Blood Knight Lore

It’s all that’s left of it. The rest of the lore was retconned.

Do you have a source on the pre-retconned stuff?

3 Likes

I mean if you want to be the anti-paladin trope just be a DK.

All the cool kids are DKs. We have the best parties. We even have Blood of the really edgy types

1 Like

In general, blood elves became really boring when they lost all the morally questionable things that made them so interesting. It’s not just the blood knights, but them in general. We used to be terrible people who did terrible things and were the best kind of monsters. The ones which look nice and pretty but do absolutely horrific things.

Now we’re just boring. Would much rather go back to BC blood elves siphoning mana and other things from people and draining them dry because we were terrible people doing terrible things.

3 Likes

How am I supposed to have a source for stuff that’s retconned, when it’s pulled from game and Wowpedia?

I’ve already been over this. Believe it or don’t, I honestly don’t care, as it has no bearing on current lore. I was simply sharing old retcons. :woman_shrugging:

Some of them were terrible, but some where just people doing what they thought they needed to survive. I liked the nuance in that. Unfortunately, Blizzard tends to hate nuance.

Did they entirely delete the old lore from the internet when they retconned it?

2 Likes

I don’t think they meant that they were getting rid of the Blood Knight name. They were just not gonna torture Naaru anymore. Which I’m against. Those chandeliers obviously deserve it.

5 Likes

Agreed. The wind chimes deserve everything they get.

I’ve never heard it said the Blood Knight name was not being used anymore or any implication the organization didn’t exist just that w the Sunwells restoration their outlook and vibe changed.

6 Likes

I’ve played through everything Belf I can find and never saw or read anything about it. And if it was in some book somewhere that is obviously no longer canon, then it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

There were probably a whole three references to it: one was the information I already quoted, which came from a conversation with Liadrin (without her title and wearing the new tabard); the other was the removal of Liadrin’s title as Blood Knight Matriarch (which has been since reinstated everywhere) and the third was the changes to the Blood Knight questline, because it no longer fit the lore (and some parts didn’t make sense, since M’uru wasn’t even there). Once it was removed completely, you couldn’t even get the tabard anymore, until it was added back in later by popular demand.

I think that Blizz has set things up in a way where you can choose how you want to play things out. You have the option of going back to more a traditional Helf pally, or you can stay true to the Blood Knight aesthetic.

I like my belf pally to have some sense of anger and retribution for what happened to her people. That kind of anger and trauma doesn’t just go away, and she feels a strong desire to always remain vigilant and pro-active in eliminating threats so that her people doesn’t suffer like how they did during the Third War.

That said, I just wish we had class skin glyph options. I would like my spells to have a more reddish hue to represent that anger.

2 Likes

I remember it being removed for Alliance. But not everyone else.

1 Like

Back when all of the mount questlines were removed, the acquisition of the tabard was removed with it. Originally, there was no plan to bring it back, since it was old lore, but people were cheesed, so they did bring it back. Then, everyone was able to use it, both sides, due to a bug they never fixed. Then they fixed said bug and I was a sad Draenei Pally. LOL

I was a blood knight when they first came out in BC. I loved everything about their lore. I love how they were an aggressive, antagonistic Paladin counterpart to the alliance. Just draining the power of the naaru to suit their own purpose. I kind of wish they still stayed that way. But the lore adapts and moves on.

Then again, I usually like bad guys and anti heroes more than actual good guys. I always root for Darth Vader, Thanos, Michael Myers, Sauron, Voldemort , etc.

3 Likes

It’s probably because it’s just the Belves Paladin Order. It’s not any link to syphoning Naaru. But with them hinting at the light not being so great, we might want to change that. :laughing:

2 Likes

What is all this jibberish about blood knights dropping their name?

I remember there was some dialogue in legion mentioning blood knights, sunwalkers and the silver hand combining forces as a singilar paladin force, and they mentioned blood knights by the order name.

3 Likes

From what I understand it seems to have been an assumption based on Liadrin and the Blood Knight Matriarch title but the assumption would have since been proven wrong given everything

1 Like

I think the point is that neither are inherently good nor evil. They just are. The Light is very black and white, there are no grey areas, the path is the only path. The Void is very grey areas, assuming any and all paths.

Liadrin’s title was removed back in Wrath and there was dialogue that they were moving forward in a new direction. Legion emphasized her title and the order itself once again. I think they reinstated her title earlier than that, though. But the entire point of changing the Blood Knight questlines (prior to removal) was to be indicative of the changes after the Sunwell, along with her renouncing Kael and the Blood Knight tabard.

It wasn’t an assumption, nothing was proven wrong. Liadrin has her title everywhere now. Let’s not act pedantic over something old and retconned that isn’t even important now. I simply wanted to share something from ages old.

You weren’t proven right either.

You gave one passage that doesn’t state they change their name or disband. So if anything it was an assumption at the time, that later ended up being wrong.

3 Likes