Boosting is P2W, simple

If you are paying additional money to bypass standardized game mechanics.

It’s paying to win period.

1 Like

Why did you chop off my post? I did not make that blanket statement. I said that swiping your card for the gold to buy the carry provides nothing to the community.

It creates a market that is more rewarding to swipe your card for the gold than to farm mats, farm mogs, etc to provide the gold to buy the carry. There was a positive to the community to earn it rather than providing money to the devs and nothing to the community other than playing hot potato with gold.

What are you bypassing?

A group is still killing the raid.

But that’s inherently wrong.

Regardless of how you do it, it provides gold to the guild doing the carry

I feel like the people who get so mad about this are severely overestimating the number of people doing it. Buying boosts, sure. Heaps of people do. But spending copious amounts of real money to buy tokens, to get gold in order to do it? I just cannot imagine that’s all that common.

I’m curious if they actually have any data to back up the idea though. Because it would be interesting.

Because they fostered that?

I see.

Blizzard created the problem of people buying and selling gold on their classic servers?

You still fail to read. Look:

That is providing to the community. Playing hot potato with gold provides nothing. There is no positive being introduced to the community. You’re just a wheelman for gold with the card swipe.

He doesn’t like the “idea” of boosting’s affect on the game and economy. So nice try trying to frame boosting as some kind of personal choice that doesn’t have any effect on anyone else in game. :clown_face: :earth_americas:

Can’t wait until selling of any kind of “service” in game is fully banned.

Yes. They have fostered this playstyle. They benefited from this playstyle by selling their tokens. You can’t un-ring the bell.

You can whine about this being P2W all you like, but at least the people providing the boosts have to put in the effort to get themselves to the point where they can actually do them in the first place…

How is it a scam if they’re doing exactly what’s advertised… :thinking:

Honestly, the only thing I find particularly “pathetic” about this is just how much people fixate on it. I mean, I get it that advertisement spam is annoying, but the personal affront and ridiculous judgements about people’s moral character is so stupid.

2 Likes

I mean, all MMOs can have boosting can’t they? Like, what’s to stop you from logging into FF and paying someone to boost you via 3rd party discord comms?

Does that mean all MMOs are P2W?

1 Like

I know it’s just another zero post Alt trying to stir up a thread that already exists so to summarize:

Some of us believe P2W means getting any advantage through in game systems (WoW token) and some of us believe that P2W means the game producer is giving some unachievable power only through the game store for $$$$. Regardless of what side you are on we can all agree (or at least I would think) that boosting can be harmful to the integrity of a game.

Even if players can’t use the gear it still isn’t necessarily good that they can bypass the hoops of an MMO just because they throw money at it.

Again which youtuber did everyone watch. Just out of nowhere now everyone “cares” about the token and buying carries. Seriously it’s been in the game for many many years, barely anyone cared, now it’s soo important to people for some reason.

I think people need too more then likely stop just parroting wow youtubers who haven’t touched the game in years.

1 Like

How is afking a raid or M+ and getting an achievement/gear handed to you, winning?

I draw the line at simply being able to purchase a prestigious reward as P2W. If I swipe my card and get Gladiator, I paid to skip all the effort it takes to actually become a Gladiator. Same with purchase AOTC or CE achievements. These are typically endgame goals.

I think WoW has some P2W elements, but it’s largely not a P2W game. If I buy a boost on Classic to power-level my alt from 30-50 in Mara, did I pay to win? I clearly didn’t win anything prestigious doing this, so I wouldn’t call it P2W; but it sure as hell was convenient.

I only see boosting in WoW as P2W if you’re purchasing Hero in M+, Gladiator or Hero in Rated PVP, and HOF in raiding. Every other boosting service is convenience, including AOTC, CE, KSM, and carries to certain rating brackets.

(Why is CE in here?): Most people want the mount, and it’s easy to get when it’s a 100% drop rate, unless I’m okay waiting for 3-5 years before being able to reliably farm it. As such, I don’t consider buying a boost for a very rare mount as P2W, same for Gladiator mounts. It’s no different than buying it off the BMAH, it’s convenience at worst.

Simple question:

Was boosting as prevalent when players had to either farm for, or did the bannable offense of buying, gold third party?

I think we know the answer. So, is “boosting” bad? Meh, it depends on how big it is and how it is done. Removing the community interaction from the advancement of player power along with decreasing the incentive of spending time in game to earn the gold is not good. An economy that focuses primarily on money changing hands without providing growth is a ticking time bomb.

A big metric they focus on is MAU’s and potentially time played. Farming takes time, and it provides a service and growth. Swiping a card does none of it. It’s “hot potato” with gold. Now the people trying to earn gold through the AH have to rely on sniping and flipping. The mog market was squashed by the account wide appearances convenience. There are many micro details but in the end, they incentivized this.

1 Like

I remember soo many people coming to the forums and defend the easiness of MT only to learn that they used another person to get their achievement. It’s amazing! lol

I would have said no until classic and TBC classic came out and experienced the amount of boosting first hand there along with good buying GDKP.

I don’t like the WoW token, but it being removed isn’t going to shrink boosting. And may just tick off all the people who are using the token to play for free (which is fine by me, just they may get upset).

A lot of other things happened though to turn boosting into the massive industry it is now:

1. Everything is cross realm, so finding people to carry/be carried is massively easier.

2. Raids are loot lockouts rather than raid IDs, which makes carrying easier because the same person can carry and do the raid for themselves.

3. Mythic+. A spammable, no lockout 5 man that takes 30-40 min and provides very strong gear is ripe for boosting due to its ease for the booster and desire from the player base.

4. Discord. The amount of mass coordination established though discord is incredible. Entire servers in classic were able to organize world buff drops 3 times a day for almost 2 years. This is what let the industry bloom. It turned it into a business with a middle man. Someone to find and link the buyer and the seller. A business with enough good capitol to allow payment on one server and pay on another.

The number of things people blame the state of the game on other than the developers who make it is astounding.

1 Like

Honest question: do people that pay for boost continue to do the activities that they paid to get boosted? Like, if you can’t get AotC on your own, and you care enough to pay someone to get it for you, will you continue heroic raiding afterwards?

Rewards are such a big motivational factor for activities in this game that I’m not sure what it’s like for players that pay money to get the rewards quicker.