Blizzard, start paying your employees a livable wage

My god this is gross.

You have employees who had to choose between rent and eating a meal, FROM THE BLIZZARD CAFETERIA.

The CEO is making record breaking amounts of money. And yet your own employees are starving.

Do we need to setup another store mount that instead of going to Make-A-Wish is setup to feed your employees.

What the heck.

hxxps://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-03/blizzard-workers-share-salaries-in-revolt-over-wage-disparities

30 Likes

“livable wage” is a left wing talking point that makes 0 sense; because “living wage” is a broad “term” to use that varies by each person to consider what’s “livable” to them.

I do agree with competitive pay within the industry. I do not like how jobs punish us nowadays for talking about our yearly pay with our peers. It does nothing but allow businesses to gimp workers.

I know this sucks because currently in Tennessee, State jobs don’t pay no where near what the private industry is paying and they’re losing their veterans at said jobs quickly and the resounding reason in the emails is, “Better pay” or “better work environment”.

Nice lock mods. Going to unlist and delete it too?

15 Likes

I didn’t say I didn’t care; however, I don’t agree with the “term” that’s been thrown around the past 4 - 6 years. The term doesn’t make sense because what’s “livable” to someone, isn’t to someone else. I do agree with competitive pay within industries though.

2 Likes

livable wage isn’t a broad term. It’s literally in the name. Livable wage. Do you have a roof over your head? can you pay your bills? can you eat? can you save some small amounts of money in case of emergencies? That’s basically all the stuff you need for a wage to be considered Livable.

28 Likes

A livable wage is one in which people are able to pay rent, utilities, buy food, Etc on a full time employment schedule.

It’s only a “left wing” idea insofar as the right wing is doing whatever they can to help capital avoid paying labor living wages.

Knock it off with this “left wing talking point” junk. It’s an economic class issue.

30 Likes

If they feel they are underpaid they are free to go work elsewhere.

11 Likes

And we are free to publicly shame Blizzard and any other company that pays their employees too little

15 Likes

Over 50% of jobs in the US are underpaid.

hxxps://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2019/11/21/low-wage-work-is-more-pervasive-than-you-think-and-there-arent-enough-good-jobs-to-go-around/

Anyone who tells someone to quit and look somewhere else. Please hire these Blizzard employees or shut the hell up.

11 Likes

This is a Blizzard location problem and not a Blizzard pay problem.

9 Likes

That article says nothing at all really
There is not a single bit of data or evidence on there.

We don’t know what people are getting paid, what their jobs are, or what they are actually spending their money on.

Im not going to just take his word for it.

5 Likes

Exactly my feelings on the matter. They aren’t indentured servants.

Often times it is easier to complain than better your situation.

2 Likes

And it’s entirely dependent on a number of outside factors.

1 Like

I got hired for Systems Administrator at my job for $30,000/year (after the 3 month thing, I was moved up to $35,000). That’s $15,000 under the median in my area. 3 years later, I’m at $x now but still under the median by $3,000.

I’ve been trying to leave the job since the first year and am still working on it. Other jobs would have me at $50,000 by now. IT market is dried up but yes, if you’re not happy with your current job, move to another one. It’s not like they’re getting pension after x years by tolerating such low pay.

Still think they should get paid more but I also think they should be trying to move on as well at the same time.

4 Likes

Then you hire them. If you can’t hire them, then its not your place to tell them to look for work elsewhere.

1 Like

Definitely is my place to tell them to look elsewhere for work. :man_shrugging:

Get another job while also trying to change your job. You can kill 2 birds with one stone.

4 Likes

You don’t understand what companies do when they move. They then like to lower pay because the cost of living is lower in those areas too. They don’t keep their wages the same.

1 Like

What sort of logic is that?

“You should see a doctor about that.”
“Can you cure my cancer? No?!? Then shut up.”

9 Likes

I disagree.
If they are going to media then they’re making it fair game to comment on it.

They don’t get to go public to try and get public sympathy in a move to get a raise while also banning anyone critical of them

Are you suggesting that he can’t give advice? What he said is a common response to anyone who is dissatisfied with their employment situation.

2 Likes

People in here are acting like it’s possible for hundreds of employees to just up and leave for Riot.

Sure, a handful of employees might be able to jump ship and find work. But it’s not like a competitor is going to just hire a mass amount of people.

This is not a realistic solution.

3 Likes