Boost not worth it

Then boosts couldn’t possibly be compared to the nails in the coffin because, as I said: they came long after subs started falling in early Cataclysm

to maintain the analogy, that would imply that WoW were buried alive, left to suffocate, then excavated, then placed in a coffin and buried again

Uh-huh.

So how long do you think it will be before Blizzard starts selling gold / “WoW tokens” in classic?

Im not going to disagree that retail was in an irreparable state before boosts were released, and Ill also add that retail boosts arent quite the same as classic boosts because no one wants to go through 6 expacs of dead content.
Adding boosts and store mounts to classic is like adding raid finder and massive class overhauls in cata.

I don’t think they will, because again, I think there is obvious functional difference between allowing players that like TBC to start 1 character at level 58 and implementing sub tokens.

1 Like

to be fair, the boost in retail as it is currently isn’t even worth it, because it saves maybe 4 days of work real time going at a casual pace, and you’re free to level in any expansion you want so there’s no having to skip any expansion you don’t like when you can simply…not level in that expansion

but that’s a discussion for another topic, lol

You really can just condense the entire argument down to this. Discussions about pay to win, bots, retail, gaming culture, mage boosts etc are all just fluff. The fundamental disagreement is whether BC includes 1-58 or not. Certainly from a historical perspective it did, BC added around 4M new players to WoW all of which had to start at level 1 and during the lifetime of BC new content was added to 1-58 (Dustwallow Marsh completely revamped, new quests added to other 1-58 zones, etc)

Blizzard however has decided that BC Classic will be different from actual BC in this regard. In their own words

There’s really no point dancing around other topics related to the boost. This is what people are disagreeing on, and Blizzard has stated their stance.

Considering the class I love playing (Rogue btw, since early 2005) got completely redesigned in Legion, had entire specs deleted and replaced, 50% of its buttons pruned including buttons I’ve had on my bars since dinging level 6 in 2005, all to make it more appealing to what Celestalon called “a wider audience”…

…yes, I fully and completely despise the retail WoW developers and the retail WoW players that they obsessively cater to. With complete and full sincerity, from the bottom of my sneaky Rogue heart, I despise retail filth.

Retail scum already ruined retail and turned my RPG character that I’ve played for 16 years into something completely unrecognizable that fills my heart with sadness and pain.

I loathe and despise retail class design / ability pruning. I loathe and despise retail systems design. I loathe and despise the developers of retail WoW. And I loathe and despise retail WoW players, who are the target audience for all of this dumbing down, pruning, and RMT.

Stay out of classic. Go find another game to ruin.

That isn’t what Blizzard is doing. The boost allows them to skip old content and jump into “current” (i.e. TBC) content. Retail has done this for multiple expansions. They still have to level in Outlands, get attuned, ect. Unless Blizzard is selling warglaives and other end game gear on the cash shop, this isn’t going to affect anyone playing TBC content. So fewer people are leveling up in Azeroth? Boo hoo, go to Classic servers if you want to see that.

I don’t care. I will never despise a person or call them filth over disagreements about a video game. I am going to play TBC classic, I’m going to boost a character as Blizzard has intended that I should be able. I don’t need to go anywhere.

2 Likes

Nah. If it upsets you then you go find a new game to play

Don’t worry Mindtrick, you can always stay in Classic if character boosts bother you that much.

Paid character boosts were introduced at the end of Mists of Pandaria, at the same time as when Warlords of Draenor was in development, which coincides exactly with the beginning of “ability pruning” and the modern paradigm of retail WoW class design.

You may recall that before Blizzard pivoted to the excuse of ClassFantasyTM for deleting entire pages from spellbooks, the original (very poorly received, ergo the pivot) reason they cited for ability pruning was “to make the game easier to learn for a brand new player, who might be confused by having multiple pages of spells in their spellbook, and particularly so by utility and niche use spells that aren’t a part of the core damage rotation”.

All of this planning and design discussion happened at the exact same time that Blizzard was working out the intro experience and how to gradually introduce skills and teach gameplay for boosted characters.

You are the reason games die

1 Like

I’d rather stay at level 60 forever than ever play retail again.

At least in classic my Rogue can Gouge when I press “4” (same keybind I’ve had since 2005) and can still make poisons and disarm traps and do other basic, iconic, and essential Rogue things.

2 Likes

Ok Demon Hunter

Go play your 4 button Legion class in retail where you belong

Another dumb answer. Like I don’t play classic too?

He’s so mad that other people have different opinions than him lol

Obvious lies. No self respecting classic player would ever wear that hideous clown suit late-retail-era transmog.

You’re posting from your retail character to hide the fact that your classic character was leveled via credit card.

1 Like

Yes, and recruit a friend existed as early as Wrath if I remember correctly. Not to mention heirlooms that gave a large experience boost and DKs that started at level 55. Both the game and players change. At least now we have 3 versions to chose from.

Fair enough. At least this option exists for you now.

With all the gold buying and GDKP runs in Classic, the credit card is king as well.

1 Like