Blizzard Has Jumped The Shark On This One

Why Blizzard?!

Why was the Male and Female gender icon and title changed to Body 1 and Body 2 with a male-looking and female-looking icon?

Cis people identify as the sex they were born. That means:
XX, _X, and XXX genotypes identify as a female phenotype.
XY and XXY genotypes identify as a male phenotype.

Trans people identify as the opposite phenotype of their born genotype.
XX, _X, and XXX genotypes identify as a male phenotype.
XY and XXY genotypes identify as a female phenotype.

Neither cis people nor trans people identifies as “Body 1” or “Body 2”.

If you’re a trans person who was born a male and prefers to be female in game, reducing the genders to Body 1 and Body 2 does nothing for inclusivity. If Blizzard actually cared about representation and inclusion, then do something about the outdated character customization engine and allow more body types for any given gender. Don’t just slap on a half-baked solution like “Body 1” and “Body 2”. It comes off as pandering and insincere.

204 Likes

Don’t forget to post this to From Software, since they do the same thing. I’m sure you are genuinely upset with that as well.

47 Likes

I wasn’t BUT NOW I AM! DOWN WITH FROM SOFTWARE!!!

11 Likes

And in a week, no one will care. Amazing.

35 Likes

You do you care so much about a meaningless change?

4 Likes

I’m gay. I get trandgender. Do not get non-binary. I think it’s drag because you can’t present your gender without props. (Not here to argue my view. I will work on that with people NOT from this forum, thanks)

What I do want to say, from my point of view, I don’t get why they are being “inclusive” by alienating men and women.

The existence of transgender and nonbinary people does NOT erase my gender.

Male. Female. Body 1. Body 2. THAT is inclusion. What Blizzard did was EXCLUDE. Why? This isn’t about inclusion. That’s why…

105 Likes

And now COMING SOON! JUMP THE SHARK WEEK!!

8 Likes

You always post this conflation, but the difference is that From Software has ALWAYS referred to male and female in this way whereas Blizzard has specifically named them male and female for almost two decades but now are changing it. THAT is why some people claim this is pandering.

21 Likes

Anything even remotely LGBT related tends to turn into the equivalent of gas on a fire for most forum trolls, so I suspect that’s the actual interest.

5 Likes

Only if they get Adam Savage to host it.

3 Likes

It’s unproductive, divisive, and it takes resources that could have otherwise been spent on actually making the game enjoyable.

In a time when Blizzard has been downsizing their staff budget, paying somebody an actual salary to work on something like this instead of working on game design, art design, music composition, or lore design is a waste. So yeah, I’d say overall, it’s a net negative. I guess I’m a loser.

29 Likes

The way I see it, Blizzard has changed the terminology because they are offering the two types of bodies, and we pick the one we want to identify with.

They could have made up new words in the First Ones language : Hamshees and Beefingtons. But they went with 1 and 2.

4 Likes

Maybe people would’ve been happier with Thing 1 and Thing 2.

12 Likes

Resources do you think this requires? Do you think they have dozens of people working on changing this? This is an intern working for 45 minutes

12 Likes

Only if said intern is complete garbage at their job.

2 Likes

I have been wanting to make a joke about Thing 1 and Thing 2 ever since this issue blew up. But this discussion makes me feel like I cant make a joke about it without getting flagged, so I havent.

11 Likes

I WILL !!

13 Likes

7 Likes

Do ya’ll not understand that you can still choose if your characters are male or female?

3 Likes

I am offended they did not use A and B.

By numbering they have implied one holds a higher value than the other.

/s <---------

8 Likes