Blizzard, give us official rules and guidelines for AV

Well, as far as I understood it, Blizzards logic is “If other players don’t like what you are doing, we’re banning you lmao”.

3 Likes

As someone who just ignores objectives and strives to pump the highest overall damage I guess it’s funny to see blizzard is judging my participation based entirely off of that metric. I got 26 KBs in kotmogu the other day. That’s a whole lot of participation right there.

It’s also important to remember that those of us here on the forums discussing the issue are knowledgeable (usually anyway) enough about the game and the objectives to understand how to play and what the meta is. Remember that a significant portion of the player base is not very knowledgeable, doesn’t even know what meta-strategy is. Not everyone playing is an adult - they could be kids.

So to ban someone because they got a quest that sent them to the cave in AV, or got lost on where to go, or are simply just exploring is insane. Not only that, but for 30 days?

I guarantee you there are people out there who were banned for less-than-optimal play and have no idea why.

3 Likes

Is defending an objective that no one ever goes for really participating in helping the team win?

There was a thread on the CS forums where someone was angry that they’d been banned, their tactic was to defend the midfield captain on their Rogue, sitting in their bunker in stealth even if no one went inside. I pointed out that a stealth class can keep an eye out for incoming attackers from outside the bunkers, you can also try and backcap several graveyards and towers in the immediate area while watching for people to make a move in that direction, but just sitting in stealth in the bunker the whole game was obviously going to be taken as a Netflix-and-PVP tactic.

I remember in the retro-AV event a few years back it was common to see people sitting out at the edges of the map or on top of the final bunker so that they could just chill and leech XP and honor. It was extremely frustrating to have so many people determined to do nothing to help.

The other thing to keep in mind is that non-participation penalties are, like just about every other penalty, reactive. Someone has to be reported for an investigation and an action to take place. From what I’ve been hearing from my son who’s actively playing WotLK Classic, when he can manage to get through the queue, is that the classic AV map has structural advantages for the Alliance. I imagine that Horde players are finding the experience to be frustrating, when they normally tend to be the dominant faction in PVP. They’re probably reporting people on their team who aren’t with the main group left and right out of aggravation at people who want to fish, seriously?

:rofl: :rofl: This has to be fake. Right?

1 Like

not at all

2 Likes

So you think if a player takes initiative, plays objectives, while engaged with the game and actively countering the enemy from completing their objective that they deserve a THRITY DAY BAN for a first offense simply because the hivemind no lifers on discord deep in the zerge don’t like where your dot is on a map?

How are you an MPV for the community again?

4 Likes

Yeah Im not getting it. If Blizz is going to have objectives in BG then they shouldnt be surprised when players do them. Particulrly when there is lots of honor attached. Either remove them or remove the bans.

1 Like

Anyone else feel like Blizz is subtly trying to do things to kill WoW cause they are tired of it but don’t just want to pull the plug/be too overt? lol

1 Like

tldr; of the craziness is “If you don’t do what the mob wants you to do then you get a month off”

A 30 day ban for playing the game. Why doesn’t this surprise me.

1 Like

Even before the ban wave I said it a few times, that I’ve got the feeling the WotLK team is trying everything they can to destroy the Classic project. The current situation is just another evidence.

In Mirasol’s defense, she’s stated several times she thinks 30 days is excessive. I think she’s just relaying Blizzard’s thought process here, not endorsing it.

4 Likes

Perhaps Blizzard should be doing that themselves instead of relying on unpaid players to speak for them.

1 Like

True, I am unpaid - but I don’t represent Blizzard or speak for Blizzard. I am only trying to share what Blizzard has already communicated. Players deserve to have as much info as is already out there. I can do that much. It does not change anything, but it at least gives players the most current info to use when asking for changes.

Helps to know a policy before asking to change it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow so you assumed a whole entire policy based on the fact that no one at Blizzard reviews mass reports by toxic friend groups in a BG. Please share with us Blizzard policy that states backcapping flags is bannable on the whim of how your groups feels in the moment. Do you even think before you post or do you just enjoy seeing the color of your text and being snarkey/ unhelpful. You have posted many times in this thread and it’s all just been speculation and teacher pet vibes. I will still ask for this format of bans to change regardless of what policy is allowing for it.

I will just link you to a great summary of Blue posts on the topic.

• Team reports a person
  • Reported in multiple games
  • no dmg/healing

Statements about “Defending” in the links here.

Some quick images they embedded

and

3 Likes

In that thread:

Non participation in BGs is NEVER safe.
We can see how much damage you did and how much healing.
We can see how many of your realmmates have reported you as not participating.

The first metric shouldn’t need explaining, but players focusing on capping flags in WSG, stealing/defending control points in AB, stealing/defending towers in AV can easily be the most valuable players in a battleground and not score high on this metric.

What’s insane is that the number of reports by other players is in any way considered a metric. One only has to look at the number of ways in which the report system has been continually abused by players in bad faith to see how this is problematic.

5 Likes

This policy needs to 100% change, and Blizzard needs to come out front of it literally right now.

They must not, cannot, EVER use damage and heals as a metric for participation in objective based battlegrounds, let alone to justify a 30-day suspension.

Ever.

As a reminder, here are Blizzard’s stated three pillars for WoW:

Nurture and Protect Social Experiences
Approachable and Familiar
The World is the Main Character

Blizzard, very literally, violate all three of these with this rule.

1. Blizzard is crushing social experiences by forcing players to be subjected to “veterans” screaming “THAT’S NOT THE META! REPORT HIM!” when someone has the audacity to have a differing opinion on how to approach strategy in a battleground.

2. Blizzard is making a GIGANTIC barrier to entry to the casual PvE’er wanting to explore PvP by literally banning him for playing the objectives when he’s not yet comfortable (or geared) enough to take on fully decked out PvP veterans.

3. Blizzard is preventing players from exploring and interacting with the World you created by allowing others report you for having the audacity to try out the AV quests for a few matches as a break from the last 50 matches you just zerged to the final boss.

This is a complete and total violation of everything Blizzard claimed to be doing to foster the positive improvements. And what’s worse? Blizzard. Is. Giving. THIRTY. DAY. BANS. for it.

Please, reconsider the impact these choices like this are having on the community and the player base as a whole. Reflect upon the design pillars when realizing this needs to change.

And do it quickly.

EDIT: Clarified I’m talking to blizzard…

7 Likes

Thank goodness I don’t care about PVP anymore.

I understand what they’re trying to do I just think that their way of doing it is open to bad actors. I hope they like sifting through a bunch of false reports