Blizzard hiring practices...they keep stepping on their own..."feet"

Looking at the Data scientist job opening on the Blizzard website.

They seriously are asking for a Phd…but they pre qualify that with six or seven lines of diversity speak.

What they will end up with is someone that has a degree in organizational design with experience in HR diversity.

This is why Blizzard is failing, this is why the IP’s will all be converted to mobile …heck they already have a posting for a WoW mobile developer.

Stick a fork in it.

6 Likes

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blizzard.wowcompanion

I hope Elon Musk let you borrow one of his rockets so you can reach that high

3 Likes

Wasn’t for the companion…I hope Jack Dorsey gave you some of his Mushroom tea.

1 Like

The only mobile developer listing specifically says:

The World of Warcraft mobile team is looking for a software engineer to take our existing Companion App build pipeline to the next level.

3 Likes

Common sense and Logic!?! You can’t use that on general discussion

Well this is a proper outrage thread

Misread everything he’s talking about, blaming diversity, and saying it’s all failing

Atta boy, keep those standards low and innacurate

9 Likes

Give up op, that job posting defeated your conspiracy if you read the job description

They’re asking that for the senior/lead role, which is pretty common in the industry. The associate role isn’t asking for a phd.

3 Likes

Job posting was about the companion app

Of course op is going to be misread if he makes conspiracies

…Why the emphasis on ‘feet’?

I ain’t sure if this is a subtle confession of a foot thing or whats…

1 Like

These are the types of threads for popcorn. :popcorn:

2 Likes

Guess you’ll be unsubbing then? Good luck in your future endeavors!

1 Like

and pointless thread of the day goes to drum roll please

2 Likes

Please describe your experience in hiring data scientists and/or hiring technical personnel for AAA video game development.

2 Likes

He thinks they have hooves?

1 Like

Obviously a lowbar maint. Pseudo Sunday thread, but hey why not right?

Hmmm…

Minimum Qualifications

Master’s or PhD with a specialization in machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer vision/graphics, statistics, applied math, algorithm design, or a related quantitative field.

Guess masters, or equivalent experience doesn’t exist in the OP’s world.

2 Likes

The virtue signaling aside, they might still get a decent data analyst. I don’t think this has much to do with them investing in mobile games, though.

Mobile games make up about 3/4ths of the gaming industry revenue. I think this was bound to happen no matter what because the Blizzard of today isn’t the same Blizzard that released WoW in 2004. This is a multi-billion dollar corporation that is focused on making money more than anything else.

1 Like

The mobile game in this case is just the companion app, which is basically just there so you can do mission tables and see what world quests are up from your phone

Exactly. They only got in trouble because of “new hires” and their solution is more new hires and “lead new hire”?

It’s ok. They’ll eventually learn. Eventually.

I wish them luck on hiring for that mobile companion position, because many mobile dev positions in North American non-gaming companies pay anywhere between 1.5x and 2.5x as much as a dev role at a gaming company. Any mobile devs applying are either going to be using Blizzard as the bottom rung of the ladder and move to greener pastures in a year or can’t get hired elsewhere.

Source: have been a mobile dev for 7 going on 8 years now.

2 Likes