Blood Elf Druid Discussion

I’ve long felt that Blood Elves make sense for the class via what we’ve seen in their desire to heal their kingdom, ie: the dead scar / the land itself from the devastation the scourge inflicted. We already have Farstrider types who are more nature oriented than say the Blood Knights or the Magisters of Silvermoon, and I think its an interesting discussion story wise to discuss w blizzard going down the route of all classes on all races.

This came up on the GD thread for BE customization, but was interested in more in depth druid discussion routes for blood elves

9 Likes

Very easily realized IMO. Flavor for their forms is self-explanatory (lynx cat, dragonhawk bird, etc.) and “a subset of Farstriders delve deeper into nature” is a clean handwave. It’s been on the table ever since the other elf race revoked its magic ban.

16 Likes

Threw up in my mouth a little.

8 Likes

What would truly be empowering for Blood Elves as a race would be the planting of a new Mother Tree or even World Tree in Quel’thalas, in line with Thas’alah.

Thas’alah was an ancient tree that took well to the Highbornes usage of Arcane magic. The tree was responsible for the eternal spring in Quel’thalas and Highborne Arcanistd utilized the blend of Arcane and Nature magic to empower their runestones and magically protect Quel’thalas.

Now Thas’alah was unfortunately destroyed when the Scourge invaded Quel’thalas, and Deatholme was built over where it used to stand.

Planting a new tree, and hopefully succeeding in healing nature in Quel’thalas would be a great opportunity to come full circle in restoring the land as well providing Blood Elves with the proper, yet unique, basis of being legitimate Druids.

This IMHO would be the best way to represent Blood Elf Druids, when all races will eventually have access to the class. :heart::deciduous_tree::rose:

4 Likes

I would hope that they find a way to tie Phoenix lore to it. It would be a perfect connection to the cycle of life, death, and rebirth that could be equal to if not independent of Night Elves and their whole Ardenweald dedication.

I think a neat Retcon would be that as the Elves of Quelthalas fled its destruction and ran into the wilds of the woods, some became one with nature, and found magical pockets of nature in the woods of Quelthalas. Maybe there is a portal to some nature realm, where we find a few Elves who fled the destruction of Quelthalas, and stumbled upon hidden realms in their woods that they were not even aware of. And they come out of the woods to teach their people Druidism.

8 Likes

For the way for Blood Elves to have Druids they need to heal their grove in the Eversong Forest near the Runestone where it use to be alive until the walking trees became enraged.

So here’s hoping that the Grove is healed up over time. As for the Original Tree Site it’s kind of dead and still overrun by the undead scourge still around.

2 Likes

It’s also important to me that they also feel like druids. Just for comparison, the Glyphs they gave us in Shadowlands were the complete opposite and didn’t feel like druid forms.
However, if you look at Tauren and Night elf Druids, how unique their forms look and are adorned as well. This is how Druids are imagined and no beast of Azeroth uses their forms.

The Blood Elves failed to heal the scar a.) before the Sunwell was restored and b.) using the magic they already knew, and c.) before addressing the necromantic corruption of Deathholme, which was on the site of the original mother-tree of Eversong Forest.

This was before they had been to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, seen how Garrosh tainted it, or seen how it was later restored. This was before we had ventured into the Shadowlands and discovered the metaphysical roots of necromancy.

This was long after the arts by which the original druids of Quel’thalas had created the Rune Stones to screen the magic of the Sunwell from otherworldly attention were forgotten.

We have good, close, Tauren allies - even if we are leery of trusting, say, Night Elves or Trolls. The Sunwalkers are perfectly friendly with the Blood Knights and have been since Legion. It helps that the Forsaken don’t have Paladins OR Druids, as well.

Since Burning Crusade delivered Tempest Keep, there have been NPC Blood Elf Druids in game - albeit as antagonists. After growing a successful Arcandor in Shal’aran in Legion, we know the kinds of magic that mediate between Nature and Arcane, and better understand Ley energies. The woman who oversaw that particular feat is dating our Regent Lord.

I’d say that with new knowledge available, especially into the leys, Nature/Arcane balance, and the secret roots of Necromancy, we ought to be able to address the Scar, at least in Eversong Woods. Ghostlands may remain an ongoing project. But if Illidan could make common cause with sympathetic Satyr sects, I know which former Highborne know all about living in accursed, enchanted forests…

I think Blood Elf Druids make sense, and are overdue, and would play one for sure.

Obviously my thoughts are known. >.>

But I’d love to see druids brought in as a group helping to finally mend the Dead Scar and bring safety from the wandering Scourge. I’d also like to see the Farstriders embrace both the Druids and Shaman of the Blood Elves and expand their organization with them.

The Blood Knights and the Magisters are fairly well understood and well utilized in many Blood Elven encounters over the years. Its high time the Farstriders got a bit more heft to their stories and cultural impacts upon the Blood Elves. They often feel ignored or forgotton or used only a a military force of archers than they do a main stay of the Blood Elven people.

7 Likes

Every race is getting every class. Night Elves have arcane mages and Blood Elves will have Druids. In spite of this being the entire reason for the division of the original race.

5 Likes

I love that honestly, and I think they could even bring back some of the npcs from the starter zone I remember one I assume younger BE since the original quest giver seemed more like her mentor or teacher, but the BE that seemed more like the older generation was eager to get to Kael in OL, and her apprentice or student was more vested in testing land samples and trying to see if the land could be fixed.

I feel like stories like that / blood elves wouldn’t have given up on trying to heal the dead scar.

5 Likes

I think it’s a good idea, but needs to be done tastefully.

Blood elves and Nightborne should be druids, but they should be a branch of the magisters. Using arcane to “forcefully” enhance the flora and shapeshift. That’s why the blood elves have eternal spring and Nightborne have their beautiful gardens with no sunlight.

It just makes sense that they are their own sect of druids, and work separately from the real branch of druids in the CC. This keeps night elf fans happy because blood elves aren’t stealing their schtick, and blood elf fans happy because they have something original. They’ve kicked their fel addiction, nasty habits, and lost what made bloodknights unique. IMO, lost the things that make them the blood elves we saw in TBC. This is a way to re-take that uniqueness in a way that matches the lore that’s been here since 2007.

3 Likes

If I could have made a Blood Elf Druid my first day of playing WoW, it may have been the only character I ever made.

I remember when I started playing WoW. I was a fan of the RTS, but I didn’t know much about the actual game World of Warcraft beyond that.

The first thing I wanted was a Blood Elf - I just assumed they would be one of the playable options. I was disappointed they were not. (Thankfully BC fixed that)

After looking at the classes - I was always a fan of agility leather classes with pole arms/staves. Druid seemed perfect! But the only options the Horde had for Druids was Tauren, and I did not want to be a cow.

So I went with a Troll because they were the least repulsive on the Horde, and a Rogue, because leather agility class. And I indulged my Trollfandom.

But if the combo of Blood Elf and Druid was available on the Horde, it would have checked all my boxes.

Not really story related, I am just bitter that this would have been my dream combo when I first went to the character creation screen in vanilla, and now it’s like, 20 years later at the sunset of the game’s life.

(Cursewords on my Druid)

I do love Warcraft’s Trolls, but they are not even close to Blood Elves. Trolls have been there for me, and serviceable, but the moment I can be a Blood Elf Druid, I likely will.

Well, depending on the forms. The Zandalari dinosaur aesthetic is pretty rad. Hopefully Blood Elves get something awesome.

I would actually find it even more appropriate for a Blood Elf Botanist to have achieved an epiphany in Outland.

Its been 10 thousand years.

Let em be druids.

7 Likes

Naturally, I support Blood Elf Druids. I don’t stray from my containment thread much anymore, but wanted to pop in for support, I would play one in an instant should I rejoin WoW more casually.

5 Likes

Awe thanks so much for the support :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yeah I figured w all classes coming to all races discussing story for blood elf druids seemed pertinent since they could so easily tie it back into healing Quel’thalas :dracthyr_heart:

3 Likes

Especially since its… uncertain how much Blizzard is going to use the culture of the races that don’t have the class or not…

Paladin is looking sus for those races and I worry that Druid will be handled with less than stellar results.

2 Likes

I support it.