Blizzard is afraid to kill off their major alliance characters

The EK alliance isn’t “screwed” from not launching a reconquista on Lordaeron

8 Likes

To be honest, I mean this on a more meta perspective. The Alliance has grown past the Warcraft 2 fantasy, yet it seems to keep insisting that everything should fall under a homogenized human banner like things were in the Second War - BFA was pitched as something that got things “back to their roots,” and that was part of the problem.

It’s time to let the Seven Kingdoms fantasy die. The Alliance as a faction has grown past that, and it’d be great if we stopped pretending it hadn’t.

19 Likes

How many times must it be stated. If the Alliance lost Stormgarde the Horde could attack the very heartlands of the Alliance, heartlands that happened to have night elf refugees.

And as for Lordearon, clearly the night elves were all for it considering they sent their forces there. If the Alliance had killed Sylvanas then and there the war would have been over.

2 Likes

Stromgarde had already collapsed from a civil war in vanilla

5 Likes

And the Alliance took it back and turned it into a buffer state against the Horde.

And what would you propose replace the Seven Kingdoms fantasy? Given a large portion of the Alliance playerbase is attached to it?

I think that when it’s time to actually come up with alternative possibilities, it becomes clear that the Seven Kingdoms fantasy IS human lore. There’s nothing there aside from that, so getting rid of it is essentially getting rid of human lore entirely.

5 Likes

If anything, the things that were great about the Alliance story thus far had alot to do with the 7 kingdoms/return of old favorite. Gilneas returning, Kul Tiras rejoining, heck with Alleria we even got back our old elves.

Just because new stuff is nice/is important to be add, tradition and oldies are just as important.

5 Likes

I, too, remember when the high elves raised void-corrupted undead to fight the second war

Also Gilneas was such a terrible ally that Varian almost told Genn to go to the twisting nether

Gilneas is literally only cool because of the Worgen curse, otherwise they’re just a boring early victorian England

1 Like

They are Silvermoon elves. These guys were the one who were part of the Alliance.

And they worked that out and even made Genn one of the Alliance biggest supporters.

2 Likes

I love that he’s a massive hypocrite who overcompensates so people forget he tried to wiggle out of the second war at every turn and did less to help Lordaeron than current horde members

They are Silvermoon elves.

Funny last I check Silvermoon elves lived in Silvermoon

7 Likes

The fact that Genn is old school Alliance is one of the things that makes him a fan favorite for the Alliance, because it means he can apply the passion of lived experience to how he interacts with others.

He’s the one who told Sylvanas that she desecrate’s Terenas’ throne by sitting on it, not Anduin.

13 Likes

He’s barely even a fan favorite among the Worgen playerbase because he basically exists to be subservient to Anduin and to remind the worgen that they should be wishing they were human

He’s the one who told Sylvanas that she desecrate’s Terenas’ throne by sitting on it, not Anduin.

Yeah it’s funny as hell. Anduin deserved to say it more than him.

3 Likes

Last I can check Silvermoon can refer to their origin just as much as where they live. A gnome living in Ironforge is still a gnomeragan gnome.

Actually he eventually fully committed to the war, mostly once he realized the Horde could destroy his kingdom. Exactly like the Silvermoon elves.

1 Like

If anything, one of Anduin’s problems is actually that he’s so young that he sometimes comes off as detached from the weight of history. Which I think is actually an intentional aspect of his character, but it needs to be treated as a weakness as well as a strength.

4 Likes

He didn’t “fully commit” to the alliance and tried to avoid sending troops at every turn unlike even Anasterian, his depiction in second war novels is almost as shifty as Perenolde who was literally a traitor. And unlike him the Silvermoon elves (who are still in Silvermoon) sent people to help in the third

2 Likes

Genn finally got his spine back in BfA when he told Anduin, he and the gilneans were going to help the Night elves in Darkshore.

He’s one of the few interesting leaders the alliance has. :wolf:

13 Likes

My personal opinion? I think Genns biggest flaw was always that he cared for his people a little too much at times. That he was willing to cut ties with his allies if it meant keeping Gilneas safe.

And it mostly worked up until the whole worgen situation, :wolf:

Not that prioritizing your peoples safety over others is a bad thing, it’s not and I can understand why he didnt want to fully commit to a bloody and long war with the orcs.

3 Likes

The Silvermoon elf left the Alliance in Warcraft 3. Most of the elves helping the Alliance were there in spite of Silvermoon formally leaving the Alliance.

Chronicles is clear that the mages were being sent by Anasterian and in no way is it implied during the alliance campaign that they were there against his wishes.

That’s fair, my bitterness towards Genn is driven by heritage quest spoilers honestly

The heritage quest line though wasn’t even Genn saying the worgen are going to die out in a generation because they’re really just humans with a skin condition. That was his daughter.

It’s why I can’t stand her personally. Blizz doesnt want to write for the worgen, so they found a way to piss off the worgen fan base by saying human potential is all that matters :wolf:

4 Likes