Blizzard Quarterly Review today

It’s at 4.30 PM Eastern so you have a while to wait yet.

Just over 5 hours if my time zone calculations are correct (I’m a kiwi tho so I could be out)

Blizzard had talked about mobile games for years.

1 Like

No I can still post lol! >.>

Not sure if this had anything to do with it but I just saw on the news that Activision/Blizzard had a bad quarter and was going to let people go. Never have I ever seen Blizz mentioned on the news so I take it to be rather bad.

Classic isn’t generating any direct revenue, box or sub. No WoW token revenue either according to the no-change crowd. A by-the-numbers bean counter would probably ask, “What the h*ll were they thinking?”

The top guy in the food chain will have to weigh the goodwill generated or lost (not the accounting kind) versus the money cost when deciding what to do with Classic. How would they put a dollar value on that I wonder.

This is from the Classic forum. A snippet of Ythisens’ reply, and maybe I’m reading too much into it but it casts doubt in my mind. Trying to pull it off doesn’t sound good for something that is due in a few months.

2 Likes

I think the context there was trying to pull off winning everyone over, not the project as a whole.

That Classic won’t be canceled.

Classic only has one purpose, to keep more people subbed since your regular sub lets you play it.

That makes regular Wow appear more successful.

2 Likes

You’ll have to have a sub to play it, so… I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.

And before anyone starts to argue, the model is going to be that the sub grants access to both pre-expansion modern WoW (right now, that’s levels 1-110) and to Classic WoW.

1 Like

I do believe you have something there good sir.

I missed it, did they cancel classic?

So you’re looking at Classic like a free xpac or free DLC to a retail WoW sub? It certainly isn’t a patch.

Free means Classic is not generating any direct revenue. Is there any other way to define free?

Unless you’re arguing not a single person will play Classic WoW, then it will generate direct revenue.

Hell, I think Classic is gonna be a huge flop and way underperform people’s expectations but even I dont pretend like there wont be a few thousand people drawn back by the nostalgia, and to play it, they have to pay a sub that they wouldnt otherwise have paid, so that seems like revenue to me.

1 Like

Your logic isn’t quite there. But okay, put a number to it so it’s easier to understand. How much in direct sales revenue do you think Classic will generate?

When Classic is released, it will become part of “retail WoW” too. Are you suggesting that Blizzard won’t be able to track who is playing which game simply by watching login metrics? If so, that’s ridiculous.

Is it Sunday again?

Personally, I think Classic is a hope that, for the new content drought of 2019, it will bring back some long gone players and keep some others from unsubscribing. It doesn’t have to be a hit as I suspect they’d be happy if it even had a WoD response, that is, high level of initial participation but eventually drops off. It adds time played, extends some subscriptions and will keep investors happy until 2020 drops some new content across the product line.

In short, they don’t need Classic to be a long lived hit, they just need it to spike this year.

FWIW Classic wasn’t mentioned at all in the conference call.

This doesn’t mean it was cancelled , just that they didn’t talk about it.

How can anyone deny a rumor gained from a Ouija Board and Tarot Cards… Card 0 or 22 (same thing) and card 12.

They didn’t explicitly say it would be cancelled and since it seems like it is pretty far in development I think it’ll still be released. This statement did catch my eye though “We’re reducing or eliminating investment in games and initiatives that weren’t living up to player expectations or our leadership teams have determined may not live up to player expectations in the future.”