Blizzard/WoW Should Embrace Streamers Rather Than Punish Them

I’ll admit I’m not twitch knowledgeable as I have no interest in it. But I imagine this right here is the problem. Your twitch channel is not a voice chat so it basically just falls under advertisement.

1 Like

Like periodically inviting them to Blizz HQ for behind the scenes tours, getting them early access to alpha/beta content… giving them beta keys and swag to give away? Yea… they should think about doing that…

1 Like

Advertising is not allowed in game. Especially for a website where someone makes real money. Streamers get subs and bits which is a real money impact for getting eyes on your stream. Blizzard will not let you use their game to advertise.

Most regular players don’t like to see it in game - or on the forums. Glad you removed your Twitch stream name.

You will want to stop doing any advertising and instead pick a group name that does not advertise your stream.

They do have an Influencer program that provides benefits to streamers, websites/guide writers, etc. Those benefits don’t include anything special in game though. They generally are what Gaege said below. This ensures the influencers have access to content to do videos and guides, and of course in return Blizz gets free promotion.

7 Likes

Yeah, there is a large uptick in false reports ever since patch rolled out

One of the streamers I watch (smallish “mom n pop” M+ streamer of 40-60 viewers) caught an automated silence on Friday. Basically the same exact thing happened: his LFG ad got bombarded/brigaded with mass-false reports

It’s not really “Blizzard” doing this to streamers (it’s automated afterall), it’s the toxic/troll-y community - that is the root source of the false reports

This false reporting “frenzy” should die down in a few weeks, in the meantime I would avoid the major social channels (LFG, trade, general, etc)

2 Likes

I disagree. If your group exists to hype up your stream, it should not be in LFG. It should be on your social media.

Additionally, do not stream others without their permission. I’ve been in too many runs where someone will link their stream at the end and tell me they’ve streamed the run. Their financial gain from my hard work and gameplay feels parasitic.

It is not a false report. If you are advertising anything in LFG, even your stream, expect to be reported for advertising in LFG.

11 Likes

If he is advertising his Twitch stream in game then that is a correct report. Advertising outside sites has been against the rules since the start. Further, Twitch sites are for-profit for the Streamer. Blizz really does not like that, nor do many players.

People should not be using the group finder, or anything else in game, to advertise their websites/media.

10 Likes

Correct me if i’m wrong but isn’t LFG built to “advertise” by definition? Players advertise their group for others to join??

1 Like

Streamers get preferential treatment from Blizzard.

1 Like

The problem I see with this is Blizzard has rules against excessive advertising. When you go into the raid tab, it is constantly full of 1 player raids with websites listed.

Where as a person in a raid, currently running a raid, with a group in the group finder listed as “This is what we are killing right now” and recruiting members into that group to play right now, with no charge or requirments. Where when push comes to shove will just hit invite if they need a slot filled, no matter if the person is in stream or not, how is that the level of “advertising for money, or excessive” that is meant to be hit by the blizzard TOS.

Do we have to use in game voice only? Does pointing at your screen, talking about strategy, saying “stand here,” and actually doing the call outs count as less communication or unacceptable line of communication?

Simply towing a company line and making a straw-man argument about money people can make if they become successful does not address the situation at hand.

1 Like

I understand, but if I am putting my Twitch Name without a link to the website and without the requirement to even go to my stream it shouldn’t be considered an ad. Rather I am using it as an identifier for my community to find my group. I don’t require anyone to sub or give bits in fact the people who do runs for gold are more monetized than my group posting. I have seen larger streamers post their name on their group so the community can find them. This isn’t an advertisement it’s just a way for a community that loves WoW to come together.

Lost me there. Go be a narcissist elsewhere.

7 Likes

Its amazing how much you can cut into someones character after admitting to not trying to see their point of view, then brow-beat and insult them when we have a social contract.

Brow beat someone to death, perfectly fine so long as you throw out psychological terms as insults instead of curse words.

4 Likes

Soon you said streamer and support I stoped reading. The reason why WoW is in this shape is because Blizzard is taking advice from people who’s career and life is revolves around playing games.

That’s why we have this fomo content, Grundy content, and casuals are stranded to watch streamers for most of the stuff because they can’t achieve it.

Good example was interview blizzard did with streamers. They didn’t choose any streamer that was pointing out Blizzards/WoW mistakes and fixes. They choose Asmongold, bajheera , Telisisin and other streamers who genuinely will play this game no matter in what condition it is.

If you wanna good game , don’t let streamers influence the game and you will have good game. Reason why WoW was amazing before streaming industry was something

5 Likes

Spot on accurate my friend.

1 Like

My man just went over 9000 IQ. Correct!

People are sick and tired of lazy gamers who wanna profit from other players

Hey to be clear, it isn’t that GD hates Streamers. It’s that ENOUGH of the trolls here in GD will downvote / report and / or make awful comments on any post that is semi positive. And the people who have positive thoughts on Wow get beaten down eventually and tired of arguing with trolls and just resort to reading posts and skipping over the crap presented so predictably by the haters.

4 Likes

ANY advertising in LFG is against the rules. Blizzard has not done a great job stopping it. Those should all be reported too. The thing is, as the OP found out, it DOES have consequences. Those accounts do get actioned. The websites have a ton of accounts though because their business is profitable. Blizz Silences, Suspends, or bans one, and they just roll on with another.

Is spam. This is determined by the community - spam on a low pop server may be once every 4 mins. Spam on a high pop server may be different. It is when people get sick of seeing the same thing over and over.

Website advertising - at all - is against the game rules. Period.

Of course not. Putting the discord link is not discord advertising their free product. It is a group using a chat service to coordinate.

People know the difference.

But it is. If I put “Mirasol’s Fantastic Shirts” up as a group name, even without a web link, I am still advertising.

Other players reported you, correctly, for promoting your stream. They really don’t want that in game - many players hate it. Same goes for the forums. You make a thread about your stream, or promote your stream in any way, and people WILL report you.

Do not promote your stream, social media, or anything else via Blizzards websites or games.

5 Likes

I don’t hate creators. I think they offer a nice valuable service kinda like the nightly news. Streamers…yeah don’t get the “fun” of watching someone play the same content you can play in game. I see the value in watching videos for how people do higher keys. As a tank main I only really get to see my route or the standard pug route that Dratnos comes up with. So there is educational value there. But to listen to some rando talking about his stream while playing a game I can play…no thank you.

I get up early and get my kid to school, I wake up and open twitch while I drink my coffee. I saw sam running a viewer raid. I saw some struggle on a boss so I through my hat in cause I knew how to do that. Helped the group of early morning people get all the way to AOTC last tier. This tier has been the same way. My main is pretty geared, I bring an alt in and coach. When they hit a check where they can use more dps or something, I pull in one of my geared toons. A few other players are like this in the group, have formed an in game community, and have brought in many new players in a friendly atmosphere. Currently progressing on heroic Ryg, hopefully jailer falls this week.

call outs happen live, and errors are caught and reviewed with clips. Makes it easy to go over “what just happened and how to fix.”

To call this level of inclusion and instruction, mixed with forgiveness and coaching bad for wow shows ZERO attempt to understand what Sam does, while only overlaying the streamers people dislike, and the selling community pain into a situation that is not that at all, makes most of the counterpoints wholly disingenuous.

4 Likes