BLIZZARD! why soar 30% nerf change makes no sense!

My take on it is that it’s a move to limit as a gold farming character. Are the few minutes getting to the next dungeon on your list looking for BoEs to sell on the AH going to make that big a difference? Most likely not.

There is also the idea of future proofing the game, which is actually a good thing. What would feel worse letting the ability get nerfed in alpha which is for testing, or having it nerfed in 11.0?

And it’s not just about old questing, future questing, or usage of old world zones for future content comes into light. Remember the 9.0 prepatch event chasing rares around Icecrown? Zerith Mortis, or anyother zone with rares? Not only is it killing the thing, but it’s a race just to get to it to even tag it a lot of times.

As far as Chromie Time goes I’m fairly confident that post Dragonflight we’re looking at another ilvl squish possibly a level squish, and this was Blizzard tipping their hand.

And finally it could be that the old zones aren’t coded to handle that type of movement and its a hardware limitation on them. I remember when 410 flying was introduced a lot of people were having crashes because of it. Even if its not on the player end Blizzard usually tries to keep the game accessible to as low a hardware configuration as possible.

These are some thoughts, but at the end it’s better that if they feel the need to limit dracthyr’s flight speed, that it happen in the alpha instead of a few patches down the road. We all know how people scream and howl about nerfs on live (next week the forums are going to be a wash in the tears of warlocks and hunters.)

1 Like

And, there is an actual toy for this:

4 Likes

I guess that’s why car racing at 60 mph is just as entertaining as car racing at 200 mph.

Nope, too long didn’t read.

Look once DF hits and you’re playing your lizard 100% you people will not come back to the forums to complain about the change. This is just the new thing for you to cry about. Like Blitzchung.

There’s many ways to have fun, and speed can be fun as long as it’s done in a good way. Drive safely! :stuck_out_tongue: And they do limit speed in racing. If everyone has dragon riding it’s a fair race, if they don’t it’s not. I don’t see the point of arguing that everyone should ride a horse and dracthyrs cars.

i 100% agree with this guys thread post and the statements he has made, and it actually helps to me understand why the change isnt necessary at all with solid points
try change my mind?

3 Likes

It’s not like they’re removing Soar so I was wondering what the uproar was about then I remembered this is just GD being GD.

3 Likes

the uproar i find is that its also being nerfed in Dragon isles when everyone has access to Dragon riding anyways?
which is far more superior reguardless

and for trivial content in old world zones there is many more advance travel systems out there for old zone’s other than soar on a 5min cd
the vipers guy listed a few in the thread and reasons to why it seems irrelevant

and people complaing about Dracthyr racials

Dracthyr/Evoker is the only Class in the game with its racials in its Talent tree’s

many people have also been trying to give solutions

some obviously want it reverted as to many means of way to get around old trivial content zone’s/continent’s easily

and refering back to the thread

1 Like

It is very cumbersome to use, when you need to start out from a high vantage point.

If you start out at a lower point, you dip down a bit to try to get more speed, and then just sort of peeter out a quarter of the way.

It is NOT the guaranteed zoom-zoom-go-ultra-fast that people seem to think it is. I spent a few times ending up on a mountain side in alpha, because of the wonky way that it has to be used.

3 Likes

People will eventually get used to it and/or some will be really better at it. And the functionality can still change a bit.

At the end, you’re still rewarded for it being skill based vs classic flying by going faster if you manage it. The difference was too high vs classic flying, it got nerfed to a decent level. Maybe too much? Maybe. Maybe by nerfing the speed they can also reduce the cd? maybe. But letting it happen like it was, didn’t seem reasonable.

And in that regard, they can adjust as needed, down the road, no? They might still get backlash, but it won’t be to this degree and it will fade out faster.

I said this in the alpha forum, and Imma say it here - Blizzard needs some wins. When people like something, and are feeling positive about it, them coming in with their Me Blizz SMASH hammer, is not a good look.

I personally don’t like the way that ability feels with how it works. It’s just not something that interests me a lot, and with how awkward it is to get a feel for it… .idk, it’s just very “meh”, to me. But a lot of people do seem to like it, and were excited to see it.

To me, the major point that keeps sticking out, is that Blizz is up to their usual shenanigans of “giveth and taketh away”. With this Drak ability, with the slime kitty, with the Winds buff being given out as a morsel…

They need to stop their bs.

5 Likes

This is exactly the type of crap that landed Shadowlands as WoWs worst expansion in 20 years.

And to think they tried to claim theyd learned a lesson and now theyve nerfed the funnest thing to come to WoW since Mists to the point where literally everyone hates it.

Theyll never learn until WoW is on maintenance mode.

6 Likes

To me it seems as though someone on the decision end happened to actually see GW2 mounts in action. In my opinion they probably thought it would be nice to include something similar in WoW for this new race of dragons, but I doubt they considered how to implement it.

I played GW2 for a bit and all their mounts that I obtained were instant casts and some even worked like the Goblin Glider where you could activate them in mid-air. I doubt Bliz researched how GW2 mounts actually worked.

Unfortunately, unless they actually understood the mechanics GW2 uses for their different mounts, Bliz’s methods still appear to be clunky and not that great. For instance, they are not instant because we have to ‘summon’ our mounts. The only “mounts” that don’t require that summon function are the Druid’s animal & flight forms and the Night Fae soulshape, which are instant.

It’s a stupid change and I really hope the dev who thought of it realizes this sooner than later and reverts this dumb nerf.

5 Likes

Well they can do that now too. No reason to not fix it in beta while it doesn’t change what it’s ingame. This is the best time to do changes.

It’s not really give and take when it never existed in the live game… same as the slime cat.

Either Blizz will listen to the overwhelming negative feedback and revert this entirely unnecessary nerf or theyll stubbornly keep it despite universal panning and youll know exactly what kind of expansion Dragonflight is going to be.

6 Likes

So if I read this correctly, they wanted to give the Dracthyr a special racial ability but all of a sudden realized that it way outperformed all other races? Even the DH? Who were the only other race that could be that mobile? Surely that experience should have told them not to go overboard in the first place in this new race presentation?

The devs also took the time to explain exactly why the Dracthyr’s passive was targeted so hard, “Soar is important to the identity of Dracthyr. From the outset of the design process, we knew that Dracthyr had to be able to fly in some form, even if we didn’t know the specifics until later. But, Soar is also a Racial ability, and was never intended to be a massive efficiency or performance improvement over other races.”

And what about giving other classes who are dragging around an anchor on their mobility (I’m looking at the poor Warlocks who have to spend their life force just to get some speed).

1 Like

Yup if they refuse to revert this terrible idea that SOMEHOW got approved by other devs, then I know this expansion will suck just like the last few they ignored our overwhelming feedback on and it will just be more proof Blizzard as a company is just full of liars and can’t be trusted to develop our game to be good anymore.

The fact they thought of nerfing something so vital to the races identity over such a stupid reason instead of thinking of just enabling dragon riding everywhere to bring everyone else up on equal footing since this will no doubt happen in the future anyways is beyond me.

This is EXACTLY the same mistakes they have been making since before legion, or you can even compare it to legion with the legendary system on launch where people OVERWHELMINGLY told them how stupid RNG was before finally at the end they did what players wanted too late and added an NPC to buy them and this will be another case of that unless they simply put Dragonflying for everyone everywhere in at the start.

5 Likes

You know literally thousands of people have asked this but what is the advantage of moving around empty zones faster? Nobody has given an answer yet.

5 Likes

if blizzard doesnt change their mind about these things,

this proves they have not changed at all. and i’m scared for dragonflight and what other things they will change their minds on in dragonflight.

5 Likes