Blizzard/WoW Should Embrace Streamers Rather Than Punish Them

I will start this post by saying I am a WoW streamer. The reason I started streaming was to build a community that I could raid with. I have been playing since '05 and raiding is and will always be my favorite part of this game. Introduction aside I feel like Blizzard’s policy regarding streamers and the group finder has been punishing not only to the people that love and stream WoW but to the game itself.

Go into the WoW Twitch category and you will find a massive community of mythic key runners and raiders. This is great for the game! These communities come together for the love of the game and stay together for the entertainment and community the stream offers. Many of us streamers use the group finder but at times it feels like you are walking in a minefield.

I was recently silenced in-game for listing my raid as “(My Twitch Name) Viewer Raid” and having “Twitch @(Twitch Name)” as the voice chat option (no direct link was given to the stream). I was live when Blizzard took action against my account. Me and 20 of my viewers were mid progression on heroic Rygelon. To say the stream and I were disappointed would be an understatement. My goal is not to get famous or become the next Asmongold I simply want to be able to raid with my viewers.

I think Blizzard needs to embrace streamers rather than punish them. Blizzard should create an option to list your group as a stream group. Allow players who don’t want to see stream related listings to simply have the option to filter them out. Blizzard and WoW streamers have something in common, we both love the game! Why ban the people who do nothing but basically offer free advertising for your game via their streams. New World is a great example of a game that integrates streaming directly into their game (I understand Amazon owns NW and Twitch). In New World, you can even directly link your viewer count to your in-game avatar. Amazon does this because they understand the benefit streamers can bring to their game.

The thing is I don’t want to stream New World I want to stream WoW. I just wish I felt like Blizzard wanted me to stream WoW as well.

14 Likes

Yeah you’re not going to get anywhere here on GD. Sorry :frowning:

14 Likes

This is the first time I have ever posted. Should I have posted somewhere else?

You’re not understanding. GD HATES content creators and streamers. Also people are going to call you out for listing your Twitch name and say that you’re trying to advertise. Regardless of your intentions, your idea will not be welcomed and this thread will be derailed rather quickly if others get involved.

13 Likes

They only hate the ones that like WoW

they are full on board with their favorite content creators hating on WoW, which makes them hate WoW

10 Likes

I just edited the post to remove my name completely so people don’t take this the wrong way. Otherwise, I guess I will soon feel the wrath of the GD forum. I just wanted to get the idea of a stream group finder option to Blizzard somehow and I couldn’t think of any other way to do it. I’m a blood DK I can take the hits from the forum ill heal through it!

7 Likes

lol an interesting take and sometimes true as far as watching old WoW streamers that don’t play that often anymore. To me the hate is just pent up love. We all love this game and sometimes we hate how much we love it.

1 Like

I find it very sus that you are an active streamer yet have no idea about the forum community. Knowing your audience and the players they may also go and sites/resources they would partake in seems to be something a streamer of every size would want to know.

In any event, I’m always appreciative when streamers put their names/tags on their groups so I can stay clear away from them. I’m not your content fodder

12 Likes

I love reading the forums. I even do it on stream but I simply have never felt the need to post until now. And fair enough you don’t want to play with a streamer that’s completely fine with my option you can filter those annoying streamers out. If anything my option helps you avoid annoying streamer Andy’s like me <\3

I gotta say: I appreciate the enthusiasm.

5 Likes

Streaming is fine.

Advertising in game is not.

Hopefully next time it’s a ban instead of a silence.

21 Likes

But I’m not posting a link and I don’t even require people to be in the stream to join although it’s nice if they are. I am simply using my streamer name as an identifier for the group so people who do know about me know which group to Queue for. Much the same was Asmongold puts “Asmongold transmog comp” in group finder when he runs it. I think blizzards ambition to chase down advertising goes a bit to far.

I don’t report people here or ingame. I wouldn’t care either if you got your wish. I’m also not going to lose sleep if you don’t. It’s basically a slippery slope because what you are essentially doing is advertising and if Blizzard says streaming adverts are fine, it just opens the door to other adverts looking for any/all loopholes.

In any event, you can probably get around this easily too but from the Twitch angle…list your groups in the generic LFG tool but NOT with a common name/description but advertise it to your community that if they want to play with you, look in LFG for whatever title/description you gave.

Something like “murloc annihilation for funsies”…perfectly valid generic group that’ll allow your community to easily find you group and then you can go off and do the raid or whatever else.

But yeah if you insist on using the actual proper raid section, you shouldn’t advertise your twitch but make it clear to everyone joining you are streaming it and you wanted to give a heads up in case they aren’t cool with that.

5 Likes

I wish you well sir or ma’am.

Ugh, it just feels like so many ppl are trying to make a name with streaming these days and I’m like 🫠 do more with your life.

Watching ppl playing wow is so boring. I’ve only watched a few ppl over the years that I really like.

Just my lame opinion tho.

Take it ez

9 Likes

Honestly not a bad suggestion. The key is making the group identifiable to my viewers so they can find it and join. I may just start using a code word like you suggested. I just refuse to believe blizzard/wow doesn’t benefit from a large streaming community. So why not embrace it and give it a safe place to happen.

Thanks again for the suggestion though it’s a good one!

1 Like

you are a looser

4 Likes

Isnt this an advertisement in a way?

6 Likes

While I don’t have a problem with streamers, I do think for the most part they are good exposure for the game. Blizzard clearly doesn’t want the chat channels to become just another means for them to advertise their channel. Twitch is set up well enough that anyone looking for a WOW streamer can find them easy enough.

Ons a purely technical levels, it can be seens as advertisin’.

Nows I’ll agree it’s a bit of an extremes to take action on yours account 'cause of that (Nor cans I say that was why action was taken on yas) but that’s not something you’ll wants to dos.

You cans appeal or maybes postin’ in Customer Service may proves fruitful for yas, but I think that’s all you’re gonna be ables to do, unfortunatelys.

Honestly if Azzmantroll or someone like that did it, I can almost guarantee nothing would happen to him. I’m not an expert in policy but they invite people like that to the freakin’ councils and they get interviews with the devs, I assume they literally do whatever they want.

As a fresh up and comer (streaming is not my cup of tea but I won’t waste brain space hating on it), they should let you inform your audience when you’re on. IMO. I don’t even see a problem with “advertising” that you stream, if I don’t care it’s easily ignored but it might be a half decent way to even grow your audience for all I know.

As someone working on becoming a (non-wow) content creator I wish you all the best. I just got equipment but it’s mad daunting just trying to figure out what’s okay to discuss and who my potential audience could be.

1 Like