Blizzard cannot handle No Layers and World PVP

We need to stop sweeping this issue under the rug and address it head on.

After a large amount of research, it seems the community has either purposely ignored, or been completely unaware of a fundamental problem we have in Classic.

The servers themselves.

Blizzard hasn’t put the money, the time, and/or the resources into making Phase 2 world PVP a reality. The servers running the game simply cannot handle the prospect of large scale world PVP combat that we we’re expecting, and that will inevitably come.

Shout out to Ebbn for posting the only video I’ve seen from a reasonably well known content creator, that perfectly shows how bad this problem is, and talks about it objectively. In it, he rightfully calls this a “wake up call” for Blizzard. This level of delay is unacceptable, unplayable, and once the novelty has passed, isn’t fun.

In this video, Ebbn describes delays of 30,0000 milliseconds

You can tell in his voice how dejected he is about what should’ve been an epic event

Here we see further, crippling lag, with no combat whatsoever, during what should be a pretty standard sight when layering is gone

At this level of operation, the servers should’ve simply been brought down completely.

Well, you might be saying, that’s a lot of people in one area, surely you have to expect some lag. Sure, maybe some. But a vanilla project called Light’s Hope proved that even a group of volunteer developers, supported only by donations could make a lagless server a reality.

Northdale’s launch had no layers ever, accelerated stress from dynamic spawning, and over 11,000 players simultaneously in the starting zones at one time without so much as a hiccup. Gameplay was buttery smooth, no crashes, and there wasn’t even the slightest hint of lag anywhere to be seen.

Blizzard invited this team to their headquarters before launching Classic, so I’m sure they took every opportunity to learn from them how to replicate such an impressive feat on an (actual) 15 year old client.

and finally, to those saying “yeah, but that’s not actual large scale World PVP.”

Well, here is Monkeynews of APES, Classic’s current world #1 guild, showing you what that looks like on the exact same server when there’s no delay:

Probably one of the best vanilla clips ever made, and also shows a head drop right after for comparison

There still exists an almost uncountable number of unaddressed bugs that alone would be enough to delay phase 2. Most have DIRECT negative effect on Classic PVP combat and include engineering items, movement and mount speeds being incorrect and spell batching. Hunters, Rogues, and Druids in particular have flaws so bad, they have almost broken the viability of these classes completely in PVP.

I will link a master thread that is being kept at the moment by the community, because Blizzard refuses to keep one themselves

These issues can all be debated over and argued against, but at the end of the day nobody can argue against the massive differences you just saw between Classic and the vanilla experience we deserve.

58 Likes

Thank you for addressing this in a concise thread. It is deeply concerning. Blizzard if you are reading this please let us know you are aware, and hopefully have plans to address this. This is game breaking for a huge portion of the WoW classic community. WPvP is integral to the game, as well as the AQ Event.

14 Likes

I haven’t come across this yet, as my server isn’t one of the bigger ones, but I’ve seen enough examples to know this is a big BIG problem.

For 2019, this kind of problem is an embarrassment. There are free-2-play games with far better server capabilities than this.

4 Likes

No changes. This includes server quality

9 Likes

You mean the Frankenpatch 7.1.12 has similar server issues in large scale world PVP as retail servers, that people have been complaining about throughout BFA while trying to warmode? Gee, this is my surprised face.

1 Like

lol

:slight_smile:

1 Like

blizzard literally does not care about this issue

4 Likes

Blizzard with billions of dollars has worse servers than a group of kids in russia can do in their basement. I think they are purposely sabotaging classic. IF you look at the leaks, there is a lot of hostility between classic and retail teams, and it’s getting worse because classic is so popular, and people are mocking shadowlands

5 Likes

Maybe not the nicest of post to make. I’m not on a streamer server and the lag is very comparable. I have yet to see any post or thread where the topic is “Large Scale PvP worked!”

It seems even the low pop servers will lag hard enough if there’s too many people.

It’s only going to get more blatant in phase 2, here’s to hoping for a fix I guess

https://www.twitch.tv/esfandtv/clip/BlazingInterestingJayOSkomodo

And then no one moved for 3 minutes

This is last night after about 160+ Alliance came through the west gate after a back and forth in Felwood with 4 horde raid groups. Back peddled them to Thrall where we wiped em after popping head :wink:

Buff Faerlina.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BreakableAnnoyingWormOneHand

1 Like

If you choose to roll on a server, despite knowing it is massivly over populated, its entirly down to you as a player… even more so when Blizz stated there will be no layering, and creating blue posts warning about it…

im not sure what reality you live in, trying to put this on blizzard

2 Likes

I really don’t care what the video shows.
We don’t want layers and a doctored video won’t work to convince us.
I’ll take some lag any time in order to avoid layers.

4 Likes

To be honest, with a server failure of that magnitude a crash would’ve been preferable to actually sitting through delay THAT BAD.

And in vanilla that many players would’ve simply crashed the server. So in many ways, this isn’t living up to the standards we would’ve gotten 15 years ago.

However, like Light’s Hope proved, it’s absolutely possible to accomplish even that amount of players in the same location on a vanilla server with little or no lag at all

I saw it with my own two eyes, and so have you after watching that video

Also, I just wanted to tell you that this is 2019

4 Likes

Yes its 2019, and players could take responsibility for where they choose to play, blizzard warned us, with a big fat blue post, layers is gone, and wont come back…

5 Likes

That video has 1000 players in one spot.
That never happens in a real game situation.
If you want to crash a server with an event that you arranged on some big streamers feed, you can do it.
But it has 0 effect in the real game.

People just use this because they want layers, and they want layers not to avoid lag, but to make the game easier for them.

3 Likes

It doesn’t seem unreasonable to expect smooth performance regardless of server.

2 Likes

i agree, but did blizzard warn/tell us with a big blue post ?

2 Likes

This was obviously what was gonna happen, I said this before the game even launched lol. Eventually they’ll reach the point where they either can’t remove layers without there being too many people or they will have to keep them

However, Ebbn’s server is STILL LAYERED. So that level of delay on just a single layer, not even the entire realm being present.

We’re talking about a fundamental problem with the server architecture or way the server is coded here. This isn’t about layers. When I said “too many players”, I meant just because it’s a small world and there isn’t enough space. Not that people standing together in org would make the entire city unplayable. That’s pretty common stuff, it happened quite often on Light’s Hope (yes, THAT many people) and there was never a noticeable drop in service

1 Like

Blizz cant do much more then warn people of what will happen, people still have to have the ability to roll with friends, espechially if their paying… so the bottom line is, they warned us, and the choise was ours… people still choose to roll on full servers, knowing layers would be removed before phase 2…

and the last layers will be gone when phase 2 happens

2 Likes