Blood Elf Shadowpriests aren't canon

Yeah I always tend to ignore him when he says that.
Seems like some self-imposed head-canon, that’s being attempted to thrown onto upon others.

Best case scenario of a priest using light without any general connection to the light’s personality, or degree of faith was Archbishop Benedictus, who used shear willpower – Although the lore states that it was incredibly difficult for him to do so. So it stands to reason that the same would apply to others on the same measures.

1 Like

Taunka are Dark Shaman without being “Dark Shamans.” And they are a part of the Horde, and teaching their method of shamanism is a perfect way to bring them back up.
(I still remember the days when we thought we’d get Taunka as a new race or option for Tauren.)

What I’d love for them to do with priest lore reflected into the game:

• As per this thread, give recognition to the schism of shadow / void to the Blood Elves for Shadowpriests.
  • Stop treating priests as Paladin fodder / the lesser version of Paladins. For once I’d love a Paladin that chooses to ‘upgrade’ to becoming a priest and become more badass by doing such.
  • See some Nightborne go back to the worship of Elune.
  • Night Elves having glowing lunar tattoos and state they are imbued like tattoos by their order of priestesses and priests.
  • Give a light-visual to shadow-spec and apply a questchain similar to the calibre of the green fel-fire of the warlocks. Perhaps throw in an angels reference from Diablo somewhere for fan-service. Give the light-void form some Diablo-style angel wings whilst active :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Zandalari priests have an option to make their shadow-fiend a shadowy version of the animal associated with the loa of their choosing.
1 Like

Vereesa and Alleria are the human sidekicks. Blood elves are independent just like Anasterian wanted it.

Why do you think the Alliance Devs and players decided Anasterian had to die? He took Quel’Thalas out of the Alliance. That was a sin. We were going to have him in Revendreth being tortured for eternity for that, but between him and Zul’jin, we just couldn’t help ourselves and wanted to see him suffer worse. I think Anasterian’s eternal torment was going to come in the .3 patch but, well, cut content because Shadowlands sucked.

1 Like

The Sunwell, like the Well of Eternity, is just vulnerable to any suitably powerful cosmic entity.

Kel’thuzad tainted the first Sunwell with Death, leading to its necessary destruction. Kil’jaeden and Kael’thas wanted to corrupt it with Fel. Nether-Prince Durzaan was just the latest to attempt to use the font of power for his own ends.

Just as random death knights and warlocks pose no threat to the Sunwell, I don’t see how you can argue that an individual shadow priest would be an issue.

Because Blizzard needed a reason for playable Void Elves to have been former Blood Elves. You know, rather than just getting the Silver Covenant transformed or something.

2 Likes

Actually they did not worship light at all. The cult of the Light begin only after founding of Silvermoon and uplifting of humans. Elfs took human’s light worship and actually made into what it is in game. But before that, no.

Just so you know. In canon, it is Alliance itself, took belfs out the Alliance, by throwing belf’s army against far more numerous armies with no support from the alliance, and then trying to execute the entire belf army for accepting Lady Vash help. Anasterian has long dead, at this point.

I mean really, that could be said about anything and anyone in just about any universe too. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

The Blood Elves were never in the Alliance, canonically. Quel’Thalas was, but Anasterian withdrew his kingdom from it after the Second War. During WC3:TFT, Kael’thas sought to rejoin the Alliance, and to that end allied with the Alliance’s remaining forces in the north, under Othmar Garithos. Garithos did not have the power to induct new members into the Alliance. As such, Kael’thas, the Blood Elves, and Quel’Thalas never rejoined.

3 Likes

Pretty sure that was in response to how the Alliance treated them. With distance and coldness.
As for other more recent instances. Well sending a spy as your ambassador and saboteurs into the kingdom when there were talks on rejoining the Alliances wasn’t a great foot to start on. Sending a hostile Night Elf force to not only mess with the Blood Elves efforts to retake their land from the Scourge but to generally kill their soldiers is also…a bad foot to step out on. Compared to the Horde that sent legitimate ambassadors and the Forsaken that sent legitimate support.
And then there was the second time talks opened to joining the Alliance and…well that went down the tubes thank to an angry woman that probably should’ve been in therapy for her trauma instead of being appointed as head of a kingdom.

2 Likes

One can argue the Alliance burned mending bridges, although that brings in a whole other conversation that I believe has been had in this thread. Namely, Garithos was not a representative of the Alliance with any kind of authority to act on it’s behalf, only to lead it’s military efforts, as well as the fact the man was being manipulated by Dreadlords, although the exact chronology on when is unknown.

It was also a very weird story. I mean, you had the Night Elves sending an army across the world to investigate reckless arcane magic use in Quel’Thalas after ignoring it for 10 millennia in their own backyard (Dire Maul), all while their sacred forests were lousy with demons, satyr, naga, corrupt furbolg, and orcs. I mean, the sentinels couldn’t be bothered to mobilize their army at all during Vanilla (save for a moment in the Alterac Valley BG), but when it comes time to try to justify the Blood Elves going Horde, they conveniently decide to go invade another nation.

The Quel’Thalas 1-20 questline isn’t exactly the best written. It’s canon, but that doesn’t make it a triumph of storytelling. Blizzard spent more time focusing on why the Blood Elves should hate the Alliance and kill every Human, Night Elf, and Dwarf as the game’s PvP system demands, rather than building any reason for them to actually join the Horde. The Blood Elves all but instantly trust the Forsaken whom pinky swear (those whom still had pinky fingers) that they weren’t bad or like the Scourge at all. Meanwhile we saw nothing between the Blood Elves and Orcs, Tauren, or Trolls. No attempts to overcome old hatreds.

That’s been a consistent problem with the Horde narrative where the Blood Elves are concerned as well. Old hatreds need to be ignored and brushed under the rug, while old camaraderie with the Alliance’s races and nations needs to be brushed under the rug until the Horde needs access to an Alliance themed neutral organization (Dalaran), at which point the narrative leans into it. The Blood Elf narrative also needs to ignore recent actions the Alliance has taken on their behalf (restoring the Sunwell being the most glaring example).

The Purge of Dalaran is a whole other can of worms. Suffice to say between rewrites, cut content, and bugs, it’s a headache. All I’ll say there is, Garrosh had OG Sylvanas levels of subterfuge and cunning going for him, sabotaging the talks the way he did.

Of course, why those talks were happening at all is another problem with the Blood Elf narrative. Its as if the Devs said, “Okay, yeah, their reasons for joining the Horde were super weak, we just wanted a pretty race with Paladins on the Horde to help them raid more,” and then tried to give them a new reason. Except… as noted, between rewrites, cut content, and bugs, it was more of a massive headache than anything else.

[Edit]: And to re-iterate, I am not saying the Blood Elves could not or should not have gone Horde. I’m saying Blizzard wrote a lousy story behind it, and their attempts to justify it since have been equally lousy. This isn’t all that surprising though. Blizzard’s storytelling hasn’t exactly been known for quality.

4 Likes

To an extend.
He was awknowledged by the Alliance’s next largest member, Ironforge, due to being the last remaining high ranking officer and argueably the strongest warlord in the area. So he was recognized officially by another powerful member of the Alliance, it is why they sent him military aid.

This one is half-half.
The fight in the raid is done by Alliance adventurers in part, but the Blood Elves also fought to make it happen themselves. It was then a further coalition of naaru and Velen for their own ulterior goal, which is to bring the Blood Elves into the Army of the Light which brought about the reignition of the Sunwell. Just because it was the naaru and Velen who ended up restoring the Sunwell, does not mean it was an Alliance effort which reignited the Sunwell. We know that everything that happened to M’uru was planned by Velen, A’dal and M’uru himself. And it was with the sole goal to bring the Blood Elves into the light, so to speak.

We are treading Valeera Sanguinar areas, a Blood Elf who identifies with the main bulk of her people who are largely Horde, she sympathises with them, and she does mission on behalf of Lor’themar. But she is also very loyal to the Wrynn family exclusively, which means she will do missions for a member of the Alliance, but that loyalty is very specific and she would likely stab any other human in the back if she needed to, just not Anduin. What Valeera does are not acts of Alliance or Horde, those are the acts of Valeera, in the same vein, Velen does not do acts of Alliance or Horde (nor does the naaru), he does acts of Velen.

Velen, Khadgar, Valeera, Thrall (in Cataclysm) should not be considered Horde or Alliance, some characters are just neutral through and through, even if they identify with a specific faction-loyal race.

Recognized as a military leader, not as a figurehead of the Alliance. Ironforge didn’t send diplomats to entreat with the, ‘Acting-Regent,’ of Lordaeron. They sent supplies and troops to support the Lordaeron military, per the Alliance’s requirements that member-nations provide mutual support and defense in the event of active threats.

That Army of the Light plotline got dropped like a hot potato in Legion, huh? Regardless of the why, the fact remains it was an Alliance leader whom reignited and cleansed the Sunwell. At that point, Lor’themar was already making preparations to destroy the Sunwell a second time.

Valeera is not a leader of the Horde, though. You can see how the comparison is flawed.

Some characters actively leave their faction to pursue a neutral goal; Khadgar and Thrall are examples. Velen hasn’t left the Alliance, nor is he really the only example of the Alliance helping the Horde. I don’t know if I’d say Valeera is Horde, so much as she is Pro-Quel’Thalas. The Horde did enslave her and force her into fighting for her life in gladiatorial pits for the amusement of the inhabitants of Orgrimmar.

1 Like

Who else would be representatives for the Lordaeron humans at the moment? King Terenas? Arthas? Calia? Some Lordaeron nobles? Uther? I guess not, they were all dead. At the moment, Garithos was the only recognized figurehead of anything, Ironforge judged him the best candidate to get Lordaeron back and treated it as such, so they sent him aid.

Hardly, the point still stands. They both identify with races that are largely part of each respective factions, and they are both doing efforts that help either faction in a sense. Leader or not, the acts are the same, their situation is the same. Does not make it an act of Alliance or Horde.

Except that wasn’t how the Alliance worked. It would have been a breach of Lordaeron’s sovereignty to basically say, “Garithos is the new King.” It would be up to Lordaeron to produce it’s new ruler, and if the Scarlet Crusade’s membership was anything to go off of, there were a fair number of candidates.

How are their situations the same? Valeera owes a blood debt of honor to the House of Wrynn for saving her from Horde slave pits. Velen was helping the Blood Elves because he believed it was the best course of action in the long-term, not because he owed them anything. Indeed, the Blood Elves had victimized his people on their new lands. There was no debt to be paid, no existing sense of gratitude or camaraderie.

2 Likes

Garithos as I remember it, was an equally prominent family name. It is why Othmar was so well-recognized, other than being a competent warlord himself.

They are both members of a respective race within either faction but neither does much to help the efforts of the overall factions, instead focusing their efforts on neutral acts. Surprisingly no draenei was harmed in the defense of Teldrassil, despite the draenei being situated on Azuremyst Island, and despite Velen recognizing the potential danger of the draenei on the island (Which never came to).

It just seems to me, that Velen does not commit the draenei fully to anything but neutral actions, whether his people is a member of the Alliance or not. He is committed to helping Alliance refugees in Stormwind when Teldrassil was burned, but actively fight the Horde? He would rather not at all, and as far as I know, he never talked about doing so.

Indeed, but it would still be up to Lordaeron to decide it’s new King, Regent, or whatever office would be deemed appropriate to represent them in the Alliance.

Just because Velen has had a lot of screen time focused on neutral storylines, does not mean he nor the Draenei aren’t a part of the Alliance, or do not act in it’s interest.

1 Like

And that would obviously end up being the guy who got crap done.
Othmar Garithos had the manpower, he had the backing of the military, the backing of the Alliance’s current biggest member, and would probably get the backing of the people as a result of being ‘the savior’

Not that any of that matters, the only thing that matters in that Othmar at the moment of events, was recognized as the only viable figurehead for the Lordaeron humans, as the only highest ranking member of the remnants of the Lordaeron military.

That is not what I am arguing.
What I am writing is that Velen’s actions are not the Alliance’s actions. Velen and the naaru reigniting the Sunwell is not a benevolent act of the Alliance.