Blood elves used to be cooler

with the destruction of the sunwell, blood elves were like vampires for the arcane mana, without it they would deterioate into ugly monstruosities and die.
One of their countermeasures was to utilize demonic crystals filled with fel energy, the very same energy that was despised and looked down upon by the rest of the races, they would siphon it and use for their own purposes.
the same was done with the light, draining light directly from other sources like the naaru, calling out the power of the light not by sentimentalism of happiness, joy, or that telletubie nonsense… if the blood elves used the elements power like shamans, you would bet they would be dark shamans and just force that power to their bidding as well.
As a race blood elves were elitist and arrogant, and would look down upon other races like the ones of the horde… primitive bestial beings and walking corpses, next to one that is beautifull and follow a legacy of a higher power that estabilished one of the biggest empires azeroth has ever seen before.
so basically, arrogant vampires jerks with thirst for power! thats cool!

they are nothing of the sort anymore, and thats boring!
blood elves in a sense were very similar to how the venthyr of the denathrius side portrayed themselves as we faced them.

23 Likes

One of the top five lore mistakes of WoW was rushing lore in TBC. Rushed to resolve Blood Elf lore, rushed to kill off Illidan, etc.

Consider that peak Blood Elf fiction only lasted about a year before Blood Elves became “good bois” it’s kind of wild.

21 Likes

Guess they had to change for the sake of story progression and maintaining good relations with their allies. Do they still have the gnome sweat shop in the basement of that tailoring shop?

they never updated silvermoon, so probably not.

2 Likes

I mean, you can only drag something out so long before that becomes tedious and nonsensical. (I.e. orc story rehashing the atrocities done under the influence of demon blood, only this time without the demon blood. NEs being punching bags and sad folk. Etc.)

They solved the Sunwell back then because they weren’t sure they were gonna get a chance for another xpac. They thought the game was gonna tank.

Even Suramar, a cool narrative parallel, was solved same expac. If the payoff is good, it’s fine to tie it off.

2 Likes

Silly enough, isn’t the tragedy common with the Highborne? Such as Dire Maul and Suramar. :robot::thought_balloon:

1 Like

The word you’re looking for is “evil”.

Yes, the Blood Elves used to be more evil. They were pissed off about an army of the dead marching through their city and started doing bad things.

3 Likes

we can all blame sylvanas for it

Yeah, we replaced all that with a 12 step program. Now we are all recovering arcane addicts.

3 Likes

are the blood elves recovering?

aren’t you guys still happily slurping up swimming pool water?

Is it wrong to say blood elves now a days are effectively Horde Humans? I mean, they worship the light again, their most prominent characters are a warrior and a paladin, the blood knights are basically the red silver hand now . . . I’m sure there’s more but I’m kinda just waking up so it’s not coming to me at the moment but I feel like they’ve become far less unique lately . . .

6 Likes

I mean, that’s kinda what they’ve always been, they were added to the horde to be a more palatable option for people who might not like the more monstrous races. They’re humans with a few small cosmetic differences.

Just like how humans are the easy alliance choice for people newer to fantasy.

Once you get past Falcon Square which is the second place you go in the Blood Elf starter zone, arcane addiction is never mentioned again.

12 step programs are started at the Falconwing Inn.

1 Like

Blood Elves were never cool to begin with.

If you aren’t a BE, you’re already cast away.

Yes, evil. Evil in a “I do this for my people with no regard for anyone else that is hurt” way, instead of the silly forsaken “I do this because I am an edgy boi”.

Wish we had more writing like TBC era BE. Dark but in a logical way, not just mustache twirling.

3 Likes

I just don’t understand why there were still belves left in EK, when all of them moved in WC3 to outland together with Illidan.
Entire TBc seemed like undoing all the damage that was caused to them and returning to status quo.

This is why I am interested what :turtle: will do with the Eversong wastes - seems like a proper depiction of the carnage that scourge supposedly did.

Because they wanted to give BE a capital and a starter zone.

The MMO aspects of WoW caused problems for the game in its earlier days.

They could’ve have that in Outland. In one of the pilgrim settlements.

1 Like

Might have been jarring to start in Outland only to go back to Azeroth to level and then go back to Outland.

That said, doing that would have made Outland feel more evergreen. It would also have removed the need to invent Azuremyst Isle.

There’s pros and cons for each approach.

1 Like

They defanged us. Although they were no longer elitist and arrogant post Arthas. I feel that was a humbling. But I do think the desperation for survival thing gave them something interesting that was wiped from them too soon.

I think Blizz thinks that everyone has to be flawless to be in a faction. I don’t know why. Neither side has really been that. And for all we know, the mana wyrms and the chandeliers could have deserved it. :rofl:

Lol, while this sounds funny, not really it. :rofl:

Always more Elves I guess. Plus they wanted us to start out at our home city. So they created this schism among Blood Elves, not everyone agreed with what Kael was doing because they were then gonna have Kael go insane, join the Legion and poison the well again (that is the thing that bothers me). But of course a lot of Belves wouldn’t go along with that because they were fighting for survival and he was gonna ruin that survival chance and was supposed to be the one on a pilgrimage to find a solution. For player characters they just have Illidan pass the teaching of siphoning for survival along.

1 Like