Blizzard has done the unthinkable - unite the player base

How is ilvl squishing even up for discussion? Nobody asked for it, and the fringe minority of people somehow think it’s a good idea haven’t even cleared swp. This is quite possibly the most short sighted change ever discussed or implemented

45 Likes

What’s the downside? I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal.

6 Likes

Lack of trust I think is the biggest. Some people really are worried that this will have negative unforeseen effects similar to the boosting changes.

Also since we just cannot have unity, obligatory anecdote about RDF

12 Likes

If I had to guess I would say Blizzard is suffering from the symptoms of “I-know-better-itus”. It’s terminal. Just look at retail.

14 Likes

I’d be very surprised if anyone still had any trust in Blizzard after changes like HvH BGs and how they’ve handled server populations.

I just like that it turns ToC into the auxiliary raid to Ulduar that it seemed to be at the time instead of a major content patch. 10m normal gear from ToC was higher ilvl than 25m gear from Ulduar hard modes, which is so disgusting considering how much better Ulduar is in terms of design.

3 Likes

TOGC: Stand here for an hour then fall down a hole.

Ulduar: an actual raid.

TOGC was a cool concept, sorry the tournament stuff was a cool thing to have. Very thematic, even the 5 man was a fun run with new, albeit clunky, mechanics. Ulduar is just pure smart design and story all around.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I’m a big fan of the change, as a lot of people wouldn’t even bother pugging Ulduar after ToC gets released just because ToC itemlevels are so much higher that it invalidates everything in Ulduar outside of Val’anyr.

3 Likes

You don’t touch the loot (by making it worse or making less drop) EVER. You just don’t.

6 Likes

I’m not for or against this yet, but I think the biggest issue will be how does it affect ICC. You’re essentially sending everyone into ICC with an entire tier lower ilvl. That’s going to make all of ICC noticeably harder. No matter what level of content you do you’re going to have roughly an average ilvl ~13 levels lower (based purely on their post). That’s pretty significant if you’re not going to nerf bosses to match (which they don’t plan to right now).

That might be a good thing, but it’s definitely going to keep some of the more casual guilds from clearing that raid for awhile.

1 Like

I’m skeptical of the change but I think it could be a good thing. Just really do not trust that this wont end up being heavy handed and in need of a fix in later phases

Why not, they crapped on the rest of the game, ruined the quality by using the retail engine… May as well flush the rest of the game down the toilet.

Like how much worse can we make it? I am all game to see how far it can go.

YES I am actively participating in the madness because some of us just want to see the world burn at this point.

7 Likes

That’s true for sure, but maybe it’s also not a bad thing. I remember being terrible at games back when I played in original WotLK, and I was still able to do up to Professor Putricide with random PUGs even with some of the fights on Heroic.

I’m sure guilds will struggle, but there’s guilds struggling with Sunwell right now and they didn’t even make any changes there. At least in WotLK you have the option of lowering the difficulty from Heroic to Normal and getting some gear so your guild can take on Heroic.

Why waste resources on a non-issue though.

There are better things to do with their time than a possible squish that serves no purpose.

Maybe they should explain why they are thinking that needs to be a thing so we can understand it.

3 Likes

They did explain it in a massive bluepost

2 Likes

Not really. I read that post and it doesn’t really explain the why of it.

I don’t really know how much more you want them to say, they gave 5 reasons for it.

I said the same thing the first time they made a change. What’s the harm? Dozens of tweaks later, here we are and wrath is wrath in name only.

4 Likes

They actually did explain perfectly why they want to do a stat squish. Even if you don’t like the why of it, they are considering it.

Obligatory RDF mention for the keyboard warriors.

Because it breaks the raid tuning of ToC and ICC and RS, which were based on the ilvls that are supposed to drop.

And based on what they said they aren’t going to put the effort into retuning the raids.

6 Likes

I guess it depends on how it’s implemented, but from what I understand it is simply making ToC gear worse.

Not to mention, they are also making ToC Normal/Heroic share lockouts, which they didn’t before… so it seems as though it’s a push to have people stay in Ulduar for longer, and get to ICC with worse gear than they would have had there not been changes.

It might not really matter that much either way, but we’ll see I guess.