Blizzard, remove your auto ban system

This isn’t an argument, this is me responding to unrealistic conspiracy theories.

1 Like

ok so you say gm powers to mean the ability to ban people with reports. because gm powers can mean a lot of different things.

so its a commonly held understanding within the classic community that there is a method of community based silencing and denial of service based griefing that can be accomplished if a group of players were so inclined. this is what we are talking about. im not really sure of how it works because ive never been interested in trying it. but ive heard of it happening many different times over the course of wow classic’s uptime

https://twitter.com/SavixIrL/status/1090420219619602434 evidence of what im talking about

There’s plenty of commonly held beliefs that are not true, this is another. Players cannot silence other players with right-click reports. The chat mute that occurs automatically from right-click reports is known colloquially as a squelch.

The squelch is a system that has been in place since 2007, originally implemented to primarily deal with gold spammers. It’s temporary and is removed or upgraded into a silence upon GM review. A silence is an ever increasing penalty that is applied by a GM after they review spam reports.

1 Like

fair enough. it does make me wonder why that dude got banned exactly when he did though

No Delimicus, you asked a question which people responded to:

Do players have ‘Game Master Powers’?

People responded and were like ‘No, players don’t have all the powers a GM has’.

Then you’re like “SEE! I proved my point about players not having any system based power to temporarily suspend/ban/push other players offline!”

Except you didn’t…because it’s two separate concepts.

This is just a blatant straw man from you.
It is irritating, because I know you possess enough intelligence to understand what you are doing.

It’s possible players don’t have the ability to mass report and temp suspend/ban someone offline…but it’s also possible they do?

What comforts you more Delimicus? That the Horde player got mass reported…a GM reviewed it and screwed up royally issuing him a suspension (ie. System works the way you imagine it does…but it failed miserably) OR the Horde player got mass reported and punted offline by an internal system until a GM reviewed it and went:

“Hmmm…something isn’t right here…how come a bunch of people from the same guild mass reported this guy??? I’m no detective…but this seems shady…”

Neither scenario comforts me much.

There are millions of players that play WoW. More people than ever are recording their gameplay sessions or streaming. Multiple reports will escalate an investigation to the front of the line.

Coincidences happen, Blizzard already responded to that incident:

so a whole bunch of players reported a dude and the system kicked him? or was it a gm?

Facts and common sense, not feeling based narratives filled with confirmation bias.

They said the abusive reports weren’t what lead to the suspension. The reports likely sent a pending investigation into the player to the front of the line.

well the result was that he was banned. im more interested in whether or not the ban was a result of an automatic system or a careless blizzard employee

This is factually incorrect. People have tested it and proven that it exists.

1 Like

No they haven’t, sorry. There is no video evidence of players reporting other players to have them automatically suspended or banned.

1 Like

If you were as concerned with facts as you purport to be, you’d have the grace to admit the Horde players recent suspension certainly raised questions about the system in place or the level of review being conducted initially by a GM.

Instead all I get out of you is essentially “Other people are emotional and illogical, but I am not”.

Neither of us has the answer to the question…the difference between us is that you posture as an authority on the matter.

1 Like

understandable, have a great day

1 Like

I’m not interested in having a conversation about GMs and whether or not they’re doing a good job 100% of the time.

I’m interested in dispelling an incredibly ludicrous false narrative and damaging misinformation being propagated by a large number of people on this forum and other community spaces.

If automatic suspensions occur from large numbers of right-click player reports, that means servers can effectively police the botting pandemic by themselves. They can go outside of Stratholme and ZG with a raid group and suspend/ban the dozens of bots waiting outside for customers. This doesn’t happen, and it won’t ever happen because automatic suspensions/bans from player reports do not happen.

You really do live under a rock. It is an automated system buddy. Even if blizz says it is not they are lying to your face, and you are eating it all lmfao. They are known to lie over and over and over again buddy. You think they going to pay real humans to go through every report? if you get banned, ask them for the reason, all you will get is the same answer of their policy over and over and over again.

You have to be absolutely insane to believe that Blizzard has handed players the ability to automatically ban whoever they want.

That’s what you believe, if you believe right-click reports lead to automatic bans. You believe that players have GM powers with slightly more steps. If right-click reports could automatically ban people, that would mean that multiboxers could go around policing the community.

It’s not about believing Blizzard, it’s about using common sense. Here’s a meme I made for these ridiculous forums:

Many people on this forum have claimed that Blizzard could hire a handful of GMs to ban all the instance botters. If right-click reports could automatically ban bots, then we’d have community policing by a handful of players or multiboxers RIGHT now.

1 Like

why are you digging up two year old alex jones-tier nonsense?

3 Likes

They no longer tell you with detail what they ban you for, before they use to send you the report of the whole chat. Now it is just a ban with a automated policy message and a copy paste garbage phrase attached to it.

1 Like

Grizzly is a known Incel guild, legit full of 18-25 year old incel trustfund kids, they would dox and IRL death threat among other things, legit half of their members been perma banned over the years of classic lol