Blood Elf Shadowpriests aren't canon

Until Blizzard gives some dialog that states it is …
To those unsure what I’m referring towards –

Grand Magister Rommath: This is why I demanded that Umbric and his radicals be exiled. ANYONE who treats with the Void is a danger to the Sunwell!

Honestly, I’d love if Blizzard could stop ignoring the elephant in the room and apply some small degree of titan-damned effort towards addressing that … Like the Blood Elf warlocks, shadowpriests, and spellcasters who channel or harness shadowy magics or the void itself…

Like heck - When Umbric said that right by my Shadowpriest, who later popped voidburst & voidform by the Sunwell to destroy voidlings awkwardly, as Xal’Atath was laughing her toosh off – was I avoiding eye-contact with them?

Would seriously love some dialog or context instead of them just taking another sloppy turd on the lore + especially for the RP community of players who want to play Blood elf shadowpriests.

5 Likes

I really disliked when they lumped Shadow in with the Void. Before Shadow was a much more diluted form of Void magic. Basically Void that got a little Light into it, so it was safe whereas Void was just straight up pure darkness.

13 Likes

I really enjoy the Void aesthetic, but they should’ve added a fourth spec to priests, or a new class, because Shadow already had a pretty solid thematic foundation.

The change to the Void basically undermined the one of the most iconic flavor specs that a Forsaken could have. The other one being Subtely/Assassination rogues. Whenever I thought of Forsaken, one of those always popped to mind.

Trolls also got shafted, because the original Shadow was pretty significative for their lore as well.

9 Likes

Aside from the silly garbage that transpired I do think it’s funny that the last significant blood elf lore points to the removal classes when they are now introducing lore to add classes to races.

3 Likes

I don’t know, I kind of loved all the Scarlet-esque Blood Knight RP after this lore dropped. Reminded me of the high water point of Warden RP back when the kaldorei magic ban was in effect.

But Machet and Ferio are right, synonymizing void and shadow did the lore few favors, and blood elf SPs certainly find themselves in a weird limbo concerning this particular conflict.

4 Likes

God I hate the entire void elf nonsense

They should’ve just sucked it up and taken the decade old L and given High Elves to the Alliance alongside Void Krokul and Krokul

12 Likes

You make it sound like Rommath has full control over the city. Lorewise, like most of the rogues, they are probably in the darkened corners of the city. Far from the perview of the government.

1 Like

I’m not the one who made it sound like that, the dialog and the lore does.
Rommath is the Grand Magister of Quel’Thalas, the leader of the Magisters (Blood elves’ traditional order of magi) and one of Regent Lord Lor’themar Theron’s personal advisors.

I wouldn’t call that “Far from the perview of the government” …

3 Likes

The lore has also made it quite clear that alot of things can go on outside of Silvermoon’s government view. Just as not every warlock is state sanctioned in the Alliance, shadow priest blood elves are likely able to hid most of their activities.

1 Like

Personally, I think this entire plot is utter nonsense and it will never come up again so I just quietly ignore it

12 Likes

I’m just going with Rommath is a big windbag who ultimately can’t do much.

Whether you like it or not, it’s already been established in the lore with the void elves.
Which is quite frustrating that Blizz had to bonk Blood elf lore on the head, simply to justify the void elves.

Many, if not most of us kind of just have the mindset of Baal, and do what Baalsamael does:

Which is quite depressing, that we have to stoop to such due to the ineptitude of that writing & ignorance of the playerbase and lore.

4 Likes

They establish it with this group of elves who traffic in void magic and would be easily identified. Look, every race/class combo is canon/will be canon now. If we can have draenei warlock then a blood elf shadow priest is even less lore breaking by comparison.

2 Likes

instantly kill any shadowpriest that walks into silvermoon?

Other negligence of lore doesn’t really justify it.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well the problem with that is …
They could try :smiling_imp:
– Although that’s still not the effort of addressing I was talking about …

1 Like

I think you can be a BE shadow priest, but maybe not openly in Quel’thalas, or you can, but can’t go near the Sunwell. Or maybe nothing of the sort, because the BE reasoned, after all, already many people who dealt a bit with void magic must have been near the Sunwell without having the same effect on it as Alleria had.

As long as they don’t clarify it, you can probably RP both, a very strict version or something more lenient.

The whole Void Elf thing is a bit of a mess though. I quite like the lore on one level (the concept feels closer to the original BE), but on another level it’s very weird (how that group of what, maybe 20? 50? 100 people?, can be playable at all, how they “make” new Void Elves etc.).

4 Likes

They won’t address it because it was bad worldbuilding that whitewashed the Blood Elves and de-canonized at least one spec of one class that was previously established.

They don’t have an answer for any of this. They just needed an excuse to give the Alliance their own Blood Elves, while unintentionally removing whatever interesting conflict the Horde’s elves had left.

If they ever tried to address it by updating Silvermoon and removing all the dark magics and propaganda, then we’d be left with the most boring portrayal of an elven city in MMO history.

Blood/Void Elves are a narrative black-hole that Blizzard created for itself.

5 Likes

Join us Aussie. Ignore the story and replace it with your own. You’ll never feel more liberated playing WoW XD

3 Likes

The concept of people doing illegal things is apparently not a thing.

4 Likes

If we’re fair, it’s been… how many years with the Void Elves existing just fine on the Alliance?

Wouldn’t surprise me if Lor’themar determined they over-reacted and decided the powers of the void could be safely wielded, with certain caveats. The extent to which the Void Elves go (suffusing themselves with void power) might be too much of a danger, but traditional practices such as we see with the Forsaken’s Cult of the Forgotten Shadow, might be deemed more acceptable.

Also we should keep in mind the player character has always largely been an exception, anyways. We’ve had Warlock players being praised by the likes of Thrall, Tyrande, and Velen as if they were Paladins/Shamans/Druids. Actions speak louder than words. By the time the Void Elves get exiled from Quel’Thalas, the player character canonically has already established themselves as a trusted champion of the Sin’dorei.

1 Like