Blizzard, stop holding back Voldunai rep!

Anyone saying that 8.3 is now a full time job has never had a full time job.

3 Likes

I am referring to the specific post linked, not the title.

Oh wait, linked failed.

this is the post

That post is dumb, in BC you needed to do a lot more than “grind badges for catch-up gear” to be anywhere close to raid-ready, not to mention that you needed to be a top-notch player just to get INTO a Sunwell guild.

He’s deliberately downplaying the efforts required in previous expansions and deliberately exaggerating what’s required this time.

Not to mention he’s going on about things like badge gear in Wrath, which took MONTHS to gear up in unless you were ALREADY doing ICC.

1 Like

I remember badge gear in Wrath.

I liked badge, gear, was grateful for badge gear, did the heroics and weekly raids for badge gear. But you know what I remember most about badge gear?

It seemed as soon as I finally managed to get all of the badge gear, a new patch hit and new badges came out. I was never ahead of the game.

People don’t remember how badge gear worked, at all.

The badges when ICC released were Emblems of Frost. Here’s how you got Emblems of Frost each week (max ## per week listed):
14x from Daily Random Heroic dungeons
5x Weekly Raid quest
5x Weekly Icecrown Citadel quest (10-man)
5x Weekly Icecrown Citadel quest (25-man)
2x Toravon the Ice Watcher (10-man)
2x Toravon the Ice Watcher (25-man)
25x Icecrown Citadel (10-man)
25x Icecrown Citadel (25-man)

Note that almost ALL of the Emblem sources are from raiding.

If you raided, you could get 83 badges per week.
If you didn’t raid, you were stuck at 14 from doing dungeons.

Gloves & Shoulders cost 60 emblems, other pieces were 95.

If you wanted a helmet, and didn’t raid, it took you 7 weeks.

For one piece of gear.

7 weeks

People don’t remember that.

2 Likes

You really gotta decide whenever “all those grinds are options, nobody is forcing you” and “well people were forced to do many things to get to X raid in the past too”.

You are forced to
Grind dailies and weeklies for rep for essences that might be good for your class
Grind old essences if you need them now because of the changes
Grind new boring areas to be able to farm horrific visions for the mandatory cloak upgrades.

Now watch as more and more people will have to grind corrupted gear because the DPS increase from an ULTRA RNG source is ridiculous

The game has become worse, with more grinding and time gating than ever because wow is trying to punish players for leaving and keep them playing longer instead of being fun.

In swtor i can play whatever I want, get rewarded with gear, have fun and if i want a break i can take one without worrying of staying behind everyone else because i lost a week.

1 Like

7 weeks

For one piece of gear.

That was the reality of wrath.

1 Like

This is what I did. Daily heroics, and the Weekly Raid. The Weekly Raid was one boss and totally puggable. I used to rally up Druid Only Raid Weeklies. Those were a lot of fun.

I specifically rolled a tank to be able to do this content, since that way I knew I would get groups. I shelved my rogue and rolled a DK.

I’m fine with reputation farming.

It just needs to not be timegated.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m saying. I don’t mind doing the grind but let me grind.

2 Likes

Except no one’s holding anything back?

You could have already hit exalted long, long ago. It’s not really bad game design if you only now just started playing.

1 Like

I knocked out the rep from friendly to exalted in about 1-2 weeks during the anniversary event.

Was nuts.

Had the +50% WQ bump + anniversary rep bump + contract

Knocked out a lot of the side Voldani quests then

1 Like

what all the complainers are essentially asking for is to have blizzard design the game for people who don’t play the game and don’t want to play. It lowers morale for everyone else who is enjoying the game, but they have to enjoy it less because they have to endure your REEEEing

I disagree with this comparison. Was a race locked behind the Timbermaw rep grind?

No I’m saying that they have slowed rep gains by not giving emissaries. Its population control because of popularity of the fox.

Most people in BC weren’t Sunwell tier players though. The grinding you needed to be a T4/T5 player wasn’t nearly as extreme.

And likewise in Wrath, sure gearing up through badges (without doing ICC) was slow…For t10 gear, you more or less could spam your heart out for T9 or below.

Not to mention the honor grind was more or less straightforward and worked perfectly fine for augmenting you unlucky slots.

What made those expansions “good” (including Cata as well, since it’s gearing model was more or less the same) for alts was simply that gear was the only barrier you had for character power.

Which is how it should be.

The problem for alts comes down to the past few expansions removing the power from the gear you get and locking it behind other factors, whether it be AP, legendaries (either the MoP Cloak/WoD Ring style, or Legions RNG legendaries), or in BFA, Azerite essences.

Character power is less and less about what level of content you do, and more and more about whether you can be bothered doing hundreds upon hundreds of trivial and mindnumbing tasks on more than one character.

I have literally no issue with gearing alts. That’s easy, and quite frankly, enjoyable. It’s everything else that comes with an alt that makes me look at the half a dozen 120’s on my character screen, besides my main and go “nah”.

4 Likes

Not true, I always do every emissary regardless of the faction (except for Unshackled, I actively avoid Naz’jatar). I’m ~1/4 into revered.

1 Like

Take it up with the guy in the other thread, he was the one saying how easy it was “for a fresh character to jump directly into the final raid tier of each expansion”

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a dumb argument. Especially considering the nature of BC raiding.

No-one was jumping straight into Heroic ICC or Sunwell and pulling their own weight, not without putting the work in.

But ICC10? Or Kara? That’s a different ballgame.