BM Hunter's New Legendary

With SL about to drop and “Soulforge Embers” being are supposed goto legendary item which it’s bonus is “Launching a Flare into your Tar Trap causes up to 5 enemies inside of the Tar Trap to burn for (240% of Attack power) Fire damage over 12 sec.” That’s cool and I can understand the DPS burst if the crowd doesn’t get moved at all. But I was just wondering even though they’re both global CD’s if their was any way to pair up Tar Trap and Flare into one macro or something so they can be shot into the same spot??

1 Like

Youd have to make some kind of cast sequence macro like:

/castsequence reset=30 Tar Trap, Flare

4 Likes

This one works fine for me.

#showtooltip Tar Trap
/castsequence [@cursor]Tar Trap, Flare

Basically, place your cursor where you want the trap to land, press the button to cast the trap, then after 1 GCD, press it again to cast Flare at the same spot(at your cursor)

2 Likes

Optimal usage actually has you using Flare twice per trap, since Flare only has a 20s CD, and Tar Trap has a 25s CD (with our level 56 Improved Traps passive). Also saves a CD on that second cast, assuming the target is still inside the Tar Trap radius.

But the trap won’t affect the target if they’re immune to movement empairing effects, which would also make the Soulforge Ember trigger a wasted effect on bosses.

Making this combination solely useful on trash and not on bosses.

Personally I feel like I’d rather have an ability that’s not limited in such a scope, so I’m going for the Rylakstalker’s Piercing Fangs.

The target doesn’t need to be snared by Tar Trap in order to be hit by the DoT from Soulforge. It works perfectly fine on boss targets, so long as they are physically inside the tar pool when you flare it.

Do you really think some of the finest minds at work on hunters would be recommending a legendary that doesn’t even function on boss targets? Honestly…

5 Likes

Not sure which of the greatest minds you’re referring to, given that pets are dying very easily now and require a 4 s rez, an issue which has still not been addressed.

1 Like

Hes referring to the theory crafters recommending the legendary in guides not the developers making the class decisions.

2 Likes

Oh righto, misread

Hmm, this legendary seems cool on paper but annoying to actually use. What are peoples thoughts, is everyone going for this one? I read in another thread that this and the second best legendary really aren’t that far apart, especially since the second best seems easier to use.

I think I’ll need to bind them first so the tank doesn’t just move the mobs out. Blah!

I’ve been practicing the combo even before SL was released. It is indeed quite a bit annoying, but as always in the end you get the hang of it.

So, it’s definitely annoying to play. In theory, it’s top DPS, but that’s assuming you can play it perfectly. There’s a lot that can go wrong with that “perfectly”, though.

Rylakstalker’s really isn’t that far behind it for BM, and it essentially just a free passive damage increase. My guild is already recommending that the portion of our hunter roster (yes, it’s rather…large this expansion, I think we have 7 atm) going BM, simply because the trap leggo is frankly pretty janky.

Fortunately, for MM, it’s much simpler. SST for everything, with a light side of Surging Shots if you’re going Kyrian (though Surging Shots is from a world boss, the first of which is expected December 8, so it may not be until almost New Years that the right one pops up for that).

Yeah right from the get go I thought this legendary sounded annoying. Like cool on paper, but just sounded tedious to use. All the WoW youtubers I saw over the alpha/beta though kept going on and on about how interesting and outside the box this legendary seemed… yet I bet none of them actually play Hunters. I’ll probably go for the Rylakstalkers legendary then, we’ll see.

2 Likes

I absolutely 100% LOATHE this legendary.

I’m maining MM so I’ll be forging Serpentstalker’s first, then Unblinking Vigil or Surging Shots depending on whether the Unblinking Vigil munching issues are fixed at that point. Probably I’ll do Call of the Wild as my third Legendary (so I can use it for BM or MM), and Rylakstalker’s will be my first (and probably only) BM-specific one. Qa’pla seems fun to play with, but currently undertuned.

I’m honestly contemplating grabbing Craven fairly early (after SST, but before other “might want em” leggos). I feel like it’s going to have some uses.

Craven is one of those ones that will be nice to have in certain situations (PvP, extreme soloing) but outside of that niche it’s just kinda there.

In Legion, I got the Shadow Hunter’s Voodoo Mask as my second legendary, and I found ways to make use of it, but I would never have picked it over a DPS legendary.

I’ve said since the beginning, it’ll not be worth it in most cases, but those cases where it will be worth it, it’ll be broken. Gotta keep in mind, dead DPS does 0 DPS.

1 Like

Would that be those same minds that so thoroughly trashed the idea of using Flare alone in a DPS rotation that the talent never made it out of Legion Alpha? Are these same people now on board with using Flare plus a trap? Or would it be that since this applies to BM and not MM it’s fine?

• Light 'Em Up
  • Level 75 [Marksmanship hunter talent]
  • Passive
  • Targets affected by your Flare take 10% extra damage from all of your attacks.

It applies to all specs, and Light 'Em Up had other issues, namely that it was yet another damage ramp on a spec already burdened with damage ramps. Not to mention the fact that using a utility ability for damage means you can no longer use it for utility.

And Soulforge Embers affects BM, MM, and SV equally. I personally won’t take it because I think it’s garbage design, even if it is far and away the best AoE legendary, and I have been extremely vocal about that throughout my alpha and beta feedback.

1 Like