!

4 Likes

Report AFK in battlegrounds. (It’s quicker than report - cheating - botting.)

If you encounter them out in the world. Report - cheating - botting. That captures all the information necessary. You don’t have to report every single one (it’s often impractical as they stack on each other). The information captured by the report includes everything happening in the area so multiple bots can be caught with a single report.

This DOES work. I’ve gotten a bunch of messages saying action was taken based on my reports. Botters often post (falsely) that nothing is done about bots, to try to discourage people from reporting. Because reporting works, and the bot developers know it works too.

6 Likes

No, because if Blizzard could then the rest of the MMO/Gaming industry could. And if they can, so can the bot makers just circumvent it.

They’re not just standard programs FYI, they’re developed intentionally to bypass security and detection measures.

5 Likes

Fyi every time they find a way to break the bots the makers find a way to fix it. So it might be blocked for a very short time and then it is not.

The gold sellers is a billion dollar industry, So they have top notch programmers working for them.

5 Likes

Blizzard probably did. Multiple times. The bot-maker doesn’t just give up. They update their bot and start again.

5 Likes

There always seems to be this idea that we simply allow botting to happen and that if we cared, we could block them entirely. As much as I’d like that to be the reality, it just doesn’t work like that.

We deal with bots and other exploitation all the time, it is a constant battle where we suspend or close thousands of accounts weekly. I think a Community post made in May covers a lot of this subject.

The short answer is, no, there is no simple way to block bots. There are various different ones out there, which our teams work to investigate and to break, block or automatically detect. It is a constant struggle though, as we improve so do they, as we discover ways to detect them, they figure out what we found and close that loop.

We understand it is frustrating to deal with. There are ebbs and flows when it comes to botting activity. Hopefully we’ll you’ll be more of an ebb.

14 Likes