Blizzard what is your stance on spell batching?

Gouging a mages blink isn’t luck. You can replicate that 100% of the time. Spell batching being removed makes it RNG if anything, more than likely impossible

at the end of the day not replicating spell batching is a change. It was in vanilla, and it has effects on gameplay (positive ones). You can even argue that the debuff limit was a technical limiation, but they’re replicating that too so your argument is honestly pointless

1 Like

I will be clear here:

No Spell Batching - No me.

Blizzard can go ahead and listen to noobs and casuals again, just like they did in the past.
Maybe they like losing millions of subs and billions of dollars.

Cause thats what happens when you listen to people that do not understand the game.

Spell Batching has to be in. Or a recreation of any spell interaction as privates do. Rather the real deal tho.

3 Likes

It’s not luck.

You don’t know what RNG means.

Spell batching produces predictable outcomes. You might not like it, but this is what vanilla was. Classic is not suppose to be “Vanilla, but with the changes that Banjaa and Ziryus want to make the game different and better in their eyes.” This is suppose to be a recreation of the game many of us bought and paid for all those years ago, and we want it back.

3 Likes

If we didn’t express our desire for spell batching none of you guys would even have any idea of its existence. It’s never going to affect you. You aren’t going to lose a fight in world PvP, because “hE gOt LuCkY” and gouged my blink, and vanished my pom pyro. That guys just actually good at the game

2 Likes

Well no, you just don’t understand what spell batching actually was. So,

I don’t want to get too deep into the under-the-hood workings of WoW servers, but here’s a super short version. Any action that one unit takes on another different unit used to be processed in batches every 400ms. Some very attentive people may have noticed that healing yourself would give you the health instantly (minus client/server latency), whereas healing another unit would incur a delay of between 0ms and 400ms (again, on top of client/server latency). Same with damaging, applying auras, interrupting, knocking back, etc.

That delay can feel bad just due to the somewhat laggy responsiveness feeling, but also because the state of things can change during that time. For example: Holly the Holy Priest is healing Punky the Brewmaster. Punky spikes low, and Holly hits Guardian Spirit in a panic. The server verifies that Holly is able to cast it, and that Punky is alive (great!). The cast goes off, Guardian Spirit goes on cooldown, and a request is placed for the Guardian Spirit aura (that prevents dying) to be placed on Punky. That request will be filled next time the 400ms timer loops, which happens to be 320ms from now. 250ms later, the boss lands another hit on on Punky. Punky dies. Sadface. Another 70ms goes by, and the Guardian Spirit aura request pops up, and goes “Hey guys, I’m here!.. Aww… damn, I missed the party. Sadface.”

We no longer batch them up like that. We just do it as fast as we can, which usually amounts to between 1ms and 10ms later. It took a considerable amount of work to get it working that way, but we’re very pleased with the results so far; the game feels noticeably more responsive.

I can’t guarantee that you’ll never ever again run into cases where Guardian Spirit went on cooldown and the tank still died… but it’ll be literally 40x rarer than before, and the whole game will feel more responsive too.

Well here is my stance on it. Spell batching from what I have gathered from YouTube Videos is interesting. I’ve seen rogues vanish different spells. I’ve seen rogues gouge blinks. I’ve seen some crazy things that happen within like an instant.

I think it’s because of how the data was read back then? So it was read a bit slower than it is now. I think since Blizzard is having a modern backend to Classic, we will not be seeing spell batching since that would be reverting back to older tech.

I’m not a computer person, but I believe spell batching was a technical limitation of the servers at the time and how fast they processed information. So… new faster servers… no spell batching unfortunately.

1 Like

You’ll notice, when reading that, that at no point is a random number generated. This is not entirely dissimilar to the system used in Super Mario called frame rules (if you ever watch the speed runs, they’ll talk about how a “bus” leaves the station every so often. It’s the same deal here.) Frame rules are understood and predictable. Spell batching is understood and predictable. There are no random numbers being generated to make outcomes ‘random.’ You literally do not understand what RNG means.

1 Like

Actually you’ll notice there’s a number of random factors involved that are really completely random because of various latency issues. The current system minimizes those.

Yeah. It makes it so the guy with better ping gets his ability off first. Nice skill

1 Like

Latency is not random.

1 Like

And if a mage blinks the cheap shot, and you anticipate it. The mage wants to blink out of the stun, and the server is giving its ok, but the next batch is going to get off in 100 ms, so the rogue expecting the blink presses his gouge and ques it up into the next batch , that now goes up in 80 ms too.

Both go off at the same time with the next batch. The mage blinks, the rogue gouges. Blink doesnt break gouge and as a result, the mage is gouged after the blink and the rogue can walk up to him or whatever.

With your “superior” version of today. Mage presses blink, rogue presses gouge, one of them goes off first, end of story.

What a boring and low skill cap system.

4 Likes

Actually it IS luck - because if the mage is on 1 side of the batch and the rogue is on the other it doesn’t work.

The fact that you cannot tell where it is at means it’s luck.

That’s not luck, the rogue was simply too late.

1 Like

Yes, yes it is.

Incorrect.

Very good argument. I’m sold

There is a little element of luck.

If in our little mage blink gouge example, the batch is 1ms before getting evaluated, the blink may come through or the gouge may come through first without interaction.

But as the batches are 400ms large, the chances are way higher to work than it beeing down to the last ms of each batch each time you want to read something.

Chances. Just like a crit wont happen every hit.

1 Like

Actually it’s quite random. On top of the players having no visibility to when the batches are actually processing server side.

1 Like

Right, but it IS luck.

It’s not.

You don’t see it, like you don’t have a progress bar, but you very quickly get a feel for it.

1 Like