Blizz, we need to talk

This rng system needs protections. Ive geared 4 or 5 characters to 480+. The hardest part of this is the end when you only need one or two more pieces. On one of my characters this was rather painless. On the others varying degrees of difficulty. Such is rng. Sometimes you get long dry spells to even get loot and then the odds are potentially very small that its the piece of loot you need. This feels really bad. If i put in the work i should get the item. Or else whats the point. Protections need to be put in place to put a limit on this rng. I personally have friends that have run instances 18+ 50 or more times for an item while stacking friends to also roll on said item and they still dont have the item they want.

This is compounded by the general state of pugging but that is another issue altogether.

I read the other day that you are making an effort to “respect peoples time” and say that you will be putting in a more generous loot system next season. I dont really want a new loot system or loot handed to me, i just want you to fix the outlier rng but i suspect it will be a huge success.

Now, you are a billion dollar company, i cant seem to understand why you dont have a team of people identifying “quit moments” to protect your product and your customer base from unfair mechanics. It seems to me that you dont respect peoples time because this has been an issue since vanilla.

Fix it blizz. Protect your product and customer base. Its in your own best interest.

@forum trolls. If you dont have a problem getting your items, thats great. Most people wont. Some will because thats how statistics work and thats unfun. Video games should be fun.

Edit:

My proposed solution.

Put a little box in the dungeon journal on the loot tab.

Let me drag an item into that box.

If i run that dungeon 5,10,15,20 times and dont nget that item. Give it to me. Figure out how much of time is acceptable to waste with bad rng based on focus testing and go from there.

I cant even fathom how much money you have lost over the years from people quiting over bad rng.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t need protection.

The game has been chugging along without it for twenty years and apparently the subs are currently at an all time high.

You want protection.

There is a difference between ‘need’ and ‘want’.

4 Likes

Alternative: no.

1 Like

Starting a topic about bad gear RNG by saying you’ve successfully geared up 5 characters to BiS gear isn’t a great strategy.

Is… is that not expected…?

2 Likes

Yes it does but thank you for your opinion.

1 Like

Sounds like you have personally spent more time than many other people have, getting geared up.

If people could get any and all gear they needed (BiS i am assuming) then what’s the point? part of the fun is seeing if you will get a good drop, or the drop you needed. It’s a drive for me personally, and many others. RNG loot has been a part of the game as the Zugg Zugging orcs in classic. It’s most likely not going to change.

However, with S4 and the fated raids. The dinar system is returning, so that “protection” you are ironically and coincidentally talking about, will be coming soon.

AKA anyone who doesn’t agree with you. It’s not a BAD take, just not a good one.

so you know it’s been an issue, nothing has changed because funnily enough people actually find this system cool, and yet…here you are? Grinding out Multiple characters with “ease” to 480, which is a major time consuming feat on its own lol.

I think a clever way to do it would be to have a tracker on each character that counts the number of raid bosses or M+ clears. After so many the character is awarded a Token of Gratuity (or whatever you want to call it) that can be used to increase the upgradable item level range of a piece of gear (capped at mythic track).

It should take a while to get one of these tokens, but it would serve as a nice piece of bad luck protection. When you have that one piece that just won’t drop (ring for you and boots for me) you could use the token on the piece you’re wearing to increase it to the next range of item levels (ie champion to hero).

You’d still have to use crests to upgrade it, but it would give the people with bad rng something to lean on.

1 Like

They already have that “in a sense” for achieving 2k in M+, and i forget the other achievement for raiding…i think it’s just heroic Fyrrak kill if i remember, for a free piece of tier gear.

With that being said, i like that idea for other parts of gear. You still need to grind content, and “soft cap” enough dungeons or raids for another token or something. Thats not terrible.

Did you read the thread?

One way to handle this would be to keep a two dimnsional table for each player and each item. It would start at zero and be incremented by 1 after each attempt.

At the end of a dungeon, raid, whatever, a random number is selected from 1 to 100 (or what ever is right). Then add that number to the roll. Your chances would get better every time you play.

When you go over the threshold (what ever it is) you win the item.

It would be simple to implement.

1 Like

Honestly i dont hate this and i dont think it matters how they do it. But nobody should have to run a dungeon/raid 20+ times for any item that is current and affects performance. Save the extreme rng for the mounts imo.

Well my system would solve that problem as the chance of NOT getting the item would decrease every time you play.

I never advocated for removing rng. Just the extreme instances.

I know that. Its temporary and its not what im asking for. I even said that in my thread.

I put words in my mouth. Not you. Aka exactly what i said is what i meant. If you identify as a forum troll and this triggers you, that is your problem not mine.

RNG is fine. I never advocated for removing it just toning down the extreme iterations that come with every rng system by default because of the nature of rng. Feel free to reread my post.

Edit:

Dont quote people and add your own words. I never said it was easy. I struggled thru crap pugs for hours and hours on every one just like everyone else. When you do things like this its intellectually dishonest and loses respect for your opinion with anyone that has over double digit iq.

This has been a contended issue for many people for a long time.

Putting a “No forum troll posts here” kind of thing to it, usually means that people who disagree with you are trolls. Maybe just my time on the forums.

This can be quite subjective. Many people have amazing luck. I was able to walk away with multiple BiS rings my first couple days of S3. AND the vault providing a tier piece too. I can’t really attest to these “extreme” instances. Most of the time, people just dont like NOT getting gear after running 2-3 dungeons.

Not sure what you are supposed to mean by this? RNG is RNG. you either get really good RNG, or not. Its the swing of the hammer. You will need t provide me instances where Blizzard has gross amounts of low RNG purposefully.

I woulnt say all time high since wrath had about 13 million subs and DF has about half of that

i am referencing what you are talking about to have consistency.

and yet here you are.

Should it really be an expectation to have 5 characters in full BiS each season?

2 Likes

I agree with this and grats.

You are explaining to me that some people have good rng and some people dont? I mean ya that is true.

I dont need to do that at all. Whether its done on purpose or not is irrelevant. If you want me to explain the math behind statistics and mass iterations of low probabilities i dont know that im qualified as an educator or your background in mathematics as a base to start from. Maybe a statistics class?

I JUST got a mythic track weapon on my mistweaver this far into the season. I don’t have time to devote to the raid, but something sooner would have been nice to feel like I was actively progressing towards something when I logged in as opposed to running 8 feeling like the equivalent to tossing 3 coins a well.

Tier acquisition for new toons is also kind of a headache. I hate that it’s easier for me to get the achievement piece before I can get a major slot to drop sometimes lol.

You can literally craft mythic-level gear with the exact stats you want for every slot except trinkets. And I only exclude those because they have set stats…since the alchemy stones are still solid items even if they aren’t super optimized.

1 Like