Blizzard's president called out Asmongold

Lol that is kind of funny.

At the end of the day streamers are about that money which comes from views and negative issues bring the views. He knows that and has made millions of dollars from views.

This isn’t even unique to WoW or video games.

10 Likes

I forgot about this one, imagine being so mentally unstable an emote in a video game hurts you irl. (Not referring to you personally the people that were offended)

16 Likes

i used to run a WA that would do a random emote from a list along with /say a corresponding phrase such as “Thats my purse, I don’t know you!” whenever i got a killing blow in pvp. I had to take it out because half the emotes were now blocked and someone told me people were reporting the /say part.

they need to remove automated reporting, not the emotes.

8 Likes

Who cares………

Personally I think it is quite charming he essentially said get gud

12 Likes

They just need to tell people to grow up. I too remember crying over not having a candy bar in the grocery store as a 5 year old. But I’ve matured past that, those people have not, than again I’m sure they never heard the word no from their parents.

8 Likes

The point is, that the vast majority of MMO players and many WoW players aren’t interested in competitive content. This statement kind of proves that the game is being designed around this audience.

It makes sense, because over the years, a lot of hardcore raiders got jobs at Blizzard and no they have the reigns of the game. You can feel their design ethos all over the game these days.

42 Likes

i have had people tell me they report anything said by an addon, so if you have an addon that tells your teammates you just used a CD or need heals, he reports you. they need to remove automated reporting because many individuals are petty and can’t handle having even the smallest amount of power.

5 Likes

What exactly did he say? Are there links? :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t. He genuinely believes what made WoW peak with 12 million subs was a bunch of obese NEETs and not regular people. He literally thinks that people living in their parents basement subbed to his channel guzzling Diet Double Dew propped up WoW, not that the game had an appeal to the common person. He constantly talks about wanting a game designed for and by some sweaty neckbeard.

He lives in a bubble. He lives in a bubble of his followers and thinks his weird followers make up large portions of the Western audience.

19 Likes

They’ve been doing this imo since TBC, or really even late vanilla releasing (at the time, not classic with 15 years of private server knowledge) Naxx40.

TBC was all about harder end game content. Heroic dungeons that are much harder than any previous dungeons. Harder raids.

Then in Wrath we see the divergence into what retail became. We see explicitly heroic raid modes being added for people who want harder raiding. They are making (stupid to me, but I digress) changes in Wrath classic to rescale dungeons every tier and make them harder. TBC and Wrath added rating requirements to PvP gear, making them harder to obtain.

It’s been a fairly constant theme from Blizz for…pretty much all of WoW’s life. I think that aspect stems from the devs caring about that aspect of the game.

This is guesswork, but I have a feeling people passionate enough about video games to work on developing them care a lot more about engaging content like dungeons and raids and mage tower and visions than another rinse and repeat world event that poses 0 threat or entertainment like we see made over and over.

4 Likes

That is silly statement. It’s also true that toddlers have been teething longe than some people have been alive. One has nothing to do with the other.

12 Likes

Watching people Seethe whenever Asmon is brought up is hilarious. You guys need to try not to think about him for 20 seconds. You’re like the people who have to inject politics into every conversation, just the gaming version.

9 Likes

The topic is literally about the dude. Lol.

9 Likes

The problem wasn’t exactly that some people got offended by the emote but that it became a tool of specific harassment that was being used to annoy people who did a thing some others didn’t like and it went way beyond the occasional “haha you a poopypants!” smack talk. Kinda one of those things where a thing gets taken away because a few bad apples took it way too far.

3 Likes

Come on now I know your reading comprehension is better than that.

Bringing him up ≠ reeeing about
Him whenever he is brought up

1 Like

I’m surprised Blizzard has been so professional about dealing with him. Qwik giving him a sick burn instead of excommunicating him.

4 Likes

Making an emote isn’t harassing someone it’s not pressuring them or intimidating them. They chose to be offended by it, no one else made them be offended.

13 Likes

imagine if blizz cut asmongold off from any ability to do interviews or blizzcons or stuff like that.

Everything I hear about Asmongold confuses me. It seems that he argues in favour of the game being made both harder and easier.

If I’m being honest, I feel like Ion gets way, way, WAY more hate from casuals than he deserves. I’m not saying I agree with all of the design decisions in modern WoW, but I do believe he genually tries to make sure there is fun stuff for casuals too.

2 Likes

I feel like you are speaking for a lot of the base.

But if you look at wow logs, raider io etc it would seem that a large partition of the player base wants the competitive content. I’ve met more people in raids who are looking to get a good parse then I’ve met that say man I just want to be carried.

If people weren’t competitive then the amount of toxicity in this game would be extremely low,

Go a step further every single mmo on the market has these same time logs etc.

Logs are mainly there for competition. The only reason they exist is so you can see how to be better and hopefully rank in the top.

The issue is though all these tools are there at any ones disposal and are facts we still have comments about how the base doesn’t really want this by posters like you. Who really mean I don’t want it

3 Likes