Blizzard User Research looking for testers with Disabilities (any sort)

I know we have a wide variety of individuals who play WoW, and many here have discussed the challenges they have. Visual, audio, motor, cognitive, etc.

The Accessibility team is working across games to improve access to as wide a variety of gamers as possible. Looks like they are teaming with User Research as well to collect info and test.

If you are interested in a chance to participate in User Research you might want to read this sign up here. This is for everyone who plays Blizzard games, not just WoW, so feel free to pass on to friends who might not play WoW.

14 Likes

Finally, some good news for BM mains.
(that would be a joke - don’t shoot)

Seriously though. My wife has a disability which I wont disclose but it can impact her day to day life. I will look further into this. Interesting stuff.

8 Likes

I suppose the derogatory terms thrown at me by others don’t count.

edit: yikes … posted too late.

1 Like

What about Demon hunters :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hey man.
It’s an easy joke, I take what I can. Hunter is actually my main alt (and previous main) and possible my DF main, so I’m also teasing myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Do Gnomes who can’t reach very high count?

2 Likes

I may sign up for it too. This is across ALL Blizzard games, not just WoW, so feel free to pass on to other friends who are not WoW focused.

A lot of disabilities are also age related, low vision, motor control/dexterity issues, hearing loss. Helping game companies with research helps the whole community long term.

The Accessibility team was formed a few years ago and works across all Blizzard games. They do have an email you can reach them at if you don’t want to participate in testing, but want to send along feedback on gaming issues that impact you.

I know you are trying to be funny, but no, they are looking for real life issues with vision, hearing, mobility/dexterity, cognitive processing, etc. The things you often see addressed by color bindness options, anti-flash options, text to speech, tactile feedback, controller device compatibility, etc. This can also include issues with things like jumping puzzles (lack of depth perception), short term memory deficits, etc. Sometimes quests need options to make them user friendly, or alternatives to those quests.

4 Likes

Great to see them being a bit more proactive on this front finally.

2 Likes

Immortal is an MMO, so I am not sure Solo was a core feature of that particular Diablo game. I say this as a Solo player, even in Diablo games. I LOVE some of the features that Immortal does have though. The footprints on the map, clear target markers for quests/activities, auto nav once you unlock that zone, great tutorials for game features, text to speech, colorblind options, screen flash/contrast options, lots of controller compatibility and configuration options.

While some players with disability issues, may prefer to play solo (I do), others don’t so they very much want to ensure they have play options as well.

That has not been great in gaming overall but has been changing the past several years across the industry. Something I highly support.

Also note, WoW, as an MMO, is not set up for solo play - and it is something I have asked them to change. It does not have to give the best loot, but I want to still see the story, be able to learn dungeon layouts etc. I made a thread about it when the Council started.

This is awesome news!

Will they be paying said people with disabilities for their time? Is it an employment opportunity or are they relying on people with disabilities to work for free?

I do not know the details. Past Blizzard User Research testing does have some rewards, but was mostly voluntary. Details will probably be given to the individuals chosen

You can look at the general program here. I was never selected so I don’t know what they gave.

Ah, I see. So it’s not an employment opportunity nor are they hiring or paying people for their time it seems. Just a “sign up and give us your ideas for free” kind of affair.

No, thank you. As a person with disabilities myself, my time and effort are valuable. I’ll pass.

2 Likes

i just saw this lol

2 Likes

That deals with interns. Blizzard interns are all paid, provided with travel, provided with housing, and provided with a structured professional development program in addition to any assigned intern tasks.

Again, I don’t know the details of what the User Research team is provided to use for compensation, if any.

I would also like to know this!

For the rest of us it does. Night out in Ironforge is just an endless stream of:
Can you get my drink from the table?
Can you put my drink on the table?
Can you get my drink from the table?
Never mind I wasn’t really thirsty, can you put it back?
Oh I was thirsty, can you get my drink from the table?

1 Like

And edited. Thanks. I did not even notice that I left a word out.

1 Like

No problem. (I deleted my comment before it derails the thread)

It should really be paid. I think even focus groups get paid.