Blizzard's answer to congestion is really tiring

What if in addition to giving a transfer voucher when you take a free transfer, they also lower the population caps on servers, so queues appear sooner? That way people are less incentivized to transfer back if the new realm is healthy, but they still have an option to go elsewhere if the server is truly dead without paying for a transfer.

1 Like

I like that idea. I think the queue stick is good for keeping servers healthy.

Granted a lot of people won’t agree with me on this but I agree with what you’re saying.

People are absolutely worried about having to pay to move again.

Holy hell, that sucks.

That really sucks.

Yet the players want it both ways all the time… Folks need to learn to accept responsibility for their actions.

I assume in a couple months you’ll be telling the people on dead realms it was their fault for taking the transfer and they should just pay the 15$ transfer back, right?

It was just 6 months ago that Blizzard decimated the remaining medium pop realms by offering the free server transfer to Grobbulus. My realm went from a 1000+ characters in world raid logs to zero in a month. There was no choice there, other than don’t do group content for half a year. Grobbulus current situation is a direct result of Blizzards actions.

The situation on the mega realms like Faerlina and Bene isn’t as directly their fault, but it was well within their ability to prevent this fiasco. They took a lot of people’s 15$ to make those mega realms and now they want to ship them to smaller realms and then take another 15$ when they die in a few months.

6 Likes

Lol that’s a straight up lie.

The people who can disable transfers/character creations deciding not to do so and letting servers become unplayable just to blame the players is mind boggling

3 Likes

We’ve all been saying megaservers were a bad idea since launch but especially since last year. Now, to nobodies amazement blizzard has finally agreed right in the middle of prepatch. If they had listened to what people were saying they would have addressed this last year when it became clear that megaservers were a problem.

They should never have allowed megaservers. They were a mistake, they kill off the community aspects of their own servers and they cause faction imbalances which have bled over into wintergrasp having to be an instanced cross server BG.

4 Likes

What servers had free transfers to grob 6 months ago?

That would kill the monetization of wrath classic. I love the idea tho, it would solve the problem. But they won’t, because, money.

1 Like

Makes sense. This is what happened.

1 Like

Omg this cracked me up so hard between laughter and adorableness/cuteness :heart

1 Like

This is so accurate.

I belong in that crowd and you certainly hit the nail on the head and made me rethink my position on this.

Note: this is NOT sarcasm. You legitimately made someone rethink their position on the internet.
(Achievement unlocked)

Hey if I’m gonna say something probably
crazy or off the wall then I need to at least
look cute doing it. :joy:

1 Like

Keeps getting better xDDDD

The problem with that is WOTLK Classic isn’t going to follow the same consumer behavior as WOTLK actual, where the playerbase spiked up to 12 million and only started to dip slightly going into Cata.

It’s going to spike to a certain level, but within 1-2 months, most players will be gone. They aren’t going to be playing long term - most will just want a nostalgia hit and then they’re gone. That’s the appeal of a “mega server”… they can absorb a 60-70% player loss and still feel full.

The other realms cannot.

Create a problem, sell the solution. Blizzard makes bank off transfers even when they give it for free sometimes, they bet on you needing another transfer in the future which is why they do it.

No other mmo has this issue or even sells realm transfers, only Activision-Blizzard would. Even games older than WoW like Eve Online solved this problem a very long time ago and other Classic servers like Everquest and Runescape are doing just fine on their older expansions.

3 Likes

Bottom line, they have never wanted to invest in a real solution. Real solutions technology exists. Other games make use of it.

Very few care about server personalities, which could still be retained within a mega server sharding (just call shards server names so people have a better chance to play around the same people)

They dont want to spend the money on this…and we are seeing the benefits of causing a problem to be an income stream (account services, paid server transfers)

2 Likes

Problem was simple to fix, cap the servers at 2-3k per. But no, players just had to be on Faerlina with their favorite streamers and Blizz wanted that sub money from all the stans that wouldn’t pay if they could play with Asmongold. Player created problem, Blizz took advantage.

1 Like

This is entirely why I am on Faerlina. Our guild talked for weeks about locations. Most of them were transferring for a second time after being burned once and again.

3 Likes