Bot Farming

Do something at hangmans point to reduce the number of 24/7 bots AOE farming , hard to get quest loot when everything is insta-tagged by 10-15 bots , removing all non quest loot maybe would deter them

1 Like

Please be sure to report those you suspect of botting by using the right click report option. That sends relevant data to our teams to have the matter looked into.

I can’t say what actions may be taken overall, reduction of loot is sometimes an option but our Devs will make that decision.

7 Likes

Crazy situation! Hopefully one day they will be able to get rid of them all. I had mentioned the day of the last mass ban (classic) that there was a skinning bot back up that same day running the same path. The problem is the people that buy gold for real life $$.

Just keep reporting, hopefully one day they will all disappear quicker than they do now.

Its not likely gona go away forever take down 5 bot programs another dozen pop up its a non stop battle as long as people want a easy way theres people that will ablige.

They don’t even break them from what I have read. They find a way to detect it and punish the people then the bot program patches and they get away with it (on another acct) for 6 months. Most of the time the accounts that are being punished are former players so the botters don’t care if the acct is banned. It’s really sad because the botters are right back to the popular spots the same day, so the ban wave really doesn’t solve much. I have been playing on and off since release and they have been doing this kind of ban wave for as long as I can remember. And from what I remember the bots were back out the same or the next day. There is no getting away from them. Report then ignore, or beat them out for mats at the nodes you are at.

What you’ve read is wrong.

6 Likes

Well if breaking means “do not use until we patch”, then yes, it’s broke. Same programs are back online the same day. Sad but true. Check out one of the developers web page (most popular one, will not name here), and visit their forums. Crazy how fast they are back up.

They’re a criminal organization - just like with people who make Malware, their job is bypassing the last round of broken code so they can continue to make their billions (yes, billions). Folks think this is Kiddo in the Basement and that it’s “simple” to just ban them. It’s about as simple to get rid of them as it is for Anti-Malware companies to stop all Malware.

Reporting is the best method, since Blizz can then get background information that helps them patch code to break the bots. It isn’t a ‘winning’ battle, just one of attrition. In the meantime, yes, the bots do damage to the economy and are a source of player frustration, which is why we (as players) need to stop using these products. Especially since these criminals tend to steal your financial info in the process of buying their services.

7 Likes

I no longer have the source for this, but I do recall that the global take makes Blizzard’s earnings look like peanuts.

2 Likes

The amount of false information about our systems floating out there is staggering. :slight_smile:

Our team does what it can to break the ability for specific botting programs to function, when it is possible. Keep in mind, a lot of them work within our systems in order to do what they do so sometimes to break them it would also require us to disable normal game functionality that would prevent normal users from playing. As much as we wish to remove bots, we feel preventing basic features of the game from functioning is not really a viable option.

It depends on the situation. If we cannot develop a specific break or block then the focus is on detection and dealing with those that are found to be botting. One of the reasons that our Hacks team takes action in waves is because it has the most impact. It is harder for the folks that make the programs to figure out what got them caught because the detection usually took place are various times often several days or weeks prior.

I remember that. I think it was an article on a botting company/companies, but I don’t recall who wrote the article.

5 Likes

Breaking means not working. And yes, that is exactly what happens, at least in some cases. Breaking doesn’t mean permanent though. And no, usually the same program is not back online, but rather a similar one. Or alternatively you’re not seeing a bot at all. Simply put, you don’t have any clue from your position outside the systems. And developers for these things lie their faces off, so I wouldn’t trust a single word on their forums.

Incidentally, stating that Blizzard is ineffective at dealing with them is the kind of propaganda that hackers like to spread, and it certainly helps when people unwittingly spread it for them.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to address the botting concerns, I think frustration stems from the perception in game actions are so blatant and obvious people have a hard time grasping how it can continue.

I will continue to R.click report and hopefully the hack/cheat teams can identify and prevent the exploits. I was following a pack of 5 paladins in drustvar last night that pathed 90% only changing when node proximity chained close enough then immediately recovered back to the point of deviation, every movement was scripted , and elevation changes happened at exact waypoints in the route. did not glide into nodes , flew to node, 1sec pause then vertical down /vertical up.

Could there possibly be a discussion about boxing? The misinformation over the past year or so has seemingly increased in the forums.

I see scores of posters who are willing to report boxers as bots, just because they don’t like the playstyle.

Or is there possibly some way that we, as players, could better determine the difference between a group of bots and a boxing team?

Education is the best method, but seeing how some posters are, that is not possible as they are more likely trolls and want to spread misinformation. Honestly, a lot of it is just plain trolling.

6 Likes

I think a lot of people feel personally harmed by multiboxers - perhaps they had a negative interaction, or just feel outcompeted.

The point of contention is always that a multiboxer is a single individual who is significantly more powerful than they are, in a manner that exists outside the concept of a single character representation of power. As WoW’s gameplay design, outside of shared events, resolves around the concept of the single hero, perhaps for some individuals the two ideas remain firmly on two separate rails. After all, popular North American presumption is that, with hard work, the individual is on equal footing with all other individuals.

At any rate, it’s very difficult to argue with someone who arguing from a point of pain.

1 Like